Doctor Strange (2016)
|German title||Doctor Strange|
|Original title||Doctor Strange|
|Country of production||United States|
Jon Spaihts ,
C. Robert Cargill
Sabrina Plisco ,
Doctor Strange is an American superhero film set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe . The protagonist is the eponymous figure Dr. Stephen Strange , based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name . Scott Derrickson directed it. The protagonist is portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch .
The film premiered on October 20, 2016. The theatrical release took place in Austria on October 26, 2016 and in Germany and German-speaking Switzerland on October 27, 2016. According to Dr. Strange (1978) the second film version of the comic book as a real film.
In Kamar-Taj, a secret enclave and training center for magicians in Nepal , the renegade Kaecilius and his disciples murder the guardian of the library and steal various pages from a forbidden book. The supreme master and former teacher of Kaecilius, the oldest, tries to stop the thieves, but they flee through a dimensional portal to London and can escape from there.
Stephen Strange , a recognized but arrogant neurosurgeon , is seriously injured in a car accident to the nerve tissue of his hands, so that he cannot continue his career. In a desperate search for a cure, he finally learns of a patient named Jonathan Pangborn, who after a spinal cord injury was miraculously healed again. Strange seeks out Pangborn, who tells him about an ominous master in a place called Kamar-Taj who taught him to learn to walk again through the power of his mind.
Eager for recovery, Strange goes to Kathmandu , where Mordo , another magician, takes him to the elder. The Elder reveals the true nature of her order to the initially skeptical Strange by hurling his mind on a journey through the web of reality, and explains to him that Pangborn is one of her former students who left Kamar-Taj after being helped by Charms to overcome his paralysis. At first Strange is rejected by the elder, fearing his possible corruption through his selfishness, but Mordo can convince her that her order will soon be able to use his innate magical talent very well.
Through persistence and diligence, Strange developed over time into a gifted practitioner of the magical arts; but his awakened thirst for knowledge finally drives him to put on a mystical amulet - the eye of the agamotto -, open the forbidden book and try out the rituals described there. Mordo and Wong , the new custodians of the library, can just prevent his rash actions from distorting the laws of nature and thus leading to catastrophic consequences. Through her, Strange learns that the Order has the task of protecting the world from the invasion of forces from dark, evil dimensions; the protection of the earth is taken over by three temples in London, Hong Kong and New York , over which the magicians are supposed to watch and with which Kamar-Taj is connected as a kind of hub over dimensional doors. One of those dark dimensions in which time does not matter is ruled by the entity Dormammu, and the pages stolen from Kaecilius contain a ritual that can be used to create an opening between the earth and Dormammu's home.
As soon as Strange found out about these things, the London Temple was attacked and destroyed by Kaecilius. The shock wave from the explosion throws Strange through one of the dimensional doors into the New York temple, which is next attacked by the renegades. With the help of his powers, which he does not yet fully understand how to use, and a magical artifact from the temple - the floating cloak - Strange fends off Kaecilius. He learns that it is Kaecilius' goal to create a world without time, in which everyone will be immortal, and that the eldest also uses the forbidden spells to save herself from dying through the power of Dormammu's dimension. Critically wounded by Kaecilius' students, Strange confides in his work colleague and former lover, Christine Palmer, before returning to the temple, where Mordo and the elder join him. There Strange confronts the Supreme Mage with his newly acquired information, but then Kaecilius starts a new attack. The eldest is mortally wounded, but when Strange tries to keep her from dying in his astral form , she explains that he must break the rules himself to prevent Dormammu from penetrating earth and thus for a greater goal than his own Fight interests before letting go of her life.
Strange and Mordo head to Hong Kong, the apostate's next target. But the temple has already been destroyed by Kaecilius, and the dark dimension of Dormammus begins to encroach on earth. Strange uses Agamotto's eye and the forbidden spells to turn back time, but Kaecilius is able to halt the process shortly before completion. Strange then travels to the dark dimension and traps himself and Dormammu in a time warp until Dormammu gives up and withdraws from the earth again together with Kaecilius and the rest of his students. Disaffected by the actions of Stranges and the elders, Mordo breaks away from the wizarding community. Strange, meanwhile, willingly takes the title of Supreme Mystical Guardian on his shoulders and puts the Eye of Agamotto, an infinity stone, back in its rightful place in the library.
