Division 1A 2019/20
|Division 1A 2019/20|
|Champions League||Club Bruges|
|Europe League||Royal Antwerp|
|Cup winners||Royal Antwerp|
|Gates||658 (ø 2.84 per game)|
|spectator||2,469,389 (ø 10,644 per game)|
( Royal Antwerp ) 18 goals
|← Division 1A 2018/19|
The KV Mechelen had risen directly as a champion and promoted champion after a year in the second class. A contrary decision by the Complaints Commission was overturned by the Belgian Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The schedule for the 2019/20 season was announced on July 1, 2019. Accordingly, the opening game took place on July 26, 2019. The last matchday of 2019 (the 6th matchday of the second half of the season) took place on December 26 and 27, 2019. After a short break, the 1st division continued on the weekend of January 17-19, 2020. The last day of the main round was scheduled for March 15, 2020.
Since the exclusion of KV Mechelen was ineffective when the schedule was announced, Mechelen was included in the schedule. The Belgian Football Association stated that in the event of the confirmation of the judgment by KFCO, Beerschot Wilrijk would have taken over the fixtures. Otherwise the schedule would have remained unchanged.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic , the season was canceled by decision of the National Security Council on May 6, 2020. At this point, 29 of the 30 game days of the main round had been played.
Promotion from Division 1B 2018/19
The Appeals Committee of on June 1, 2019 decided Belgian Football Association , the KV Mechelen because of the manipulation of the game against Waasland-Beveren of 11 March 2018 the season 2017/18 with the deprivation of the rise in the first division to punish. Mechelen should remain in Division 1B in the 2019/20 season and instead the loser of the promotion games, KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk , should be promoted to Division 1A. In addition, the club's participation in the UEFA Europa League has been canceled.
On June 6, 2019, the club appealed against this decision to the Belgian Court of Arbitration for Sport. On July 10, 2019, it determined that the withdrawal of ascent is not a permissible sanction. Therefore, KV Mechelen will play in the first division in the 2019/20 season, and KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk will remain in division 1B. The arbitral tribunal has not yet commented on the question of participation in the European Cup.
An interim injunction against the commencement of game operations according to the game schedule, which had been obtained in the meantime, became irrelevant due to the final judgment of the arbitration tribunal.
The final verdict was announced on July 17, 2019. Mechelen was given the right to start in the first division, but was excluded from playing the European and Belgian Cups for the 2019/20 season.
Clubs in Division 1A 2019/20
The following clubs have qualified for the 2019/20 season:
- the remaining teams of Division 1A 2018/19 :
- from Division 1B 2018/19 :
The 16 clubs initially played the regular season in a double round. The final table served as the basis for qualifying for various placement rounds.
The six best-placed clubs after 30 match days reached the championship round (play-offs 1). The bottom of the table was relegated directly; For him, the winner of the promotion play-offs of Division 1B plays first class in the coming season.
Unlike in the previous year, the clubs in places 7 to 16 of the first division (including the relegated) together with the clubs in places 1 to 6 of division 1B (including the promoted) in four groups of four clubs each played against each other in a double round. The winners of the four groups would have determined the participants in the play-off 2 final in two semi-finals. The semi-finals and finals would have been played in the first and second leg.
The winner of this Play-off 2 final would continue to play in another play-off against the fourth or fifth place in Play-off 1 for the last international starting place.
It should also be noted that in the championship round half of the number of points achieved from the 30 games in the preliminary round was carried over, so that the other matches could only have caused minor changes depending on the table situation. The points from the 1st round were rounded up if necessary, but reduced by one point in the event of a tie.
In contrast to other leagues, such as the Bundesliga , the game plans for the round two were not identical (with rotated home law). Rather, a completely different game plan was created for the second half of the season.
There is also a peculiarity in the calculation basis for table placement in the event of a tie. Similar to some other European leagues, the first thing that counted was the direct comparison of wins and only then the goal difference.
Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic
After the increased incidence of COVID-19 diseases in Belgium from March 5, 2020 , the government issued the first restrictions after a meeting of the National Security Council on March 10, 2020. After that, outdoor events were still permitted without restrictions. Pro League therefore saw no need for any restrictions on matchday 30. If the stadiums are not sold out, the spectators should be asked to distribute themselves evenly over the blocks. If possible, mobile food and beverage stalls should also be set up to reduce the queues in front of them.
The press conference planned for March 16, 2020 to present the play-off schedule has also been canceled. The game plan should simply be published on the Internet.
