Denis Nikolayevich Menshov
|Denis Menschow at the Tour de Romandie 2011|
|Full name||Denis Nikolayevich Menshov|
|Date of birth||January 25, 1978|
|Driver type||Tour driver|
|To the team|
|2009, 2010, 2012||Anomaly in the biological passport|
|Most important successes|
|Last updated: October 23, 2015|
Denis Nikolajewitsch Menschow ( Russian Денис Николаевич Меньшов , scientific transliteration Denis Nikolaevič Men'šov ; born January 25, 1978 in Orjol ) is a former Russian cyclist who won the Vuelta a España and the Giro d'Italia once . After finishing his career he was banned for doping .
In 2000 Menschow became a professional with the Spanish cycling team Banesto . At the Tour de France 2003 he was able to achieve a top placement in a "Grand Tour" for the first time in eleventh place .
For the 2005 season, Menschow switched to the Dutch team Rabobank, where he developed into a successful tour specialist : He came second in the Vuelta a España in 2005 behind Roberto Heras , who was meanwhile disqualified for doping , but who was subsequently awarded the victory. Two years later, Menschow won the Vuelta a España 2007 with 3:31 minutes ahead of Carlos Sastre . At the Giro d'Italia 2009 he won with 0:41 minutes ahead of the later disqualified Danilo Di Luca . During his time at Rabobank, he achieved five more placements in the top ten of a major tour of the country, with his third place in the Tour de France 2010 being revoked in 2014 for doping. The first suspicions of doping were also made in 2009. In the context of the so-called human plasma scandal , Menschow was accused of having carried out prohibited blood transfusions together with teammates in Vienna .
After a year with the Spanish team Geox-TMC , with whom he finished the Giro d'Italia 2011 in seventh place and the Vuelta a España in 2011 in fifth, he switched to the Russian Katusha team in 2012 , but was unable to match the great successes of previous years tie in. In the Vuelta a España , he won at least one stage. He also secured the Russian championship title in the individual time trial.
In the spring of 2013, Menshov announced his resignation, referring to persistent knee problems. In July 2014 it became known that Menschow had been banned by the World Cycling Association UCI for doping for two years until April 9, 2015 due to abnormalities in his Biological Passport . His results at the Tour de France 2009 , 2010 and 2012 were canceled.
In the course of the doping investigation by the Public Prosecutor of Padua at the end of 2014, he was suspected of having been a customer of the controversial sports medicine specialist Michele Ferrari .
One day race
- Clasica Ciclista los Puertos 2003
- Russian champion - individual time trial 2012
- Tour de l'Avenir 2001
- Junior ranking Tour de France 2003
- Tour of the Basque Country 2004
- Vuelta a España 2007, mountain classification and combined classification
- Tour of Murcia 2009
- Giro d'Italia 2009
Stage wins in round trips ( number of stages / year )
- one stage Tour de France : 1/2006
- two stages of the Giro d'Italia : 2/2009
- five stages of Vuelta a España : 1/2004, 2/2005, 1/2007, 1/2012
- two stages Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré : 1/2002, 1/2006
- One stage Tour of the Basque Country : 1/2004
- a stage Paris – Nice : 1/2004
- One stage Tour of Catalonia : 1/2007
Placements in the Grand Tours
|Tour de France||47||93||11||DNF||85||5||DNF||3||-|
|Vuelta a España||-||-||-||DNF||2||DNF||1||-||-||41||5||-|
- Doping News: Spanish court declares Roberto Heras the 2005 Vuelta winner . live-radsport.ch. December 22, 2012. Accessed October 23, 2015.
- Race director: Heras is the winner of the 2005 Vuelta . JJnet.dk A / S, CyclingQuotes.com. November 12, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- UCI ProTour Results - Vuelta a España / 09/18/2005 . Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), uci.ch. Accessed on October 23, 2015. ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- radsport-news.com from July 12, 2014: abnormalities in the blood passport cost the 2010 tour podium
- velonews.com of July 12, 2014: Retired pro Denis Menchov suspended until April 2015 over biological passport irregularities
- Gazetta dello Sport: Systematic doping in Astana. radsport-news.com, December 10, 2014, accessed December 11, 2014 .
- Menchov and Petrov sports directors at Gazprom - RusVelo. In: radsport-news.com. December 26, 2018, accessed December 26, 2018 .
- Denis Nikolajewitsch Menschow in the database of Radsportseiten.net
- Denis Nikolajewitsch Menschow in the Tour de France database(French / English )
- Denis Nikolajewitsch Menschow in the database of Sports-Reference (English; archived from the original )
|SURNAME||Menshov, Denis Nikolajewitsch|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Меньшов, Денис Николаевич (Russian spelling)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Russian cyclist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 25, 1978|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oryol , Soviet Union|