In a mid-credit scene , Thor asks Strange to help him find his missing father, Odin. In a post-credit scene , Mordo visits Pangborn and, convinced that too many wizards pose a threat to the security of the world, he deprives him of his magic powers.
Failed preliminary projects
Even before the film Doctor Strange was made, there were numerous attempts to film the comic series of the same name based on it. For example, in 1986 a film about the character was being planned, which should have been directed by Bob Gale . However, the film was never realized. In 1989, Stan Lee co- wrote a screenplay for Doctor Strange with Alex Cox . The film was to be distributed by Regency Enterprises , but they worked with Warner Bros. from 1991. Because Warner Bros. was at a dispute with Marvel, the film was never realized. In 1992 Marvel entered into a cooperation with Savoy Pictures , whereupon a film about Doctor Strange should emerge, directed by Wes Craven and written by David S. Goyer . In April 1997, however, the film rights went to Columbia Pictures , which Jeff Welch wrote a new screenplay, which was also not made into a film until Columbia Pictures' film rights expired in April 2000.
In June 2001 the film rights went to Dimension Films , but in August 2001 Miramax acquired from Dimensions. However, there was no implementation, like a renewed attempt by Marvel Studios themselves, which were planning the release of a Doctor Strange film for 2005 in March 2003 . Also, Paramount Pictures , which acquired in April 2005, the film rights, filmed Doctor Strange is not the end.
In March 2009, the company commissioned Marvel writers to write scripts for characters from their own publishing company, who had been less well-known until then, in order to help them gain recognition. A script for Doctor Strange should also be created. In January 2013, Kevin Feige , President of Marvel Studios confirmed that Doctor Strange would appear in so-called "Phase Three" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe . As potential directors in March 2014, in addition to the ultimate director Scott Derrickson , Mark Andrews and Jonathan Levine were also under discussion. The decision in favor of Derrickson was made in June 2014.
Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer were commissioned to write a script for the script back in 2010 . In June 2014 there were negotiations with Jon Spaihts , who should revise the script, after Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger had already been in discussion in February 2014 . Spaiths was ultimately supposed to write a new script. In December 2015, C. Robert Cargill announced that he, too, was co-writing the now finished script. Ben Davis , who had previously been responsible for the films Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers: Age of Ultron in the Marvel Cinematic Universe , was confirmed as responsible for the camera .
In addition to Benedict Cumberbatch , Tom Hardy and Jared Leto were originally also in conversation. Later, Ethan Hawke , Oscar Isaac , Ewan McGregor , Matthew McConaughey , Jake Gyllenhaal , Colin Farrell and Keanu Reeves were potential candidates to play Doctor Strange. Negotiations eventually broke out with Cumberbatch for the role, and in December 2014 Marvel announced that Cumberbatch would play the title role in Doctor Strange . It was later announced that Chiwetel Ejiofor would star in the film. Ultimately, it became known that he will play the villain Baron Mordo. In May 2015, Tilda Swinton was under discussion to play the role of the elder, who is a male character in the comics and the former mentor of Dr. Stephen Strange is about to hatch. Swinton confirmed in July that year that she would impersonate the elder. In January 2016, the role of Librarian Wong was also filled with Benedict Wong .
Filming for Doctor Strange began on November 4, 2015 in Nepal under the working title Checkmate . It was filmed in and around Kathmandu . The temple sites Swayambhunath and Pashupatinath served as a backdrop. In Kathmandu itself, the film was filmed in Tamel and on New Road . Furthermore, the Patan Durbar Square in Lalitpur served as a film set in Nepal . In the same month, scenes were also recorded in Hell's Kitchen in New York City . On November 11, 2015, the film team moved on to the United Kingdom , where work at Longcross Studios continued through March 2016. Additional footage was shot in Pinewood-Shepperton and Shepperton Studios in the UK and again in New York City. While it was filmed in the UK, it was filmed at Exeter College , Oxford in January 2016. The following month was also shot in London . Ultimately, filming continued in April 2016 in the Flatiron District of New York City, where it ended. Thor: Day of Decision -Director Taika Waititi came to the set and filmed the dialogue between Thor and Stephen in the New York Temple, which he wrote himself. This dialogue, which was filmed before the shooting of Thor: Decision Day , can ultimately be seen as a mid-credit scene in Doctor Strange and, somewhat modified, in Thor: Decision Day . Stan Lee's cameo was one of three scenes that Guardians-of-the-Galaxy director James Gunn filmed for future Marvel films while not filming Doctor Strange .
