Ennio Morricone (born November 10, 1928 in Rome ; † July 6, 2020 there ) was an Italian composer , conductor and Oscar winner . He also worked under the pseudonyms Dan Savio and Leo Nichols and composed the music for more than 500 films . Because he wrote the film music for numerous spaghetti westerns, his name is primarily associated with this film genre . However, he also composed music for other genres.
His film scores for the spaghetti western classic Two Glorious Scoundrels (Original: Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo ), for the western epic Spiel mir das Lied von Tod , for Roland Joffé's drama Mission and for Giuseppe Tornatore's film Cinema Paradiso achieved particular fame . Morricone received the Oscar in 2007 for his life's work and another in 2016 for the music for the film The Hateful Eight .
Morricone studied trumpet and choral music at the Conservatory of Santa Cecilia and received his concert diploma as a trumpeter in 1946. A year later followed a first engagement as a theater composer. In 1953 he began designing the evening program for an Italian radio station. Goffredo Petrassi was responsible for his training as a composer at the conservatory, which he graduated with a diploma in 1954 . In 1956 he married Maria Travia. In the mid-1950s he established himself in the musical avant-garde of his country with chamber music and orchestral works . In 1958 Morricone attended the International Summer Courses for New Music in Darmstadt . In the same year Morricone signed an employment contract as a music assistant at the state broadcaster Radiotelevisione Italiana , where he worked as an arranger. He also wrote arrangements for numerous recordings in the pop genre (for example for Gino Paoli and Mina ) and led the band and orchestra.
Morricone composed his first film music for Luciano Salces Il Federale in 1961 , but international success was a few years away. In 1964 he began his successful collaboration with Sergio Leone (the two had gone to the same school class) and Bernardo Bertolucci . During this time he wrote the music for Leone's films For a Fistful of Dollars , Two Glorious Scoundrels and Play Me a Song of Death . Morricone's compositions were very different from the traditional symphonic Western soundtracks from Hollywood and worked with their unusual sound elements ( Jew's harps , whistles, screams, Coyote ngeheul, owl call, bells, music boxes , whip cracking, beating on anvil etc.) stylistically and innovative. The composer was even able to record hit parade successes with some of his compositions. In the genre of the spaghetti westerns, numerous composers based themselves on the style developed by Morricone.
From the mid-1990s, Morricone composed the score for around 15 films each year. He also played from 1964 to the 1970s in the improvisation ensemble Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza initiated by Franco Evangelisti . Together with other composers, Morricone founded the IRTE.M, a research institute for musical theater, in Rome in 1984.
In more than forty years of artistic creation, Morricone wrote over 500 film scores and worked with well-known Italian and international directors. He conducted a large number of orchestras, collaborating with the Roma Sinfonietta Orchestra for numerous concerts and film music recordings. With this ensemble, Morricone also gave an honorary concert on February 2, 2007 for the inauguration of the Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon .
In addition to film and stage music, he continued to write chamber music for soloists (guitar, piano, violin, cello) and various formations (trio, quintet, sextet, piano and instruments, vocals and instruments, choirs, etc.) as well as cantatas and masses:
- Missa Papae Francisci (2015)
- Partenope (an opera with a libretto by Guido Barbieri and Sandro Cappelletto) (1996)
- Ut (1992)
- Cantata per l'Europa (1988)
- Cantata Frammenti di Eros (1985)
- Gestazione (1980)
- Requiem per un Destino (1966)
- Sestetto (1955)
Family and personal
He met his wife Maria Travia in 1950. You lived in Italy. Another place of residence, e.g. B. near Hollywood , he never wanted. His wife supported him in his work; she wrote additional texts for his music for the film The Mission , which also contain Latin texts. They have three sons and a daughter together:
- Marco (born 1957)
- Alessandra (1961)
- Andrea (1964), conductor and film composer, with whom the Father the music for Cinema Paradiso composed
- Giovanni (1966), filmmaker based in New York
At the 2007 Honorary Oscar ceremony, Clint Eastwood gave the laudatory speech . He translated Morricone's words of thanks in Italian, as Morricone was not fluent in English. A close friendship developed from their longstanding collaboration in many films.
