T-Mobile Arena (Las Vegas)
|The entrance area of the T-Mobile Arena|
Las Vegas Arena (2014-2016)
|place||3780 South Las Vegas Blvd. Paradise , Nevada 89158
|owner||Las Vegas Arena Company
( Anschutz Entertainment Group 50%
MGM Resorts International 50%)
|operator||MGM Resorts International|
|start of building||May 1, 2014|
|opening||April 6, 2016|
|First game||October 10, 2017
Vegas Golden Knights - Arizona Coyotes 5: 2 ( Regular Season )
|costs||375 million US dollars|
|capacity||17,500 seats ( ice hockey )
18,000 seats ( basketball )
20,000 seats ( boxing )
20,000 seats ( MMA / UFC )
12,000–18,000 seats ( concert - final stage)
19,500–20,000 seats (concert - central stage)
The T-Mobile Arena is a multifunctional arena in Paradise , a city without legal personality and a census-designated place in the southern neighborhood of the US city of Las Vegas in Clark County , State of Nevada . The hall was built on the Las Vegas Strip between the New York-New York Hotel & Casino and Park MGM and cost 375 million US dollars . The owner is the Las Vegas Arena Company joint venture , in which the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) and MGM Resorts International each hold half. The Hockey - Franchise of Vegas Golden Knights ( German Golden Knights ) from the National Hockey League (NHL) plays its games since 2017 in the arena. Based on this, the hall bears the nickname The Fortress ( German Die fortress ).
Harrah's Entertainment Inc. , an operator of casinos and hotels, in cooperation with the Anschutz Entertainment Group, made the first attempt to build a new arena in Las Vegas in 2007. A hall with 20,000 seats was built behind the casino-hotel complex Bally's and Paris for 500 million dollars planned. The arena was intended to bring an NBA basketball team or an NHL ice hockey team to the city. Due to the buy-out of Harrah's Entertainment Inc., it didn't happen. The original project plans called for construction to start in 2008. The completion should be celebrated in 2010. Up to January 2009, however, no traffic study was available, although the construction site is at a busy intersection .
The plans were changed in 2010 when the location of the arena was to be relocated behind the Imperial Palace . This venture failed due to the rejection of Clark County for a tax increase to finance. There was no interest in funding the fifth arena in the Las Vegas area. The Las Vegas Arena Foundation stopped its efforts in June 2010.
On March 1, 2013, Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) and MGM Resorts International announced the joint construction of a privately financed multi-purpose event hall in Las Vegas. Construction work began on May 1, 2014 with the groundbreaking ceremony . MGM and AEG each contributed $ 75 million to finance the $ 375 million arena. The remaining $ 225 million will be covered by loans. The largest lender is Bank of America .
The building, initially named Las Vegas Arena, offers up to 20,000 seats depending on the event. Around 100 to 150 events are aimed for annually to fully utilize the multifunctional arena. In addition to the games of the professional sports team, concerts , family shows , award ceremonies, mixed martial arts (such as the UFC ), boxing , college basketball games and ice hockey tournaments as well as other sports have a place in the hall. The venue has 50 luxury suites and 25 luxury boxes as well as spacious clubs. The last steel girder was installed on May 27, 2015. The 25 foot (7.62 m) long component was ceremoniously placed in its place. The construction workers involved wrote their names on the component beforehand.
At the beginning of January 2016, the telecommunications company T-Mobile US acquired the naming rights to the multifunctional arena for EUR 5.5 million annually over ten years . On March 31, 2016, there was a soft opening with a private concert by country singers Martina McBride and Cam . With the grand opening , the arena was opened on April 6, 2016 with concerts by the US rock band The Killers , entertainer Wayne Newton and singer Shamir .
The move of a professional sports team to the arena was promoted as a pillar for the maintenance and profitability of the T-Mobile Arena. The city of Las Vegas applied next to the Canadian Quebec with the Videotron Center to an expansion team of the National Hockey League (NHL) from season 2017/18. In mid-June 2016 it was announced that the new franchise would be awarded to Las Vegas. The official announcement took place on June 22, 2016. For the admission as the 31st team in the league paid investor Bill Foley 500 million US dollars (450 million euros ). When the league was last increased in 2000, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild each paid $ 70 million.
On November 22, 2016, the new NHL home team got a name. The Vegas Golden Knights have been playing their league games in the T-Mobile Arena since autumn 2017. As the investor Bill Foley announced, there were 14,000 interested parties on season tickets for the 17,500 available places.
The first major sporting event was in a fight with the evening on May 7, 2016 WBC - boxing in the middleweight division between the Mexican Saúl Álvarez and the Briton Amir Khan held. Álvarez won in front of 16,540 visitors by knockout in the sixth round.
