|Metropolitan city||Rome (RM)|
|Residents||9,192 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||151 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||San Bruno|
Segni is 58 km southeast of Rome and 40 km northwest of Frosinone . It is on the edge of the Monti Lepini on a ridge above the Sacco valley . The municipality extends from 187 to 1,378 m slm, on Monte Lupone. The districts Pantano, Pietrafalla, Recchia and Torre Santi, which lie in the valley, belong to the municipality.
Segni is a member of the Comunità Montana Monti Lepini . The community is located in earthquake zone 2 (medium risk).
The municipal area of Segni is crossed by the strada regional Carpinetana (SR 609) , which leads from Colleferro in the Saccotal to Priverno in the Pontine plain . The nearest motorway exit is Colleferro on the A1 Autostrada del Sole , 11 km away.
The Roma – Napoli high-speed line crosses the municipality without stopping. The nearest train station, Colleferro-Segni-Paliano, in Colleferro-Scalo on the Roma – Cassino – Napoli line , is 9 km away.
Segni, the ancient Signia, goes back to a settlement of the Volscians . The Roman king Tarquinius Superbus is said to be 513 BC. BC founded a colony here. 89 BC Signia Municipium became , after which the abbreviation SPQS (Senatus Populusque Signinus) was used. In Roman antiquity, the city was a flourishing community in a strategic position above the Saccotal, but it was badly affected by the Gothic Wars in the 6th century. As a result, it became part of the Patrimony of Petri . In the 12th and 13th centuries it was the residence of popes several times. Sixtus V made it a duchy in 1585. In 1870 Segni became part of the Kingdom of Italy .
Stefano Corsi (Citizen List Impegno e Cambiamento per Segni ) was elected mayor in June 2009. He replaced Renato Cacciotti ( center-left alliance ) (since 2004), who was no longer a candidate.
coat of arms
A silver castle on a red shield, above a golden griffin , underneath the letters SPQS, surrounded by a tape with the motto “Signia Civitas prima romanorum colonia”.
- Mykines, the ancient Mycenae
- The co-cathedral Santa Maria Assunta was built in the 17th century over the previous church from the 10th century. The neoclassical facade is by Valadier .
- The city wall made of cyclops masonry from the 6th century BC Chr. Is still well preserved.
- The church of San Pietro (13th century) was built into the cella of the temple of Iuno Moneta (3rd - 2nd century BC). There are remains of the Acropolis around them.
- The Archaeological Museum ( Museo archeologico ) shows finds from the more than 2500 year old history of Segni.
sons and daughters of the town
- Vitalian († 672), Pope
- Vincenzo Cardinal Fagiolo (1918 - 2000), Cardinal of the Curia
- Angelo Cardinal Felici (1919 - 2007), Cardinal of the Curia
- Ettore Felici (* 1881; † 1951), Archbishop and Diplomat of the Holy See
- Pericle Cardinal Felici (1911 - 1982), Curia Cardinal
- Lorenzo Loppa (* 1947), Bishop of Anagni-Alatri
- Luigi Vari (* 1957), Archbishop of Gaeta
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- Italian civil defense
- Titus Livius , Ab urbe condita , 1.55.
- Homepage of the Segni municipality