Ennio Morricone died on July 6, 2020 at the age of 91 at the University Campus Bio-Medico in Rome of the consequences of a femoral neck fracture that he suffered in a fall a few days earlier. His death attracted a lot of public attention, in which he was often referred to as the most famous composer in film history.
With his music, Morricone made a significant contribution to the global success of the Leone Westerns, which are now cult films , such as Play Me a Song of Death . Leone once admitted that for him Morricone was more of a screenwriter than a composer, because through music he could convey something that he would otherwise have had to show. And it has been handed down from the composer:
“Film music needs space to be able to unfold. The film has to give the music time to develop. "
Oscars (Academy Awards)
- 1979: nominated for In der Glut des Südens (Days of Heaven)
- 1987: nominated for Mission (The Mission)
- 1988: nominated for The Untouchables (The Untouchables)
- 1992: nominated for Bugsy (Bugsy)
- 2001: nominated for The Magic of Malèna (Malèna)
- 2007: Ehrenoscar (Honorary Award) for his life's work, as he has significantly shaped the history of film melodies; presented by Clint Eastwood
- 2016: won for The Hateful Eight
- 1982: nominated for Butterfly (Best Song) It's Wrong For Me To Love You (together with Carol Connors )
- 1985: nominated for Once Upon a Time in America (best film music)
- 1987: won for Mission (best film music)
- 1988: nominated for The Untouchables - Die Unbrechlichen (best film music)
- 1990: nominated for The Damned of War (best film music)
- 1992: nominated for Bugsy (best film music)
- 2000: won for The Legend of the Ocean Pianist (best film music)
- 2001: nominated for The Magic of Malèna (Best Film Music)
- 2016: won for The Hateful Eight (Best Score)
- 1983: nominated for Butterfly (Worst Song) It's Wrong For Me To Love You (with Carol Connors)
- 1983: nominated for Butterfly (worst film music)
- 1983: nominated for The Thing From Another World (Worst Film Music)
- 1980: won for In der Glut des Südens
- 1985: won for Once Upon a Time in America
- 1987: won for mission
- 1988: won for The Untouchables
- 1991: won for Cinema Paradiso
- 2016: won for The Hateful Eight
- 1988: won for glasses with gold rims
- 1989: won for Cinema Paradiso
- 1991: won for everyone, it's fine
- 1993: won for Jona che visse nella balena
- 1996: nominated for The Man Who Makes the Stars
- 1999: won for The Legend of the Ocean Pianist
- 2000: won for Canone inverso - Making Love
- 2001: nominated for The Magic of Malèna
- 2007: won for The Unknown
- 2010: won for Baarìa
- 2013: won for La migliore offerta
- 1987: won for The Untouchables - Die Unbrechlichen
- 1995: nominated for Wolf - Das Tier im Manne
- 1997: nominated for The Man Who Makes the Stars
- 1999: nominated for Bulworth
- 2014: Received the Grammy Trustees Award for life's work
- 2017: nominated for The Hateful Eight
- 1988: won for The Untouchables
- 1994: won for In the Line of Fire - The Second Chance
- 1994: Lifetime Achievement Award
- 1995: won for Wolf - Das Tier im Manne
Nastro d'Argento for the best film music (Nastro d'Argento / Migliore colonna sonora)
- 1965 for For a Fistful of Dollars
- 1970 for Metti, una sera a cena
- 1972 for Sacco e Vanzetti
- 1985 for Once Upon a Time in America
- 1988 for The Untouchables
- 2000 for Canone inverso
- 2001 for The Magic of Malèna
- 2007 for The Unknown
- 2013 for The Best Offer - The highest bid
- In 1988 he received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the London Critics Circle Film Awards .
- In 1989 the prize for his life's work from the Locarno Film Festival followed .
- In 1994 Morricone was recognized for Lifetime Achievement by the ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards .
- In 1995 he received the Golden Lion for his oeuvre at the Venice International Film Festival .
- In 1999 he received the Erich Wolfgang Korngold Prize .
- In 1999 he received the European Film Award for Lifetime Achievement.
