Audi A8 D4
Audi A8 (2009-2013)
|Class :||Upper class|
|Body versions :||limousine|
Otto engines : 2.0–6.3 liters
Diesel engines :
|Wheelbase :||2990-3122 mm|
|Empty weight :||1870-2170 kg|
|Previous model||Audi A8 D3|
|successor||Audi A8 D5|
The Audi A8 D4 (internal type designation 4H) is an upper-class vehicle by Audi , which was manufactured from 2009 to 2017 and is the successor model to the Audi A8 D3 .
The third generation of the A8 (internal type designation 4H) was presented on November 30, 2009 local time and December 1, 2009 European time in Miami at Design Miami . Audi presented the third generation of the luxury class sedan in public for the first time at the North American International Auto Show 2010. The new model came onto the German market three months after it was presented.
The sport version S8 was presented in 2011 and had the formal trade fair premiere at the IAA 2011.
In September 2013, the revised A8 was presented at the IAA, which took place in the same year.
The more powerful Audi S8 plus was formally presented to the public for the first time at the IAA 2015.
In 2019, the Audi RS8 prototype vehicle built in 2013 was shown as part of the special exhibition "25 Years of RS" at the Audi Forum Neckarsulm .
- 2010 to 2013: Audi A8 type D4 / 4H
- 2013 to 2017: Audi A8 type D4 / 4H (facelift version)
The aluminum body of the D4 is eight centimeters longer than that of its predecessor. The short wheelbase version measures around 5.14 m, the long wheelbase around 5.27 m. Although it is heavier than its predecessor, the A8 is one of the lightest models in its class compared to its competitors, weighing between 1905 and 2120 kg, only the Jaguar XJ is lighter. The drag coefficient (c W ) of the sedan with the 4.2-liter gasoline engine is 0.26 with a frontal area of 2.41 m². Formally, the Audi A8 remains almost unchanged, only the pronounced tornado line on the side is new. The A8 D4 no longer shares the technical D platform with the VW Phaeton and the Bentley models, but Audi uses the modular longitudinal construction kit that it developed itself . The longitudinal construction kit allows a more space-saving design - the front axle of the Audi is positioned 15 centimeters further forward. This also results in an improved weight distribution.
The Audi A8 D4 was only offered as a sedan with a notchback . A combination version was not in the delivery program.
With the Audi A8 D4, Audi offered a package of various technical measures. These are intended to increase the comfort of the driver in the vehicle, ensure adequate safety and reduce fuel consumption. The measures include:
- Networking of all electronically controlled systems through FlexRay : For example, the adaptive cruise control and the adaptive headlights take into account information from the navigation system and the camera under the rearview mirror. This enables the motorway light to be activated at the entrance and the cornering light before reaching the bend. The light is also adapted to the respective country: When arriving in countries with left-hand traffic , the corresponding group of lighting units is automatically activated, even if the navigation system is switched off.
- The A8 is offered with Audi MMI , including mobile broadband Internet access , with UMTS technology and 3D navigation with Google Earth support.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist : a camera detects oncoming night or vehicles ahead and controls the main beam and the beam range to slide.
- Lane keeping assistant ( Audi lane assist )
- Lane change assistant ( Audi side assist )
- Night vision assistant with pedestrian detection
- Speed limit assistant
- Adaptive cruise control ( adaptive cruise control ) with Stop - & - Go function (0-250 km / h), including automatic emergency braking ( Audi pre sense ): Uses multiple radar sensors , a video camera (for the first time at a German manufacturer) and the sensors of the parking aid . In slow-moving traffic or in a traffic jam , it regulates braking and starting. In conjunction with the radar sensors of the lane change assistant , an autonomous full deceleration is initiated in situations in which a collision is unavoidable in order to reduce the severity of the impact as much as possible.
- Parking assistant
- The eight- speed Tiptronic automatic transmission with so-called shift-by-wire technology
- A dynamic steering for more precise steering feel
- The air suspension called " Adaptive Air Suspension " is part of the standard equipment.
- An aluminum body, called Audi Space Frame , to reduce weight and fuel consumption.