Due to further developments, the Pro League decided on the morning of March 12, 2020, after consulting with experts, to hold the games closed to the public. On the afternoon of the same day, the National Security Council banned all sporting events until April 3, 2020.
On March 19, 2020, after consulting the regional associations for amateur sports and the Pro League, the Belgian Football Association decided that no professional games would take place in Belgium up to and including April 30, 2020. A joint training session for the players was prohibited until April 5, 2020 by a decision of the government's national security council.
On April 2nd, the Pro League Board of Directors recommended that the season be canceled. The final decision should be made by the assembly of all clubs on April 15th. This meeting has been postponed several times until May 15, 2020. After UEFA initially questioned the participation of Belgian clubs in the European Cup next season after the announcement of the termination plans, it accepted a season termination on April 23, 2020 due to a government order, or if the continuation of the season made no sense for financial reasons . According to the proposal of the Board of Directors, Club Bruges, which was leading the table of the main round with a 15 point lead at the time of the possible termination, should become the premature champions. The question of promotion from Division 1B , where one of two promotion games had already taken place, remained open in the proposal .
At its meeting on May 6, 2020, the National Security Council banned all sporting events (including those without spectators) until July 31, 2020. It was left to the meeting of the clubs on May 15, 2020 to only vote on the sporting consequences of this decision. There it was decided that the championship, European Cup places and relegation according to the table will be decided after 29 match days.
Due to the victory in the cup final on August 1, 2020, Royal Antwerp is qualified for the group stage of the Europa League; Sporting Charleroi, however, only for qualifying for the Europa League.
Contradiction from Waasland-Beveren
On May 25, 2020 Waasland-Beveren appealed against his relegation to the Belgian Court of Arbitration for Sports. With a win on the last day of the match and a simultaneous defeat by Ostend, the club would have been saved and Ostend would have been relegated.
On July 8, 2020, the arbitral tribunal declared the decision of the General Assembly regarding the relegation invalid. It was an incomprehensible unequal treatment that the table status at the end of the season was used for the question of relegation from Division 1A. In Division 1B only the second promotion game was open at this time, and it was insisted on carrying out the same decision. (Since according to the legal situation in May there was an absolute sports ban until July 31, 2020, this game was scheduled for August 2, 2020.)
The Pro League board of directors decided on July 13, 2020 to hold on to the relegation decision against Waasland-Beveren. It should just be better justified. The final decision can only be made by a general assembly of all associations, which cannot take place until July 31, 2020 due to the invitation period. Waasland did not agree to an early implementation.
On July 24, 2020, the club filed a lawsuit against Pro League before the Dendermonde Commercial Court . In the opinion of the association, the decision on relegation would currently be canceled, so that Waasland-Beveren should be listed in the division 1A schedule until a new decision by the general assembly. With a ruling of July 30, 2020, the court followed this view and set a fine of 2.5 million euros for every game played after the invalid game schedule. At the same time, the court emphasized that the planned new reasoning was not sufficient either, so that it would repeat this judgment if Waasland appealed to the arbitral tribunal again after a corresponding decision by the general assembly.
Pro League temporarily withdrew the schedule on the same day.
At the general assembly on the following day, the clubs decided that there would be no relegated team in the 2019/20 season. Waasland-Beveren remained in Division 1A. This will be increased to 18 clubs in the next two seasons.
|6th||KV Mechelen (N, P)||29||13||5||11||45:42||+3||44|
|7th||KRC Genk (M)||29||13||5||11||45:42||+3||44|
|9.||SV Zulte Waregem||29||10||6th||13||41:49||−8||36|
|10.||Royal Excel Mouscron||29||9||9||11||38:40||−2||36|
|12.||VV St. Truiden||29||9||6th||14th||33:50||−17||33|
|Status: March 7, 2020 - season ended|
Placement criteria: 1st points - 2nd wins - 3rd goal difference - 4th goals scored
|(M)||reigning Belgian champion|
|(P)||reigning Belgian cup winner|
|(N)||Promoted to the second division 2018/19|
The crosstab shows the results of all games this season. The home team is listed in the left column, the visiting team in the top row.