- In 2000 he received the award for his outstanding life's work from the renowned National Board of Review .
- In 2001 he received the Los Angeles Film Critics Association's award for outstanding life's work.
- In 2002 he won the Taormina Festival Art Prize.
- His film score for Mission made it to number 23 in the American Film Institute 's list of the 25 greatest film scores in 100 years.
- On November 18, 2003, Morricone was made an Honorary Senator of the Munich University of Music . The laudation was given by Enjott Schneider .
- In 2007 the asteroid (152188) Morricone was named after him.
- In 2010 Morricone received the Swedish Polar Music Prize .
- In 2013 Morricone was awarded the European Film Prize for his music for the film The Best Offer by Giuseppe Tornatore .
- In 2016 Morricone received the Critics' Choice Movie Award and numerous other critical awards for the score for The Hateful Eight .
- In 2019 he received the Golden Medal of Pontificate from Pope Francis , presented by Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi .
- In 2020 Morricone received the Princess of Asturias Prize in the art category (together with John Williams ).
In 2017, he was also awarded the Grand Cross , the highest level of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic , and accepted into the Legion of Honor . In 2016 he was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame .
Morricone has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide. His compositions have been partially transferred to other genres:
- John Zorn released the album The Big Gundown in 1986 , on which well-known pieces by Morricone were edited.
- Morricone's composition The Ecstasy of Gold from the film Two Glorious Scoundrels has opened every concert by the Metallica band since the mid-1980s . Motörhead and the Ramones handled it similarly with the title melody of the film, the latter around the beginning of their concert album Loco Live .
- American director Quentin Tarantino used Morricone titles for some of his films. In Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 , titles were used that come from, among others, Two Glorious Scoundrels , Navajo Joe and Death Rides a Horse . Tarantino did the same in the 2009 film Inglourious Basterds , which used plays from The Haunted Sierra Madre , Ringo Comes Back, and The Feared Two to give the film a western twist, despite the fact that it is set during World War II . For Django Unchained , in addition to compositions from earlier works, a song composed especially for this film was added to the soundtrack.
For the film The Hateful Eight (2015), Tarantino had the entire film music composed by Morricone, who was 86 at the time of production.
- In 2007 Morricone released the album We All Love Ennio Morricone with cover songs , on which artists such as Metallica, Andrea Bocelli , Roger Waters , Quincy Jones , Daniela Mercury , Bruce Springsteen , Eumir Deodato or Herbie Hancock reinterpreted the most famous of his pieces. The lyrics to I Knew I Loved You were created especially for the CD and written by Alan Bergman and his wife Marilyn Bergman . The title was sung by Celine Dion to the theme song for Once Upon a Time in America .
- The American experimental rock band The Mars Volta played an instrumental for a handful of dollars at each of their concerts .
- The string collective Triology recorded an album in 1999 (Triology Plays Ennio Morricone) with arranged pieces by Morricone.
- The German rock band Dezperadoz uses the piece Man with a Harmonica from Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod as an intro on their first album Dawn of Dying (2002) .
- In 2003 the CD For a Few Guitars More was created with guitar versions of Morricone's soundtracks.
- Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi released the album Rome in 2011 , which is designed as a homage to the spaghetti western soundtracks by Ennio Morricone.
- In 2011 Ennio Morricone re-recorded the album Paradiso together with the singer Hayley Westenra .
- Morricone was friends with the Italian visual artist Giovanni Manfredini and gave musical accompaniment to his church installations in 2010 in Santa Maria del Popolo in Rome and in 2015 in the Chiesa Madonna dell'Orto on the occasion of the Venice Biennale .