- With the optionally available quattro with sport differential on the rear axle, the power can be directed to the outside rear wheel when steering or accelerating in a curve, whereby the car is pushed into the curve by the drive force and follows the angle of the front wheels.
- The Audi drive select , available as standard , is a system that allows some vehicle dynamics control systems to be electronically influenced.
- Optional energy-saving LED headlights that include low beam , high beam , daytime running light, turn signal and static cornering light . The motorway function increases the range from 110 km / h .
During the facelift presented in 2013 , the bonnet, the single-frame grille and the front bumper were slightly changed. The lower edge of the headlight units ran straight from then on. The LED lights at the rear have become flatter. The redesigned bumper includes two diamond-shaped tailpipes for all engine versions except for the S8. New chrome strips and high-gloss black window frames round off the design differentiations.
The A8 now optionally has the new LED technology Matrix LED in the headlights. The dimming should only be done partially, the rest of the field of vision should always be illuminated as bright as day ( glare-free high beam ).
The indicators have also been revised. In the improved headlights, according to the Ingolstadt company, there are 18 light-emitting diodes in a strip next to each other, divided into seven blocks. In the rear lights, 24 LEDs in eight segments enable the flashing light with dynamic display.
B&O tweeter of the Advanced Sound System
At the beginning of two engine options were offered: one 4.2-liter V8 engine as gasoline and turbo diesel engine . Since the competition in the luxury class is now relying on more economical V6 biturbo engines for this performance class , the V8 diesel engine was the last of its kind in this class. A 3-liter V6 gasoline engine with supercharging followed later .
The basic petrol engine version of the Audi A8 with the 2.8-liter six-cylinder engine with direct petrol injection (FSI) came in 2010 with front-wheel drive and a CVT ( Multitronic ) transmission .
From the end of 2010 a V6 diesel and a W12 petrol engine as well as a long version were also available.
In addition, an entry-level version with front-wheel drive and a modified 3.0-liter diesel engine ( TDI ) with a maximum output of 150 kW (204 PS) and 6.0 liters per 100 kilometers of standard consumption was available from August 2011 .
The Audi S8 model, like the two sports models S6 C7 and S7 C7 from Audi, has a 4.0-liter V8 engine with twin-turbo charging , which in the S8 has a maximum output of 382 kW (520 hp) and a maximum torque of 650 Nm instead of the maximum output of 309 kW (420 hp) and the maximum torque of 550 Nm as in the other two models. The Audi S8 should accelerate from 0 to 100 km / h in 4.1 seconds. In addition, from 2015 the S8 Plus was available with an engine that had been increased to a maximum output of 445 kW (605 hp) and a maximum torque of 750 Nm. This in turn accelerates from 0 to 100 km / h in 3.8 seconds. This engine has cylinder deactivation (also the case with the S6 and S7), which means that only four of the eight cylinders are used in the partial load range. This contributes to more efficient behavior.
From April 2012, the Audi A8 was also available with a hybrid drive . In this version, the A8 was equipped for the first time with a two-liter four-cylinder engine.
In the late summer of 2013, both the optics and the engines were modified. The turbocharged 3.0-l petrol engine with petrol direct injection (TFSI) now developed a maximum of 228 kW (310 hp) and the four-liter petrol engine a maximum of 320 kW (435 hp). The three-liter diesel engine was now also available in a variant with an SCR catalytic converter (clean variant) with initially a maximum of 184 kW, later 190 kW; also from the 4.2-liter diesel engine (TDI), which has a maximum of 283 kW (385 hp).
In the course of the exhaust gas scandal in the automotive industry, which has been ongoing since September 2015, Federal Transport Minister Alexander Dobrindt announced that the A8 model with V6 and V8 diesel engine was equipped with an illegal shutdown device in the production period from 2009 to 2013 , which reduces or completely switches off the exhaust gas treatment in road operation. Together with the A7 model, these defeat devices were installed in around 24,000 vehicles. Audi gave a technical error as the reason for the increased nitrogen oxide values and promised a conversion campaign.
