A posse cut is a hip-hop track in which four or more rappers take part one after the other.
Posse cuts are a very early form of the hip-hop track: in its early days , rap pieces were often live performed freestyles , in which a rapper rapped a few mostly improvised lines before handing the microphone over to the man next to him, who had to respond. The process continued until the entire group ( posse ) had a chance to show off their skills. Even when the record medium conquered the scene, many classic tracks from the early days were posse cuts, a well-known example is Afrika Bambaataa & the Soul Sonic Forces Zulu Nation Throwdown.
In the 1980s, the posse cut established itself by giving rappers the opportunity to introduce their friends or group. Towards the end of the 1980s and the beginning of the 1990s, “All Star” cuts were established in which acquaintances came together to show respect for each other's skills or to publish an appeal to the scene. A well-known example from the period of mutual respect is The Symphony : Organized and produced by Marley Marl , Masta Ace , Craig G , Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane appeared on this track. KRS-One's "Stop the Violence" movement brought together KRS-One, Stetsasonic , Kool Moe Dee , MC Lyte , Just Ice, Doug E. Fresh , Heavy D , Public Enemy and Ms. Melodie for the title Self Destruction .
Posse cuts have been used increasingly since the 1990s to promote and introduce young rappers. Nas ' 1991 appearance on Main Sources Live at the Barbeque brought it fame and created a hype that continued until the release of his debut album Illmatic in 1994. Busta Rhymes was already better known than Nas, but his appearance on A Tribe Called Quests Scenario had similar effects.
The Wu-Tang Clan was the master of posse cuts in the 1990s . With nine members and numerous artist friends, most of their tracks consisted of posse cuts, including their successful debut single Protect Ya Neck . The most commercially successful farce cut in rap history was the six-minute piece Triumph from 1997.
More well-known examples
- 2Pac : Got My Mind Made Up featuring Method Man , Redman & Tha Dogg Pound ( All Eyez on Me , 1996)
- A Tribe Called Quest : Scenario featuring Leaders of the New School ( The Low End Theory , 1991); Rock Rock Y'all featuring Mos Def , Jane Doe, Punchline & Wordsworth ( The Love Movement , 1998)
- Craig Mack : Flava in Ya Ear (Remix) featuring Biggie Smalls , Busta Rhymes, Rampage & LL Cool J.
- Dr. Dre : Some LA Niggaz featuring Defari , Xzibit , Knoc-Turn'al , Time Bomb, King Tee , & Kokane ( 2001 , 1999)
- Eminem : Detroit vs. Everybody featuring Royce da 5′9 ″ , Big Sean , Danny Brown , Dej Loaf & Trick-Trick ( Shady XV , 2014)
- Fat Joe : John Blaze featuring Raekwon , Big Punisher , Jadakiss & Nas ( Don Cartagena , 1996)
- Heavy D : A Buncha Niggas featuring Biggie Smalls , Busta Rhymes , Guru , Rob-O & Third Eye ( Blue Funk )
- Nas : Affirmative Action featuring Foxy Brown , Cormega & AZ ( It Was Written , 1996)
- Sway & Tech: The Anthem featuring Chino XL , Eminem , Jayo Felony, Kool G Rap, KRS-One , Pharoahe Monch , RZA , Tech N9ne , and Xzibit ( This or That , 1999)
- The Roots : The Session (The Longest Posse Cut in History) featuring Shorty No Mas, Pazi Plant, Mr. Manifest, Lord Akil & AJ Shine ( Organix , 1993)
- The West Coast Rap All-Stars: We're All in the Same Gang featuring King Tee , Body & Soul , Def Jef , Michel'le , Tone Loc , Above the Law , Ice-T , Dr. Dre , MC Ren , JJ Fad , Young MC , Digital Underground , Oaktown's 3.4.7 , MC Hammer & Eazy-E
- Fettes Brot : Nordic by Nature featuring Der Tobi & das Bo , Gaze Mattress, Jan Delay , MK Cram, Mario von Hacht , Tabula Rasa & Fischmob ( On one eye stupid , 1995); Wildwechsel featuring Blumentopf , Maximillian , Spax , Der Tobi & Das Bo ( Outside Top Hits, Inside Taste , 1996)
- Taktloss : Keep It Real featuring Justus , Sido , Rhymin Simon , Collins, B-Tight , Frauenarzt , King Orgasmus One , MC Basstard , Martin B, s-rock, Ronald Mack Donald, Jack Orson ( BRP 4 LIfe , 2000)
- Kool Savas : The proof 2: Mammut RMX featuring Olli Banjo , Plan B , Maeckes , Caput, MoTrip , Ercandize , Kobra, Franky Kubrick , Sizzlac , Laas Unltd ., Jifusi, Phreaky Flave, Amar, Germany, Favorite , Kaas , Vega ( John Bello Story II , 2009)
- Schwartz : Body parts featuring Blokkmonsta , Dr. Faustus, Dr. Jekyll, Perverz, Rako, gynecologist , King Orgasmus One , Basstard , medicine man, Mr. Charlie, Jasha, Vero, Calif, Sebar, Light, Satam, Can Kee, Zebbo Kruger , 4.9.0 Friedhof Chiller, 4.9.0 Street player Tarek , Basti_DNP, Timi Hendrix , Kralle, Big Derill Mack, Major McFly & Casper ( son of a bitch Holocaust Zero , 2010)
- v Casper : Up and Away (Megamonster Mix) featuring Prinz Pi , Montana Max , Felix von Kraftklub , Timi Hendrix , Maeckes , Bartek , Tua and Kaas from Die Orsons , Olson and Chakuza ( Up and Away - single , 2011)
- Sido : 30-11-80 featuring Smudo , Bushido , Moses Pelham , Eko Fresh , Tarek from KIZ , Olli Banjo , B-Tight , Lakmann One , Laas Unltd. , Nazar , Manny Marc , Blood and Cash , Erick Sermon , MoTrip , Bass Sultan Hengzt , Afrob , Dr. Renz from Fettes Brot ( 30-11-80 , 2013)
- Blokkmonsta : Blokkhaus Allstars featuring Ali As , Atillah 79 , B-Lash , B-Tight , Capkekz , Crystal F , DCVDNS , Manny Marc , Dapharao, Greckoe , Helle, Herzog , Isar, Jasha, Jayson , Jope, Kontra K , Liquit Walker , Basstard , MC Bogy , OGP, Perverz , Prinz Pi , Rako , Rokko 81 , Baba Saad , Schlafwandler , Schmaler Schatten , Schwartz , Serk , Sicc , Sinan-G , Skinny Al , Smoky , SpaceghostPurrp, Tamas , Toni der Assi , Uzi , Vero One, vocal hero ( Blokkhaus , 2014)
- Audio88 & Yassin : Normale Freunde featuring Job , Sylabil Spill , JAW , Mädness , Dexter , El Ray, Rufmord3000, Döll, DCVDNS , Grim104 , Morlockk Dilemma , Megaloh & Betty Ford Boys ( Normaler Samt , 2015)
- Beginner ( Jan Delay , Denyo , DJ Mad): Meine Posse feat. Samy Deluxe , Tropf & Meyerholz ( Advanced Chemistry , 2016)