Film music (selection)
- 1961: Alla scoperta dell'America
- 1961: Verrò (short film)
- 1961: Vicino al ciel (short film)
- 1961: Two in one boot (Il federale)
- 1962: Diciottenni al sole
- 1962: I motorizzati
- 1962: La cuccagna
- 1962: La voglia matta
- 1963: Three against Sacramento (Gringo)
- 1963: The basilisks (I basilischi)
- 1964: Full of heart and empty pockets (… e la donna creò l'uomo)
- 1964: For a handful of dollars (Per un pugno di Dollari)
- 1964: The last two of the Rio Bravo (Le pistole non discutono)
- 1964: The Bible (La Bibbia) (music was not used for contractual reasons)
- 1964: Before the Revolution (Prima della rivoluzione)
- 1965: For a few dollars more (Per qualche Dollaro in più)
- 1965: With my fist in my pocket (I pugni in tasca)
- 1965: A pistol for Ringo (Una pistola per Ringo)
- 1965: Ringo comes back (Il ritorno di Ringo)
- 1965: The 7 pistols of McGregor (7 pistole per i MacGregor)
- 1966: Agent 505 - Beirut Death Trap
- 1966: A flood of dollars (Un fiume di dollari)
- 1966: Bounty: One Dollar (Navajo Joe)
- 1966: Battle of Algiers (La battaglia di Algeri)
- 1966: Kill Amigo (Quien sabe?)
- 1966: Top Job (Ad ogni costo)
- 1966: Two glorious scoundrels (Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo)
- 1966: That certain something for women (Come imparai ad amare le donne)
- 1967: The Haunted of the Sierra Madre (La resa dei conti)
- 1966: The Cruel (I crudeli)
- 1967: I come from the end of the world (L'avventuriero)
- 1967: A ball for Mac Gregor (7 donne per i Mac Gregor)
- 1967: Operation "Little Brother" (Ok Connery)
- 1967: ... and tomorrow you're going to hell (Dalle Ardenne all'inferno)
- 1967: Face to Face (Faccia a faccia)
- 1967: San Sebastian (La bataille de San Sebastian)
- 1967: From man to man (The bill is paid with lead) (Da uomo a uomo)
- 1967: The girl and the general (La ragazza e il generale)
- 1968: Thank you, aunt (Grazie zia)
- 1968: Escalation
- 1968: The Feared Two (Il mercenario)
- 1968: corpses pave his way (Il grande Silenzio)
- 1968: partner
- 1968: Play me the song of death (C'era una volta il West)
- 1968: The Unbeatable (Gli intoccabili)
- 1968: Teorema - Geometry of Love (Teorema)
- 1968: Tepepa
- 1968: Diabolik
- 1968: The Cursed House (Un tranquillo posto di campagna)
- 1969: The red tent (Krasnaya palatka)
- 1969: The clan of Sicilians (Le clan des Siciliens)
- 1969: The Five Feared (Un esercito di cinque uomini)
- 1969: Queimada - Island of Terror (Burn!)
- 1969: Those who die in the dirt (God with us / Dio e con noi)
- 1969: A hot November (Un bellissimo novembre)
- 1969: The Nun of Monza (La monaca di Monza)
- 1970: Brutal City (Città violenta)
- 1970: Investigations against a citizen who is above suspicion (Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto)
- 1970: The Wasp 's Nest (Hornets' Nest)
- 1970: When women still had tails (Quando le donne avevano la coda)
- 1970: Decameron (Il Decameron)
- 1970: Two Mules for Sister Sara (Two Mules for Sister Sara)
- 1970: Two companeros (Vamos a matar, companeros)
- 1970: La Califfa
- 1970: The secret of the black gloves (L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo)
- 1971: Maddalena (Come Maddalena)
- 1971: The nine-tailed cat (Il gatto a nove code)
- 1971: Sacco and Vanzetti (Sacco e Vanzetti)
- 1971: Melody of Death (Giù la testa)
- 1971: Four flies on gray velvet (Quattro mosche di velluto grigio)
- 1971: The Coup (Le Casse)
- 1971: The way of the working class to paradise (La classe operaia va in paradiso)
- 1972: An Honorable Man (Un uomo da rispettare)
- 1972: Amigos (... e per tetto un cielo di stelle)
- 1972: The assassination (L'attentat)
- 1972: Pray, Amigo! (Che c'entriamo noi con la rivoluzione?)
- 1972: Bluebeard (Barbe bleu)
- 1972: The Lone Returns (El retorno de Clint el Solitario)
- 1972: Pasolini's maddened stories (I racconti di Canterbury)
- 1972: The Secret of the Green Pin (Cosa avete fatto a Solange?)