|2019/20 As of March 7, 2020 (season canceled )
|Club Bruges||2: 1||4-0||1: 1||2-0||4-0||1: 1||1-0||3-0||2: 1||3-0||2: 1||6-0||1-0||1-0||0-0|
|RSC Anderlecht||1: 2||3: 3||2-0||1: 2||7-0||1-0||0-0||0-0||2: 1||0-0||0-0||4: 1||1-0||1: 2||6: 1|
|KAA Gent||1: 1||1: 1||4: 1||2-0||2-0||3: 1||1: 4||2-0||3: 2||3-0||2-0||4: 1||3: 1||1: 1||6: 1|
|KRC Genk||1: 2||1-0||0: 2||3: 1||0: 2||1: 3||1-0||2: 1||1-0||4: 1||1: 2||2: 1||2: 2||2: 1|
|KV Ostend||0: 2||3: 2||2: 1||2: 4||1: 1||1: 4||0: 1||0: 3||3: 1||2: 1||0: 1||1-0||2: 2||1: 1||2: 3|
|SV Zulte Waregem||0: 2||1: 2||2: 2||0: 3||2-0||3: 1||2: 2||6-0||0: 2||5-0||5: 1||1: 2||2-0||1-0|
|Standard Liege||0-0||1: 1||0: 1||1-0||2: 1||4-0||1: 1||2: 1||2: 1||1: 2||2-0||0-0||4: 1||1-0||3-0|
|Sporting Charleroi||0-0||1: 2||1: 1||2: 1||5-0||4-0||2-0||3-0||2: 1||2-0||0: 3||1-0||2: 1||1-0|
|KV Kortrijk||2: 2||4: 2||0: 2||0: 1||2: 2||2-0||3: 1||1: 1||1-0||2: 3||1: 3||4-0||1: 2||0: 1||1: 2|
|Cercle Bruges||0: 2||1: 2||1-0||1: 2||2-0||0: 2||0: 3||1: 3||3: 2||1-0||2: 1||2: 2||1: 2||1: 2|
|KV Mechelen||0: 5||2-0||0: 3||3: 1||1-0||0: 2||2: 3||2: 2||1: 1||3: 1||4-0||1: 2||2: 2||3: 1||1: 1|
|Waasland-Beveren||1: 3||0: 3||0: 4||3: 1||1: 2||2: 1||0: 4||1: 2||1: 1||1: 3||1-0||1: 1||0: 4||0: 1|
|VV St. Truiden||1: 2||0-0||3: 3 1||1-0||0-0||2: 1||1: 3||2-0||0: 1||0: 3||1: 1||0: 1||1: 1|
|Royal Excel Mouscron||0: 1||0-0||2: 1||2: 2||3: 1||2: 2||2: 2||1: 1||2-0||0: 1||1: 2||1-0||1: 3||3: 1||2-0|
|Royal Antwerp||2: 1||0-0||3: 2||1: 1||3: 1||2: 1||2: 2||1: 1||3: 1||3: 1||1-0||4: 1||2-0||1-0|
|KAS Eupen||0-0||2: 3||2-0||1-0||1: 1||1: 2||1: 1||1: 2||1-0||0: 2||1: 1||0: 2||2: 1||1: 4|
List of goalscorers
The top scorer was officially awarded the Golden Bull ( Le Taureau d'Or or Gouden Stier ) by the Pro League, the association of clubs in divisions 1A and 1B . Only the games of the main round and play-offs 1 and 2 were taken into account, but not the subsequent finals for the Europa League qualification.
If there is a tie between the goals scored, the away and home goals, the number of minutes played, the number of assists and goals without a penalty (in this order).
Status: March 7, 2020 - season ended
|1.||Dieumerci Mbokani||Royal Antwerp||18th|
|2.||Jonathan David||KAA Gent|
|3.||Hans Vanaken||Club Bruges||13|
|4th||Kazeh Rezaei||Sporting Charleroi||12|
|5.||Lior Refaelov||FC Antwerp||11|
|6th||Roman Yaremchuk||KAA Gent||10|
|7th||Michel Vlap||RSC Anderlecht|
|8th.||Igor de Camargo||KV Mechelen|
|9.||Gianni Bruno||SV Zulte-Waregem||9|
- Patrice Capelle: Genk, champion en titre, et le KV Courtrai ouvrent le bal de la Jupiler Pro League 2019-2020. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, July 1, 2019, accessed July 14, 2019 (French).
- Noah Fajersztajn: La Pro League acte prend. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, June 1, 2019, accessed June 2, 2019 (French).
- Match fixing process: Mechelen declines, Waasland-Beveren acquitted. Belgian Broadcasting, June 1, 2019, accessed June 2, 2019 .
- KV Mechelen in beroep bij het bas. KV Mechelen, June 6, 2019, accessed on June 6, 2019 (Dutch).
- Patrice Sintzen: Le FC Malines et Waasland-Beveren joueront en Jupiler Pro League. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, July 10, 2019, accessed July 10, 2019 (French).
- Rechtbank geeft Beerschot gelijk. KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk, July 13, 2019, accessed on July 14, 2019 (Dutch).
