Uwe Peschel (born November 4, 1968 in Berlin ) is a former German racing cyclist . He achieved his greatest success at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona , when he became Olympic champion in the 100 km road four .
Peschel began his cycling career at SC Dynamo Berlin , the club in which his father was already active. In 1990 he moved to the local TSV in Erfurt . For this he also competed in the cycling Bundesliga races in the early 1990s. Peschel achieved his greatest successes in the time trial : In addition to his Olympic victory in 1992 in the road four, he was twice German road champion in the individual time trial and once in the team time trial . He also won numerous individual time trials on the international calendar, including twice the Grand Prix des Nations and once the Grand Prix Eddy Merckx . At the UCI Road World Championships , he won three silver and one bronze medal in the team time trial.
For winning the gold medal in Barcelona, he received the silver bay leaf on June 23, 1993 .
In 1997 Peschel rode for the first time for an international cycling team , the Italian team Cantina Tollo . After a year with the Spanish team Estepona-Brepac , he moved to the German team Gerolsteiner in 1999 , where he ended his career after the 2005 season. For these teams he denied and finished all Grand Tours . After a fall on the last individual time trial of the 2003 Tour de France , he broke two ribs and a lung collapsed, whereupon he was unable to start the next stage.
Today he lives in Kressbronn on Lake Constance , is married and has two sons. He is still professionally connected to cycling with his own company.
Grand Tour placements
|Tour de France||-||-||-||-||-||-||WD||125||-|
|Vuelta a España||-||91||-||-||-||-||-||-||103|
- Rad Sport Kontakt GmbH (Ed.): Rad – Bundesliga 1993 . Frankfurt am Main 1993, p. 41 .
- Landessportbund Niedersachsen e. V., VIBSS: The Federal President and his duties in the field of sport: .... on June 23, 1993, Federal President von Weizsäcker signed .... disabled and non-disabled athletes, namely the medal winners of the 1992 Olympic and Paralympic Games the silver bay leaf from ...
- Peschel needs an operation: tour over. radsport-news.com, July 26, 2003, accessed December 7, 2015 .
- Peschel becomes sports director of the Swiss Roth team. radsport-news.com, January 24, 2016, accessed January 25, 2016 .
- Official website
- Uwe Peschel in the Radsportseiten.net database
- Uwe Peschel in the ProCyclingStats.com database
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cyclist ; Olympic winner|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th November 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|