- 1972: Violence - the fifth power in the state (La violenza: quinto potere)
- 1972: Providenza! - Mousetrap for two weird birds (La vita a volte è molto dura, vero Provvidenza?)
- 1972: The red sun of vengeance (La banda JS: cronaca criminale del Far West)
- 1972: The Child - The city becomes a nightmare (Chi l'ha vista morire?)
- 1973: The Serpent (Le Serpent)
- 1973: Ci risiamo, vero Provvidenza?
- 1973: My name is Nobody (Il mio nome è Nessuno)
- 1974: The network of a thousand eyes (Le secret)
- 1974: The Berserker (Milano odia: la polizia non può sparare)
- 1974: Erotic stories from 1001 nights (Il fiore delle mille e una notte)
- 1974: Allonsanfan (Allonsanfàn)
- 1974: Mussolini - The Last Days (Mussolini - Ultimo atto)
- 1974: Trio Infernal (Le trio infernal)
- 1975: fear of the city (Peur sur la ville)
- 1975: The 120 days of Sodom (Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma)
- 1975: Moses - The Legislator (Mosè)
- 1975: Nobody is the greatest (Un genio, due compari, un pollo)
- 1975: The judge and his executioner
- 1976: 1900 (Novecento)
- 1976: The Tatar Desert (Il deserto dei Tatari)
- 1977: Exorcist II - The Heretic (Exorcist II: The Heretic)
- 1977: Orca, the killer whale (Orca)
- 1977: If you die, I'll live! (Autostop rosso sangue)
- 1978: Germany in autumn
- 1978: In the embers of the south (Days of heaven)
- 1978: A cage full of fools (La cage aux folles)
- 1978: Spazio: 1999 , Italian compilation film for Moon Base Alpha 1
- 1978: The brothel on Rue Provence (One, Two, Two: 122, rue de Provence)
- 1979: Stolen Hearts (Bugie Bianche)
- 1979: blood trail (Bloodline)
- 1979: I like Ikarus (I comme Icare)
- 1979: La Luna
- 1979: Battle for the 5th galaxy (L'umanoide)
- 1980: Buccaneers of Death (The Island)
- 1980: The bandit with the black and blue eyes (Il bandito dagli occhi azzurri)
- 1980: The banker's wife (La banquière)
- 1980: Another cage full of fools (La cage aux folles II)
- 1981: The Freaky Professor (So fine)
- 1981: A fist goes west (Occhio alla penna)
- 1981: The Mole (Espion, lève-toi)
- 1981: The professional (Le professionel)
- 1981: The tragedy of a ridiculous man (La tragedia di un uomo ridicolo)
- 1982: The Thing (The Thing)
- 1982: Marco Polo
- 1982: White Dog (White Dog)
- 1982: Butterfly - The blonde butterfly (Butterfly)
- 1983: The Outsider (Le marginal)
- 1983: Copkiller
- 1983: The Secret of the Four Crown Jewels (El tesoro de las cuatro coronas)
- 1983: Hundra
- 1983: The Scarlet and the Black (The Scarlet and the Black)
- 1983: The Battering Ram (Le Ruffian)
- 1983: Sahara
- 1984: Once Upon a Time in America (Once Upon a Time in America)
- 1985: A cage full of fools - Now they get married (La cage aux folles III - "Elles" se marient)
- 1985: Red Sonja
- 1986: Fever in the heart / Love fire in Venice / The Venetian woman (La venexiana)
- 1986: Mission (The Mission)
- 1986–1995: Alone against the Mafia (La piovra)
- 1987: glasses with gold rim (Gli occhiali d'oro)
- 1987: The Secret of the Sahara (Il segreto del Sahara)
- 1987: The Untouchables (The Untouchables)
- 1988: Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo cinema paradiso)
- 1988: Frantic
- 1989: The Shadow Makers (Fat Man and Little Boy)
- 1989: The Casualties of War
- 1989: The betrothed (I promessi sposi) (TV miniseries)
- 1990: tie me up! (¡Átame!)