In November 2017 it became known that the V8 diesel engines with Euro 6 standard (4.2 TDI) from the period September 2013 to August 2017 would also have to be recalled due to shutdown devices in the engine software. This affects 5000 vehicles across Europe. Measurements by Deutsche Umwelthilfe had already shown in the summer of 2017 that the A8 4.2 TDI is the vehicle with the highest emissions; in the test, up to 1938 mg NO X / km were emitted.
On June 10, 2020 KBA published a conformity deviation drive control software under KBA number 10.001, which is under investigation for the Audi A8 4.2 TDI V8 Euro 5 MKB CDSB with gearbox AL951, built in 2009-2014. Affected vehicles (worldwide): 10908, probably affected vehicles (Germany): 5442.
The power transmission takes place via the eight-stage Tiptronic - automatic . The gear selection is made by tapping the selector lever , after which it automatically returns to its starting position.
The so-called shift-by-wire technology is used to transmit the dialing process electronically. The shift command is passed on to the main control unit of the car, which then changes gear via hydraulic multi-plate clutches . This results in short gear change times which, together with low driving speeds, ensure reduced consumption and greater driving comfort. The parking lock is automatically engaged when the vehicle is parked .
Based on the Audi A8 D4, the special protection vehicle A8 L Security is available up to protection class VR9 on request.
In 2016, Audi built a unique piece called the A8 L extended for the Norwegian royal family at the customer's request . This six-door vehicle has six seats, a curb weight of 2418 kg, a wheelbase of 4.22 m and a length of 6.36 m. This makes it 1.09 m longer than the production version of the A8 L. The turbocharged 3.0-l gasoline engine with direct petrol injection and a maximum of 228 kW (310 hp) accelerates the vehicle from 0 to 100 km / h in 7.1 seconds . Based on the Audi S8, a prototype vehicle for an Audi RS8 with a 4.0-liter V8 engine with twin-turbo charging and a maximum output of 382 kW was built. It has a different design compared to the model on which it is based.
The A8 in public and in the media
An Audi A8 or an S8 was used in each of the films Matrix Reloaded , Transporter - The Mission , Transporter 3 and Transporter Refueled .
Gerhard Schröder used the Audi A8 as a state body for the first time , and Angela Merkel also uses an A8.
Successor A8 (type D5 / 4N)
The fourth generation, the Audi A8 D5 , was presented at the International Motor Show in September 2017 and has been on the market since autumn 2017.
|hybrid (L)||2.0 TFSI L (1)||2.5 FSI L (1)||3.0 TFSI (L)||3.0 TFSI L (1)||4.2 FSI (L)||4.0 TFSI (L)||S8||S8 plus||6.3 FSI L|
|Construction period||04 / 2012–
|09 / 2013–
12/2009 - 04/2012
|04 / 2012–
|09 / 2013–
|04 / 2012–
|09 / 2015–
|Motor type||Hybrid drive||Gasoline engine|
|Engine type||Series design + electric motor||Row design||V-type||W-type|
|Mixture preparation||Direct petrol injection|
|Load point shift||-||Cylinder deactivation||-|
|Cylinders / valves||4/16||6/24||8/32||12/48|
|Displacement||1984 cc||2498 cc||2995 cc||4163 cc||3993 cc||6299 cc|
