|Coordinates||46 ° 1 ' N , 9 ° 14' E|
|height||202 m slm|
|Residents||3,124 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||240 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||Stephen ( December 26th )|
Menaggio is an Italian municipality with 3124 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019) in Lombardy in the province of Como .
Menaggio is located on the west bank of Lake Como at the mouth of the Sanagra . To the west of the village is the Valle Menaggio , through which a connecting path leads via Porlezza to Lugano in Switzerland . The municipality includes the following fractions: Castello , Croce , Fossato , Loveno , Nobiallo , Sonenga .
The neighboring communities are: Grandola ed Uniti , Griante , Perledo ( LC ), Plesio , San Siro , Tremezzina and Varenna ( LC ).
Menaggio is one of the most touristy places on the lake. There are many hotels along the long lake promenade. The heart of Menaggio is Piazza Garibaldi , which lies between the lake and the Church of Santo Stefano .
In the district of Loveno above the center is the German-Italian Center Villa Vigoni , which is operated jointly by the German federal government and the Italian government.
A ferry connects Menaggio with Varenna and Bellagio on the opposite banks, between 1884 and 1939 the Menaggio-Porlezza railway ran between Porlezza on Lake Lugano and the town.
- Villa Vigoni Centro Italo-Tedesco per l'Eccellenza Europea
- Provost church of Santo Stefano
- Santa Marta Church
- Church of Santi Loreno e Agnese in the district of Loveno , with painting Madonna Addolorata
- Church of Santi Bartolomeo e Nicola in the Nobiallo district
- Sanctuary of the Madonna della Pace
- San Giusto Church in the Croce district
- San Carlo Church in the Castello district
- Villa Erba
- Villa Penza
- Villa Scanavino in the district of Loveno
- Leone Leoni (* around 1509 in Menaggio; † July 22, 1590 in Milan ) was an Italian sculptor , goldsmith and medalist of the Renaissance .
- Gabriele Malagrida (1689–1761), Jesuit missionary in Brazil , convicted and shot in Lisbon after the Jesuit order was abolished in Portugal .
- Giacomo Rezia (1745-1825), anatomy professor at the University of Pavia , where he founded the Museo anatomico .
- Heinrich Mylius (1769–1854), bought a villa in Loveno in 1829 , now Villa Vigoni, the seat of the German-Italian Center for European Excellence .
- Enrico Caronti (born October 28, 1901 in Blevio; † December 23, 1944 in Menaggio), called Romolo , partisan, communist, political commissioner of the 52 ma Brigata Garibaldi "Luigi Clerici". Shot.
- France: Allevard
- Brazil: Carapicuíba
- Germany: Wolpertswende
Menaggio with Monte Grona and Monte Bregagno (right)
- Anna Ferrari-Bravo, Paola Colombini: Guida d'Italia. Lombardia (esclusa Milano). Milano 1987, p. 299.
- Lombardia - Touring club italiano, Touring Editore (1999), ISBN 88-365-1325-5 , Menaggio Online
- Federico Cereghini, Damiano Cereghini: Nobiallo di Menaggio e il suo Santuario. Menaggio 2002
- Website of the Comune di Menaggio
- Menaggio on the ETHorama platform
- ↑ Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- ↑ Villa Vigoni Centro Italo-Tedesco per l'Eccellenza Europea on villavigoni.eu
- ^ Provost church Santo Stefano (photo) on lombardiabeniculturali.it
- ↑ Santa Marta Church
- ↑ Church of Santi Loreno e Agnese in the Loveno district (photo)
- ↑ Church of Santi Bartolomeo e Nicola (photo)
- ↑ Sanctuary of the Madonna della Pace (photo)
- ↑ Church of San Giusto (photo)
- ↑ Church of San Carlo (photo)
- ↑ Villa Erba (photo)
- ↑ Villa Penza (photo)
- ↑ Villa Scanavino (photo)
- ↑ Leoni, Leone in: Leonard Forrer: Biographical Dictionary of Medallists , Volume III, London 1907, p. 398 ff., English.