- 1990–1991: Die Fussbroichs (theme music from Mein Name ist Nobody)
- 1990: Hamlet
- 1990: Everyone is fine (Stanno tutti bene)
- 1990: In the forecourt to hell (State of Grace)
- 1991: Bugsy
- 1993: The Bible - Abraham (Abraham)
- 1993: In the Line of Fire - The Second Chance (In the Line of Fire)
- 1994: The Bible - Genesis (Genesi - La Creazione e il diluvio)
- 1994: The Bible - Jacob (Jacob)
- 1994: Unveiling (Disclosure)
- 1994: Perfect Love Affair (Love Affair)
- 1994: Wolf - The animal in a man (Wolf)
- 1995: The Bible - Joseph (Joseph)
- 1995: Declared Pereira (Sostiene Pereira)
- 1995: The man who makes the stars (L'uomo delle stelle)
- 1996: The Bible - Moses (Moses)
- 1996: The Bible - Samson and Delilah
- 1996: The Stendhal Syndrome (La sindrome di Stendhal)
- 1997: Lolita
- 1997: U-Turn - No way back (U-Turn)
- 1998: Bulworth
- 1998: The Phantom of the Opera (Il fantasma dell'opera)
- 1999: The Legend of the Ocean Pianist (La leggenda del pianista sull'Oceano)
- 2000: Mission to Mars
- 2000: Vatel
- 2000: The Magic of Malèna (Malèna)
- 2002: Ripley's Game (Il gioco di Ripley)
- 2004: John XXIII. - For a world in peace (Il Papa buono)
- 2005: Fateless (Sorstalanság)
- 2005: Karol - A man who became Pope (Karol, un uomo diventato Papa)
- 2006: Karol - Pope and Man (Karol, un Papa rimasto uomo)
- 2006: A Crime
- 2006: The Unknown (La sconosciuta)
- 2009: Baarìa (Baarìa - La porta del vento)
- 2012: Django Unchained
- 2013: The Best Offer - The highest bid (La migliore offerta)
- 2015: The Hateful Eight
- 2015: En mai, fais ce qu'il te plaît
- 2016: La correspondenza
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, rankings, weeks, awards, notes)
|1967||A Fistful of Dollars||-||-||-||-||
US107 (28 weeks)
Soundtrack to the movie For a handful of dollars
|1968||The Good, the Bad and the Ugly||-||-||-||-||
Soundtrack for the film Two Glorious Scoundrels
|1971||Once Upon a Time in the West||
DE47 (4 weeks)
Soundtrack to the movie Play Me a Song of Death
|1972||Once Upon a Time in the West||-||-||
CH86 (1 week)
Soundtrack to the movie Play Me a Song of Death
DE5 (13 weeks)
|This Is Ennio Morricone||-||-||-||
UK23 (5 weeks)
UK29 (6 weeks)
US132 (13 weeks)
IT87 (1 week)
Soundtrack for the film Mission
Chart entry in IT not until 2020
|1993||Play me the song of death -
The Very Best Of
DE77 (10 weeks)
AT32 (2 weeks)
|2000||The very best of||-||-||-||
UK48 (1 week)
UK69 (1 week)
IT33 (4 weeks)
Chart entry in IT only in 2020
UK13 (5 weeks)
with Hayley Westenra
|2016||Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight"||
DE82 (1 week)
AT54 (2 weeks)
Soundtrack for The Hateful Eight
DE75 (2 weeks)
CH44 (2 weeks)
UK84 (1 week)
with the Czech National Symphony Orchestra
|2020||De Sergio Leone à Quentin Ternentino||-||-||
CH26 (2 weeks)
: no chart data available for this year
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, album , rankings, weeks, awards, notes)
|1970||Play Me a Song of Death (Jill's Theme)||
CH2 (16 weeks)
|1974||My name is Nobody||
DE44 (1 week)
CH2 (14 weeks)
DE23 (15 weeks)
AT4 (12 weeks)
CH2 (13 weeks)
- Jean Lhassa: Homage to Maitre Ennio Morricone. Limited edition of 500 copies. Editions du Center d'Art d'Ixelles, 1986.