in min -1 , the internal combustion engine
|155 kW /
|185 kW (252 hp) /
|150 kW (204 PS) /
|213 kW (290 PS) /
|228 kW (310 hp) /
|245 kW (333 hp) /
|273 kW (372 hp) /
|309 kW (420 PS) /
|320 kW (435 hp) /
|382 kW (520 PS) /
|445 kW (605 hp) /
|368 kW (500 PS) /
|Peak power, electric motor||40 kW||-|
|System performance||180 kW (245 PS)||-|
in min -1 , the internal combustion engine
|350 Nm /
|370 Nm /
|250 Nm /
|420 Nm /
|440 Nm /
|440 Nm /
|445 Nm /
|600 Nm /
|600 Nm /
|650 Nm /
|750 Nm /
|625 Nm /
|Peak torque, electric motor||210 Nm||-|
|System torque||480 Nm||-|
|Drive type, series||Front wheel drive||all wheel drive||Front wheel drive||all wheel drive|
|Gear type, series||8-speed tiptronic|
|Empty weight||1945-1995 kg||1890 kg||2005 kg||1905-1955 kg||2055 kg||1910-1960 kg||1970-2020 kg||1995-2050 kg||2050-2065 kg||2065 kg||2130-2150 kg|
|Max. Payload||600-650 kg||k. A.||500 kg||650-690 kg||k. A.||650-690 kg||650 kg||600 kg|
|Acceleration, 0-100 km / h||7.7-7.9 s||7.2 s||9.6 s||6.1-6.2 s||5.7-5.9 s||6.0 s||5.7-5.8 s||4.6-4.7 s||4.5-4.6 s||4.1-4.2 s||3.8 s||4.6-4.7 s|
|Top speed||228-235 km / h||250 km / h (2)||237 km / h||250 km / h (2)||305 km / h||250 km / h (2)|
over 100 km, combined
|CO 2 emissions||144-149 g / km||k. A.||211 g / km||204-217 g / km||183-184 g / km||k. A.||219-224 g / km||219-221 g / km||213-216 g / km||225-235 g / km||231 g / km||264-290 g / km|
|Emission standard||Euro 5 (3) / Euro 6||k. A.||5 euro||5 euro||Euro 6||k. A.||5 euro||Euro 6||Euro 5 (3) / Euro 6||Euro 6||Euro 5 (3) / Euro 6|
|3.0 TDI||3.0 TDI (L)||3.0 TDI ultra||4.2 TDI (L)|
|Construction period||08/2011 - 04/2013||06/2010–08/2013||09/2013–04/2015||04/2015–09/2017||12/2009 - 08/2013||09/2013–09/2017|
|Motor series||VW EA897||VW EA897 evo||?||?|
|Motor type||Diesel engine|
|Mixture preparation||Common rail injection|
|Cylinders / valves||6/24||8/32|
|Displacement||2967 cc||4134 cc|
|Max. Power at min −1||150 kW (204 PS) /
|184 kW (250 PS) /
|190 kW (258 PS) /
|193 kW (262 hp) /
|258 kW (350 PS) /
|283 kW (385 PS) /
|Max. Torque at min -1||400 Nm /
|550 Nm /
|580 Nm /
|800 Nm /
|850 Nm /
|Drive type, series||Front wheel drive||all wheel drive|
|Gear type, series||8-speed tiptronic|
|Empty weight||1870 kg||1915-1965 kg||1955-2010 kg||1955 kg||2070-2120 kg||2115-2170 kg|
|Max. Payload||710 kg||650-730 kg||650-690 kg||690 kg||625-665 kg|
|Acceleration, 0-100 km / h||7.9 s||6.1-6.2 s||5.9-6.1 s||5.9 s||5.5-5.6 s||4.7-4.9 s|
|Top speed||235-239 km / h||250 km / h (1)|
|Fuel consumption over
100 km, combined
|5.9–6.0 l diesel||6.4–6.6 l diesel||5.9–6.0 l diesel||5.8–6.0 l diesel||5.7 l diesel||7.4–7.8 l diesel||7.2–7.5 l diesel|
|CO 2 emissions||155-158 g / km||169-176 g / km||155-158 g / km||157-158 g / km||149 g / km||195-204 g / km||189-197 g / km|
|Exhaust aftertreatment, PM||Diesel particulate filter|
|Emission standard||5 euro||Euro 5 / Euro 6 (2)||Euro 6||5 euro||Euro 6|
- ↑ Art of Progress: World premiere of the new Audi A8. (No longer available online.) In: Audi AG. November 19, 2009, archived from the original on November 28, 2009 ; Retrieved December 2, 2009 .
- ↑ Audi A8 - Car Design News. In: cardesignnews.com. January 11, 2010, accessed October 5, 2018 .
