|Community association||Valenciennes Métropole|
|surface||4.32 km 2|
|Residents||886 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||205 inhabitants / km 2|
Quérénaing is a French municipality with 886 inhabitants (at January 1, 2017) in Nord in the region of Hauts-de-France . It belongs to the canton of Aulnoy-lez-Valenciennes and the Valenciennes Métropole municipal association .
Quérénaing lies between the neighboring communities of Artres in the east and Sommaing in the southwest, 7 kilometers southwest of Marly , 8 kilometers south of Valenciennes , about 13 kilometers southwest of the border with Belgium and 50 kilometers southeast of Lille . The D958 runs through the community.
Quérénaing was first mentioned in the 12th century in the copial book of the Notre-Dame de Condé monastery in Condé-sur-l'Escaut . The place name was written Kierinaing , Kiereneng , Kirignin and Kerinen over time . He is of Germanic origin. In 1340 the place was sacked by French troops during the siege of Valenciennes in the Hundred Years War . In 1554 the church of Quérénaing was burned down in the course of the power struggle between the Roman-German Emperor Charles V and Henry II of France over the possession of Hainaut and many residents were killed. The village fell to France only in 1678 through the Peace of Nijmegen . In July 1793 Austrian troops looted the village, burned many houses and destroyed the castle. On March 12, 1876, the bell tower collapsed due to a storm. During the First World War , on August 25, 1914, 21 villagers were shot and the village set on fire during a skirmish between German troops and French border officials. During World War II , an exploding ammunition truck destroyed all the church windows.
- Description of coat of arms
- "In gold a continuous red cross of thorns."
- Le Patrimoine des Communes du Nord . Volume 2. Flohic Editions, Paris 2001, ISBN 2-84234-119-8 , p. 1673.
- The interior of the Saint-Landelain church in the Base Mémoire (French)
- Official website of the CA Valenciennes Métropole ( Memento des Originals of February 16, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (French) Retrieved January 6, 2010
- Quérénaing on annuaire-mairie.fr (French) Retrieved January 7, 2010
- Histoire on querenaing.fr (French).
- Les agriculteurs on querenaing.fr (French).