- Sergio Miceli: Morricone - The music, the cinema. Edition Filmwerkstatt, 2000, ISBN 3-930524-03-1 .
- Christiane Hausmann: Between avant-garde and commerce - the compositions of Ennio Morricone. Wolke Verlag, Hofheim 2008, ISBN 978-3-936000-68-9 .
- Ennio Morricone in Venice. Live at Piazza San Marco. DVD and book. Icestorm Entertainment GmbH / ARS Latina, 2008.
- Toni Hildebrandt: Ennio Morricone and Giuseppe Tornatore. The music, the cinema. Grin Verlag, Regensburg 2007.
- Wolfgang Sandner: Play me the song by Morricone. In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. November 8, 2008, Z3.
- Peter Moormann (ed.): Classics of film music. Reclam-Verlag, Ditzingen 2009.
- Guido Heldt , Tarek Krohn , Peter Moormann: Ennio Morricone. Edition text and criticism, München 2014, ISBN 978-3-86916-274-4 .
- Lorenzo Sorbo: The Dramatic Functions of Italian Spaghetti Western Soundtracks: A Comparison between Ennio Morricone and Francesco De Masi. In: Sebastian Stoppe: Film in Concert. Film Scores and their Relation to Classical Concert Music . VWH Verlag, Glückstadt, Germany 2014, ISBN 978-3-86488-060-5 . Pp. 161-174.
- Ennio Morricone - The master of film music. Photo book with 4 audio CDs. edel Germany, 2013, ISBN 978-3-943573-02-2 .
- Interview. In: Die Zeit , No. 9/2007
- Ennio Morricone at Discogs (English)
- Ennio Morricone at the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Literature by and about Ennio Morricone in the catalog of the German National Library
- Official website
- Interview with Ennio Morricone after receiving the Oscar for his life's work. KlassikInfo.de
- Ennio Morricone on MusicBrainz (English)
- Peter V. Brinkemper: Ennio Morricone - film music today, then and in the future . Telepolis , 2007
- Ennio Morricone in Vienna: Yes, men can cry too . derstandard.at, February 9, 2017
- Interview with Ennio Morricone. In: Marc Hairapetian: “Conservative directors would have fled from me screaming!” - Ennio Morricone wrote great film scores for Sergio Leone, Pier Paolo Pasolini and Quentin Tarantino. Now he's 90. Time to visit Rome at home. , in Die Zeit , November 10, 2018
- Interview with Helmut Lachenmann on van.atavist.com. February 26, 2016.
- csosoundsandstories.org: Ennio Morricone, a chameleon of modern music
- Ennio Morricone morto nella notte a Roma: aveva 91 anni, si era rotto il femore. Celebrati funerali privati con famiglia e Tornatore. In: Il Messaggero . Retrieved July 6, 2020 (Italian).
- Michael Hanisch: Felt Reality - A Perfectionist: the composer Ennio Morricone in Film-Dienst 23/2003 p. 46 f. At the age of 75.
- Awards for Ennio Morricone. imdb.com, accessed December 4, 2014 .
- University of Music and Theater Munich ( Memento from April 6, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Ennio Morricone receives European Film Award Focus Online, October 28, 2013.
- Announcement about the award of medals , accessed on May 3, 2019.
- Princess of Asturias Prize 2020
- Ennio Morricone | Hollywood Walk of Fame. Retrieved September 24, 2019 .
- Zammerumaskil, Roma
- Fondazione Italiani ( Memento of July 29, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- The Quentin Tarantino Archives January 15, 2013: Django Unchained complete soundtrack list with movie references. Retrieved January 19, 2013
- Ennio Morricone Official Website.
- Chart sources: DE AT CH UK US
- Gold / Platinum databases: UK US
- Günter Ehnert: Hit balance sheet - German chart singles 1956-1980 . 1st edition. Verlag popular music-literature, Norderstedt 2000, ISBN 3-922542-24-7 , p. 445 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Savio, Dan (pseudonym); Nichols, Leo (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian film music composer and conductor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 10, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rome|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 6, 2020|
|Place of death||Rome|