The German dubbing was done by Film- und Fernseh-Synchron GmbH in Berlin . It was created for a dialogue book by Klaus Bickert and the dialogue director of Björn Schalla and Robin Kahn Meyer . Benedict Cumberbatch , Mads Mikkelsen and Rachel McAdams received their regular speakers in Sascha Rotermund , Matthias Klie and Ranja Bonalana .
|Dr. Stephen Strange||Benedict Cumberbatch||Sascha Rotermund|
|Dormammu||Benedict Cumberbatch ( Facial Capture & Voice) 1|
|unknown (voice) 1|
|The oldest||Tilda Swinton||Traudel Haas|
|Master Mordo||Chiwetel Ejiofor||Torben Liebrecht|
|Kaecilius||Mads Mikkelsen||Matthias Klie|
|Dr. Christine Palmer||Rachel McAdams||Ranja Bonalana|
|Wong||Benedict Wong||Achim book|
|Dr. Nicodemus West||Michael Stuhlbarg||Axel Malzacher|
|Jonathan Pangborn||Benjamin Bratt||Erik Schäffler|
|Bus passenger||Stan Lee||Peter Groeger|
|Thor Odinson||Chris Hemsworth||Tommy Morgenstern|
Marketing and Publishing
A first trailer was released on April 12, 2016. In the summer of 2016, the two-part comic book Marvel's Doctor Strange Prelude was released. The first volume tells the prehistory of Wong, the second volume the prehistory of The Ancient One.
Doctor Strange's theatrical release was originally scheduled for July 8, 2016, but has been postponed. The film premiered in Los Angeles on October 20, 2016 . The film was released in Germany and German-speaking Switzerland on October 27, 2016, one day after it opened in theaters in Austria. Doctor Strange has been performing in the United States since November 4, 2016. In China, the film is one of the 34 foreign productions that may be shown there in 2016 according to a quota.
In the United States, Doctor Strange was rated PG-13 by the MPAA for individual scenes of violence and frightening images. In Germany, where the film is FSK 12, the statement of reasons for the release states: “The film is told with elements typical of superhero films and presents numerous tension and action scenes at high speed. Violence is never portrayed too drastically. From the age of 12, these aspects are able to classify and process these aspects in the genre setting, which can be recognized at any time as fictional and exaggerated.
The film has so far won 89 percent of the reviews evaluated by Rotten Tomatoes .
After a press screening on October 19, 2016, critics considered the cast, the film music and the visually impressive action sequences to be particularly noteworthy.
Entertainment Weekly's Chris Nashawaty says Doctor Strange is as exciting as a number of other Marvel films, but what makes him unique is his intoxicating style, which most Marvel films have not yet dared to approach.
After its theatrical release, the film reached number 1 in the box office in a number of countries, including China, Russia, France and Australia. The worldwide revenue of the film is 677.7 million US dollars, making the film number 11 of the most successful films of 2016 and number 123 of the world's most successful films of all time (as of July 2019). In Germany, the film recorded 397,819 visitors in the first four days and attracted 1,461,058 visitors to the cinemas.
The film received a large number of nominations and awards, including a 2017 Excellence in Production Design Awards nomination and a 2017 Costume Designers Guild Awards nomination for Alexandra Byrne . The following list contains a selection of the most famous award ceremonies.