- ↑ a b Holger Wittich: Audi S8 at the IAA: This is the new eight-hater - auto motor und sport. In: auto-motor-und-sport.de. August 31, 2011, accessed October 7, 2018 .
- ↑ a b Stephan Bähnisch: Audi A8 Facelift: IAA 2013 UPDATE! - autobild.de. In: autobild.de. September 10, 2013, accessed August 6, 2019 .
- ↑ a b Lothar Erfert: IAA 2015 Audi innovations: new A4 and S8 plus - automobil-magazin.de. In: automobil-magazin.de. September 15, 2015, accessed October 7, 2018 .
- ↑ a b Adrian Padeanu, Roland Hildebrandt: Audi RS8: There was him, but only as a prototype. In: de.motor1.com. July 23, 2019, accessed August 6, 2019 .
- ↑ Aerodynamics - Audi Technology Portal. In: audi-technology-portal.de. Retrieved October 7, 2018 .
- ↑ Bernhard Santer: New Audi A8: body. In: focus.de. December 4, 2009, p. 2 , accessed August 6, 2019 .
- ↑ Holger Wittich: Audi shows new A8 in Geneva. In: auto motor und sport . May 26, 2009. Retrieved June 9, 2009 .
- ↑ Ingo Reuss: Audi A8: The light even knows left-hand traffic. In: faz.net. March 4, 2010, accessed August 6, 2019 .
- ↑ Qualcomm brings UMTS into the Audi A8. (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on February 19, 2010 ; Retrieved February 18, 2010 .
- ↑ Audi A8: Navigation with Google Earth. Retrieved February 18, 2010 .
- ↑ vertical fascination of light - dynamics through technology and design ( Memento from May 14, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ Comprehensive security in the new Audi A8. Predictive emergency braking system from Bosch in series ( Memento from July 1, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ adaptive air suspension - Audi Technology Portal. In: audi-technology-portal.de. 2012, accessed October 7, 2018 .
- ↑ Jürgen Pander: The Audi A8 Hybrid luxury sedan offers economy technology that works. In: spiegel.de. April 4, 2012, accessed August 6, 2019 .
- ↑ Klaus Uckrow: Comparison: Audi A8 3.0 TDI clean diesel quattro against BMW 730d. In: autozeitung.de. February 14, 2013, accessed August 6, 2019 .
- ↑ Emissions scandal. According to Dobrindt, Audi used illegal software. Spiegel Online , June 2, 2017, accessed June 13, 2017 .
- ^ Frank Dohmen, Dietmar Hawranek, Gerald Traufetter: Diesel affair. Exhaust tricks on the new Porsche Cayenne too. Spiegel Online , June 9, 2017, accessed June 13, 2017 .
- ↑ Gerald Traufetter: Recall of the A8: What Audi hides from its customers . In: Spiegel Online . November 3, 2017 ( spiegel.de [accessed November 4, 2017]).
- ↑ The dirtiest diesel is an Audi A8 with the Euro 6 emissions standard: Deutsche Umwelthilfe measures the highest NOx values ever measured in a diesel car during road measurements . In: Deutsche Umwelthilfe e. V. ( duh.de [accessed on November 4, 2017]).
- ↑ https://www.kba-online.de/gpsg/auskunftlisteServlet
- ↑ A8 L Security> A8> Audi Germany. In: audi.de. Retrieved October 5, 2018 .
- ↑ Adrian Padeanu: Audi A8 L stretches even Furtherwirt for six-door one-off. In: motor1.com. April 11, 2016, accessed October 5, 2018 .
- ↑ Holger Wittich: Audi A8 L extended: XXL luxury limousine as the first individual item - auto motor und sport. In: auto-motor-und-sport.de. April 11, 2016, accessed October 5, 2018 .
- ↑ Representative unique Audi A8 L extended (2016). audi-mediacenter.com, accessed April 12, 2016 .
- ↑ Alexander Friedrich: That's why the car in "The Transporter Refueled" is a single film error - Kino News - FILMSTARTS.de. In: filmstarts.de. August 19, 2018, accessed October 5, 2018 .