The WWE was on 19 June 2016, their wrestling -Veranstaltung WWE Money in the Bank in the desert town guest. In the main fight, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns faced each other in the duel for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship . Rollins won the fight and title, but immediately lost it to Dean Ambrose . The United States men's national basketball team met on 22 July 2016 in preparation for the Summer Olympic Games in Argentina . The USA won 111-74 against the South Americans.
On October 7th and 8th, 2016, two NHL preseason games took place in the arena. First, the Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings dueled at the Frozen Fury (4: 2). The next day the Colorado Avalanche (1: 2 OT ) were opponents of the Kings in front of 16,519 visitors . Under the name Frozen Fury , annual preparatory games between the LA Kings and the Colorado Avalanche took place in the MGM Grand Garden Arena from 1997 to 2015. Since Las Vegas has its own NHL team from 2017, the game was played for the last time in 2016, this time in the T-Mobile Arena. The UNLV Rebels ( UNLV ) NCAA ice hockey team met the Arizona State Sun Devils ( ASU ) on October 9, 2016 . The Rebels won 3-2. The Los Angeles Lakers received the Sacramento Kings (104: 116) and the Golden State Warriors (107: 112) for two NBA preseason games on October 13 and 15 .
From November 2nd to 6th, 2016, the Professional Bull Riders hosted the PBR World Finals . The winner was Cooper Davis. He won $ 1 million alongside the title. On November 19, 2016 met for the World Championship boxing match in heavyweight of Russians Sergei Kovalev and American Andre Ward each other. Both boxers were undefeated up to this fight. Andre Ward defeated Kowaljow in front of 13,310 spectators with a unanimous (114: 113, 114: 113, 114: 113) but controversial point victory and became world champion of the WBA , the IBF and the WBO .
On August 26, 2017, the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor took place in the arena . 20,000 people saw the battle in the arena, with tickets costing an average of $ 3,750. The Vegas Golden Knights played their first home game of the regular season on October 10, 2017 in the arena against the Arizona Coyotes (5: 2).
Ultimate Fighting Championship
With the opening, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) with its events in Las Vegas moved from the MGM Grand Garden Arena to the new arena. The first fight night UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes took place in July 2016.
- UFC 200 : Tate vs. Nunes (18,202 spectators) July 9, 2016:
- UFC 202 : Diaz vs. McGregor 2 (15,539 viewers) Aug 20, 2016:
- UFC 207 : Nunes vs. Rousey (18,533 spectators) Dec. 30, 2016:
- UFC 209 : Woodley vs. Thompson 2 (13,150 viewers) 4th Mar 2017:
- UFC 213 : Romero vs. Whittaker (12,834 spectators) July 8, 2017:
- UFC 216 : Ferguson vs. Lee (10,638 spectators) Oct 6, 2017:
- UFC 219 : Cyborg vs. Holm (13,561 spectators) Dec. 30, 2017:
- UFC 222 : Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya (12,041 spectators) 3rd Mar 2018:
Concerts occupy a large place in the event calendar of the T-Mobile Arena . After the opening events with Martina McBride and Cam as well as The Killers , Wayne Newton and Shamir , u. a. the Dixie Chicks , Imagine Dragons , U2 , Sting , The Rolling Stones , Gwen Stefani , Barbra Streisand , Coldplay , Tears for Fears , Pink , Kanye West , Usher , Jennifer Lopez , Marilyn Manson , Madonna , Garth Brooks & Trisha Yearwood , Stevie Wonder , Pitbull , Sia , OneRepublic , Ariana Grande , Billy Joel , Carrie Underwood , Prince Royce , Lukas Graham , Laura Pausini , George Strait , Drake , Guns n 'Roses , Lita Ford , Twenty One Pilots , Kesha , Easton Corbin , Britney Spears , Celine Dion , Gente de Zona , Alice in Chains , Billy Idol , Nicki Minaj , DNCE , Los Fabulosos Cadillacs , Backstreet Boys , Alessia Cara , Blake Shelton , Sam Hunt , Marc Anthony , Zedd , Troye Sivan , Shawn Mendes , Demi Lovato , Nick Jonas , Fonseca , Meghan Trainor , Steven Tyler , Go-Go’s , Slipknot , Sabrina Carpenter , Of Mice & Men , J Balvin , Carlos Vives , Five Finger Death Punch , Rihanna , Wisin y Yandel , Gerardo Ortíz , Shinedown , Justin Bieber , Cage the Elephant , Sixx: AM and Fifth Ha rmony on.
On April 19, 2016, the basketball show troupe of the Harlem Globetrotters made a stop at the T-Mobile Arena on their World Tour 2016 for the 90th anniversary. The Billboard Music Awards were presented on May 22, 2016 at the T-Mobile Arena. The Canadian R&B musician The Weeknd has received eight awards. The British singer Adele won five prizes, including the most important for Top Artist . In the election for Miss USA 2016 on June 5, the soldier Deshauna Barber was chosen as the winner. On July 21, 2017, the NHL Awards ceremony took place in Las Vegas.