- Award in the category Animated Effects in a Live Action Production
- Nomination for Best Production Design ( John Bush and Charles Wood )
- Nomination for Best Make-up and Best Hairstyles ( Jeremy Woodhead )
- Nomination for the best visual effects ( Richard Bluff , Stéphane Ceretti , Paul Corbould and Jonathan Fawkner )
- Nomination for best action film
- Nomination for the best visual effects
- Nomination for Best Actor in an Action Film ( Benedict Cumberbatch )
- Nomination for Best Actress in an Action Film ( Tilda Swinton )
- Nomination for Best Sci-Fi / Horror Film
Hollywood Film Awards 2016
- Honored with the Hollywood Visual Effects Award (Stephane Ceretti and Richard Bluff)
Hollywood Music In Media Awards 2016
- Nomination in the category Best Score - Sci-Fi / Fantasy Film ( Michael Giacchino )
- Nomination in the Best Visual Effects category (Richard Bluff, Stéphane Ceretti, Paul Corbould and Jonathan Fawkner)
- Nomination in the Best Visual Effects category
- Nomination for Best Costume Design ( Alexandra Byrne )
- Nomination for best stunt ensemble in a film
- Nomination in the Choice Fantasy Movie category
- Nomination in the category Choice Fantasy Movie Actor (Benedict Cumberbatch)
- Nomination in the category Choice Fantasy Movie Actress ( Rachel McAdams )
In December 2018 it was announced that a sequel to Doctor Strange was being worked on. Scott Derrickson takes over the direction again, while Benedict Cumberbatch is back on board as the leading actor. The film is scheduled to go into production in 2020 and will be released in May 2021 under the original title Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness .
- Release for Doctor Strange . Voluntary self-regulation of the film industry (PDF; test number: 163308 / K).
- Age rating for Doctor Strange (3D) . Youth Media Commission .
- Stan Lee: Stan Lee Sounds Off . Comics Feature Lee April 1986. p. 40.
- The Stax Report: Script Review of Dr. Strange , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Writing ( Memento of the original from October 17, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel characters holding attraction for filmmakers , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Goyer Talks Dr. Strange & Ghost Rider , accessed April 10, 2016.
- A Mania For Marvel , accessed April 10, 2016.
- 'Noon' strikes twice at Spyglass for 3 scribes , accessed April 10, 2014.
- Doctor Goyer Is Strange , accessed April 10, 2016.
- New Line sharpens 'Blade 3' , accessed April 10, 2016.
- News , accessed April 10, 2016
- Marvel to Make Movies Based on Comic Books , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel's hiring writers , accessed on 10 April 2016th
- 'Ant-Man,' 'Doctor Strange' Lead Marvel's Phase Three , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Update on the Shortlist for the Doctor Strange Film's Director , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Scott Derrickson to Direct Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' (Exclusive) , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Will Dr. Strange Be Marvel's First Superhero To Fly Under the Disney Banner? , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Update on the Shortlist for the Doctor Strange Film's Director , accessed April 10, 2016.
- 'Doctor Strange' Heating Up as Marvel Vets Directors (Exclusive) , accessed April 10, 2014.
- Benedict Cumberbatch to Play Doctor Strange , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Doctor Strange Re-Teams Director Scott Derrickson With Sinister Writer C. Robert Cargill , accessed April 11, 2016.
- 'Doctor Strange' set for "dark", "psychedelic" look , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel Starts 'Doctor Strange' Search: Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch Early Wish-Listers , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel Setting Jon Spaiht's To Script 'Doctor Strange' , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel's Doctor Strange: Who's in the Mix? , accessed April 10, 2016.
- 'Doctor Strange' Update: Colin Farrell Enters the Mix, But Don't Count Out Benedict or Joaquin (Exclusive) , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Benedict Cumberbatch 'Doctor Strange' Deal Closes At Marvel , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel Courting Chiwetel Ejiofor for Leading Role in 'Doctor Strange' (Exclusive) , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor's 'Doctor Strange' Character Revealed: He'll Play Baron Mordo , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Tilda Swinton, in Talks to Join Benedict Cumberbatch in Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' (Exclusive) , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Tilda Swinton Explains Why She's “Really, Really, Really Excited” to Star in Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' , accessed April 10, 2016.
- 'The Martian' Actor Nabs Key 'Doctor Strange' Role (Exclusive) , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Marvel’s 'Doctor Strange' filming on location in NYC right now , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Bearded and bedraggled Benedict Cumberbatch is worlds away from his usual clean-cut image as he films scenes as Doctor Strange in Nepal , accessed on April 10, 2016.
- Benedict Cumberbatch in Nepal , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Cumberbatch in Nepal , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Exclusive scenes from the sets of 'Doctor Strange' , accessed April 10, 2016.
