Ernst Streng achieved his greatest successes in the team pursuit . In 1963 he and the German team became vice world champion for amateurs in this discipline in Rocourt near Liège , together with Klemens Großimlinghaus , Karl-Heinz Henrichs and Lothar Claesges . In the following year, the German team (with Karl Link instead of Grossimlinghaus) became world champions of amateurs in Paris and Olympic champions in Tokyo and was therefore called gold foursome .
In 1965, Streng joined the pros and took several podium places in the sprint and standing ranks at German championships . In 1969 he also came third at the German Road Championships . In 1968 he competed in the Tour de France , where he won the prologue with the Batavus team, and five times in the Tour de Suisse (1966 to 1970).
Ernst Streng never really managed to gain a foothold as a professional. In particular, his experience in six-day races , where he never got the strong partners he had hoped for, demotivated him. Disillusioned, he resigned from cycling in 1970 and took a job with the Cologne police. He later founded a police cycling group. In 1993 he died unexpectedly of heart failure during a bike ride, which gave rise to speculation about the long-term effects of doping. His teammate Großimlinghaus also died unexpectedly of heart failure in 1991 at the age of 49.
He received the Silver Laurel Leaf for his athletic achievements.
- Association of German cyclists (ed.): Radsport . No. 2/1970 . Deutscher Sportverlag Kurt Stoof, Cologne 1970, p. 5 .
- "And also ...", Sport-Bild from April 7, 1993, p. 60: The source speaks of a heart attack as the cause of death.
- Ksta.de: "The dirty business" ( Memento of the original from September 20, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 22, 2010
- Bakchich.info: "Une série de morts suspectes dans le sport" ( Memento of the original from March 16, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. accessed on April 22, 2010 (French)
- Sports report of the Federal Government of September 23, 1973 to the Bundestag - Printed matter 7/1040 -
- Ernst Streng in the Radsportseiten.net database
- Ernst Streng in the database of Sports-Reference (English; archived from the original )
- Graunke / Lemke / Rupprecht: Giants of the Landstrasse , Munich 1993
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German racing cyclist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 25, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cologne|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 27, 1993|
|Place of death||Cologne|