- t-mobilearena.com: Official website (English)
- nhl.com: NHL Web site of Vegas Golden Knights (English)
- populous.com: The T-Mobile arena on the site of Populous (English)
- nhl.com: Golden Knights make history with win against Coyotes article from October 11, 2017 (English)
- T-Mobile Arena. In: aegworldwide.com. Anschutz Entertainment Group , accessed on August 16, 2019 .
- espn.go.com: Vegas, baby? Arena envisioned to draw pro team to city Article from August 22, 2007
- Insiders Tight Lipped on Las Vegas Arena ( Memento from April 14, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- arenadigest.com: Las Vegas foundation drops arena effort article from June 12, 2010 (English)
- lasvegassun.com: MGM Resorts announces plan for 20,000-seat arena article from March 1, 2013 (English)
- reviewjournal.com: Shovels in the ground, confetti in the air as MGM / AEG arena construction begins Article from May 1, 2014 (English)
- reviewjournal.com: Construction workers install final beam at MGM arena - PHOTOS article from May 27, 2015 (English)
- stadionwelt.de: naming rights for Las Vegas Arena granted article from January 7, 2016
- reviewjournal.com: Martina McBride plays private concert at T-Mobile Arena stress test Article from April 1, 2016 (English)
- stadionwelt.de: Two applicants for expansion article from July 24, 2015
- nhl.com: Las Vegas awarded NHL franchise article from June 23, 2016 (English)
- stadionwelt.de: NHL Expansion: Award to Las Vegas Article from June 15, 2016
- usatoday.com: Las Vegas NHL expansion team will be named the 'Golden Knights' Article from November 22, 2016 (English)
- stadionwelt.de: Goldene Ritter auf dem Eis Article from November 23, 2016
- espn.co.uk: Canelo Alvarez taking title to T-Mobile Arena; AT&T Stadium could host in future article from February 20, 2016
- espn.co.uk: Canelo Alvarez stops Amir Khan, calls out Gennady Golovkin Article from May 8, 2016 (English)
- upi.com: Seth Rollins def. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns; Dean Ambrose cashed in his Money in the Bank contract to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion Article from June 19, 2016
- latimes.com: New-look US Olympic men's basketball team is a hit in rout of Argentina article from July 22, 2016 (English)
- lakingsinsider.com: Live Blog: Los Angeles vs Dallas Article from October 7, 2016 (English)
- reviewjournal.com: Avalanche edge Kings in overtime in Frozen Fury final article from October 9, 2016 (English)
- reviewjournal.com: UNLV hockey eyes NCAA Division I after victory at T-Mobile Arena Article from October 10, 2016 (English)
- reviewjournal.com: New Sacramento Kings coach Dave Joerger rebuilding 'brick by brick' article from October 14, 2016 (English)
- latimes.com: Brandon Ingram's confidence hasn't wavered as he adjusts to the NBA article from October 16, 2016 (English)
- reviewjournal.com: Former Rookie of the Year Kaique Pacheco looking to add PBR world title article from November 2, 2016 (English)
- star-telegram.com: Buna cowboy Cooper Davis wins PBR world title article from November 6, 2016 (English)
- spox.com: Controversial points victory: Ward new world champion Article from November 20, 2016
- nhl.com: Golden Knights make history with win against Coyotes article from October 11, 2017 (English)
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 200 draws announced 18,202 fans for $ 10.7 million live gate at new T-Mobile Arena Article from July 10, 2016 (English)
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 202 attendance: Entertaining card nets fifth highest gate in UFC history article from August 21, 2016 (English)
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 207 draws sold-out 18,533 attendance, a Las Vegas UFC record, for $ 4.75 million live gate article from December 31, 2016 (English)
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 209 draws announced 13,150 attendance for live gate of $ 2,385 million in Las Vegas article from March 5, 2017 (English)
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 213 draws announced attendance of 12,834 for $ 2.4 million live gate in Las Vegas article from July 9, 2017 (English)
- UFC 216 draws announced attendance of 10,638 for $ 677,999.50 live gate in Las Vegas article from October 8, 2017 (English)
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 219 draws announced 13,561 fans for $ 1.76 million live gate in 2017 finale in Las Vegas Article from December 31, 2017
- mmajunkie.com: UFC 222 draws announced 12,041 attendance for $ 1,367,672 live gate in Las Vegas Article from March 4, 2018 (English)
- setlist.fm: concert list of the T-Mobile Arena (English)
- newsroom.tmobilearena.com: Harlem Globetrotters Celebrate 90 Amazing Years; The 2016 World Tour Visits Las Vegas Tuesday, April 19 Article from December 2, 2015
- europe.newsweek.com: Billboard Music Awards: The Weeknd Sweeps Up Eight Wins, Adele Earns Five article from May 23, 2016 (English)
- welt.de: Quick-witted soldier is the new Miss USA article from June 6, 2016