- Patrice Sintzen: Officiel: La Jupiler Pro League débutera le 26 juillet. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, July 18, 2019, accessed July 22, 2019 (French).
- CBAS judgment: No point deduction for KV Mechelen , grenzecho.net, accessed on July 19, 2019
- Algemene Vergadering Pro League: wijziging van competitieformat naar POII van 4x4 ploegen. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, June 7, 2019, accessed June 8, 2019 (Dutch).
- Modification of the format de la compétition: of the play-offs 2 avec 4 groupes de 4 clubs. In: Proximus-Sport.be. Retrieved June 8, 2019 (French).
- Bruno Verscheure: Communication de la Pro League sur les directives communiquées par le Conseil national de sécurité. In: sport.be. Pro League, March 10, 2020, accessed March 29, 2020 (French).
- Patrice Sintzen: Update des recommandations et mesures de la Pro League sur le Coronavirus. In: sport.be. Pro League, March 11, 2020, accessed on March 29, 2020 (French).
- Bruno Verscheure: La 30e journée de championnat et la finale de 1B à huis clos, la finale de la Croky Cup est reportée. In: sport.be. Pro League, March 12, 2020, accessed on March 29, 2020 (French).
- Patrice Capelle: Toutes les rencontres annulées jusqu'au 3 avril. In: sport.be. Pro League, March 12, 2020, accessed on March 29, 2020 (French).
- L'Union belge de football annonce qu'aucune reprise n'aura lieu avant le 1st may. In: proximus-sports.be. Proximus League, March 19, 2020, accessed on March 29, 2020 (French).
- L'Assemblée générale de la Pro League doit valid l'arrêt des compétitions reportée on 24 avril. In: proximus-sports.be. Proximus League, April 9, 2020, accessed April 9, 2020 (French).
- L'Assemblée Générale de la Pro League report on 15 May. In: sport.be. Pro League, May 3, 2020, accessed May 5, 2020 (French).
- Chaled Nahar: Season end - UEFA threatens to be excluded from the Champions League. In: sportschau.de. April 3, 2020, accessed April 9, 2020 .
- UEFA allows national leagues to end the season after all. In: sportschau.de. April 23, 2020, accessed May 5, 2020 .
- 1st Division: Pro League Board of Directors recommends the end of the season. Belgian Broadcasting, April 2, 2020, accessed April 2, 2020 .
- Green light for the next phase of relaxation - visits to small groups at home are permitted from Sunday. Belgian Broadcasting, May 6, 2020, accessed May 6, 2020 .
- Club Brugge is kampioen, Waasland-Beveren degradeert. In: sporza.be. VRT, May 15, 2020, accessed May 15, 2020 (Dutch).
- Waasland conteste sa Relegation devant la CBAS. In: proximus-sports.be. Proximus League, May 25, 2020, accessed on July 9, 2020 (French).
- Martijn De Jonghe: "Waasland-Beveren n'a jamais perdu l'espoir". In: proximus-sports.be. Proximus League, July 8, 2020, accessed on July 9, 2020 (French).
- Martin Weynants: La Pro League veut maintenir un championnat à 16 et sans Waasland-Beveren. RTBF, July 13, 2020, accessed on July 31, 2020 (French).
- Waasland-Beveren attaque la Pro League et l'Union belge en référé. In: proximus.be. July 24, 2020, accessed on July 31, 2020 (French).
- Le jugement du tribunal implique "une suspension des compétitions" de D1A and D1B. In: proximus.be. July 30, 2020, accessed on July 31, 2020 (French).
- L'Union Belgium et la Pro League prennent acte de la décision, le "calendrier sans effet". In: proximus.be. July 30, 2020, accessed on July 31, 2020 (French).
- Communication après l'Assemblée Générale de la Pro League. Pro League, July 31, 2020, accessed August 2, 2020 (French).
- classification , sport.be
- Calendar , sport.be
- Patrice Capelle: Pagaille dans le derby limbourgeois. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, September 28, 2019, accessed September 30, 2019 (French).
- Patrice Capelle: STVV-Genk ne sera pas rejoué. In: sport.be. Jupiler League, December 4, 2019, accessed December 5, 2019 (French).
- Règlement meilleur buteur. (Regulate). In: sport.be. Jupiler League, accessed September 6, 2019 (French).
- Le Taureau d'Or. In: sport.be. Jupiler League (French).
- Bruno Verscheure: Mbokani sacré meilleur buteur. In: sport.be. Jupiler Pro League, May 20, 2020, accessed May 24, 2020 (French).