- 'Doctor Strange' shoot underway in UK with Benedict Cumberbatch , accessed April 10, 2016.
- This Week's Cover: Benedict Cumberbatch casts a spell as Doctor Strange in EW's First Look issue , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Marvel's Doctor Strange set to shoot in UK , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor spotted shooting scenes for Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' in New York , accessed April 10, 2016.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is filming at Exeter College tomorrow , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Benedict Cumberbatch has been filming Doctor Strange on the streets of London , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor spotted shooting scenes for Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' in New York , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Marvel's Doctor Strange Wraps Filming , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Exclusive: Scott Derrickson explains Doctor Strange's ending. In: Den of Geek . October 28, 2016, accessed November 1, 2016 .
- James Gunn comments on directing Stan Lee Marvel cameos. In: Entertainment Weekly . October 29, 2016, accessed November 1, 2016 .
- Dr. Strange. In: synchronkartei.de. German synchronous index , accessed on October 29, 2016 .
- Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Why He Had To Play That Other Doctor Strange Role. In: cinemablend.com. October 26, 2016. Retrieved November 13, 2017 .
-  , accessed on April 12, 2016
- Marvel's Doctor Strange Prelude (2016) # 1 (of 2) , accessed September 3, 2016.
- Marvel's Doctor Strange Prelude (2016) # 2 (of 2) , accessed September 3, 2016.
- Review of Marvel's Doctor Strange Prelude , accessed September 3, 2016.
- Marvel Studios Dates Six Untitled Movies Through 2019 , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Come Watch The Red Carpet World Premiere Of Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' In: comicbookmovie.com, October 20, 2016.
- "Doctor Strange": First photo of villain Chiwetel Ejiofor , accessed on April 10, 2016.
- Marvel Announces Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Inhumans, Avengers: Infinity War Films, Cap & Thor 3 Subtitles , accessed April 11, 2016.
- Brent Lang: 'Doctor Strange', 'Fantastic Beasts' Score China Releases In: Variety, October 19, 2016.
- Doctor Strange In: parentpreviews.com. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Reason for approval for Doctor Strange In: Voluntary Self-Control of the Film Industry. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Doctor Strange . In: Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- In short: This is what we and the US press think of 'Doctor Strange' In: filmstarts.de, October 20, 2016.
- Chris Nashawaty: Doctor Strange: EW review In: Entertainment Weekly, October 24, 2016.
- Doctor Strange In: boxofficemojo.com, accessed June 13, 2018.
- 2016 Woldwide Grosses In: boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved April 7, 2019.
- Worldwide Grosses In: boxofficemojo.com. Accessed July 31, 2019.
- Top 100 Germany 2016 In: insidekino.com. Retrieved June 13, 2018.
- Patrick Hipes: Art Directors Guild Awards Nominations: 'Rogue One', 'Game Of Thrones' & More In: deadline.com, January 5, 2017.
- Dave McNary: 'Rogue One', 'La La Land', 'Fantastic Beasts' Nab Costume Designers Guild Nominations In: Variety, January 12, 2017.
- Terry Flores: 'Zootopia' Wins Top Prize at Annie Awards (Winners List) In: Variety, February 4, 2017.
- Leo Barraclough: BAFTA Film Award Nominations: 'La La Land' Leads Race In: Variety, January 9, 2017.
- Gregg Kilday: 'La La Land,' 'Arrival,' 'Moonlight' Top Critics' Choice Nominations In: The Hollywood Reporter, December 1, 2016.
- 2016 Honorees In: hollywoodawards.com. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Stars kick off movie awards season at Hollywood Film Awards In: bbc.com, November 7, 2016.
- 2016 Hollywood Music in Media Awards Nominations Announced In: filmmusicreporter.com, November 2, 2016.
- Jazz Tangcay: Satellite Nominations Announced In: awardsdaily.com, November 29, 2016.
- Tracy Brown: Screen Actors Guild Awards nominations 2017: Complete list of nominees In: Los Angeles Times, December 14, 2016.
- Andrew Auger: Teen Choice 2017 Award Nominees Include A Few Duds In: screenrant.com, June 19, 2017.
- Clarity at last: Marvel plays it safe with Doctor Strange 2. Retrieved December 13, 2018 .