Lyon County (Kansas)
Lyon County Courthouse
|US state :||Kansas|
|Administrative headquarters :||Emporia|
|Address of the
430 Commercial Street
Emporia, KS 66801-4000
|Foundation :||February 5, 1862|
|Area code :||001 620|
|Residents :||33,690 (2010)|
|Population density :||15.3 inhabitants / km 2|
|Total area :||2215 km²|
|Water surface :||11 km²|
|Website : www.lyoncounty.org|
The county is located in east central Kansas and has an area of 2215 square kilometers, of which eleven square kilometers are water. It is bordered clockwise by the following counties: Wabaunsee County , Osage County , Coffey County , Greenwood County , Chase County, and Morris County .
Lyon County has a National Historic Landmark , the William Allen White House . A total of 17 buildings and sites in the county are listed on the National Register of Historic Places (as of August 30, 2017).
|growth of population|
1900–1990 2000 + 2010
According to the 2000 census , there were 35,935 people in 13,691 households and 8,639 families in Lyon County. The population density was 16 people per square kilometer. The racial the population was composed of 83.27 percent white, 2.27 percent African American, 0.47 percent Native American, 2.04 percent Asian, 0.01 percent of residents from the Pacific island area and 9.79 percent from other ethnic groups Groups; 2.16 percent were descended from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.72 percent of the population.
Of the 13,691 households, 32.6 percent had children under the age of 18 living with them. 50.8 percent were married couples living together, 8.4 percent were single mothers, and 36.9 percent were non-families. 28.5 percent of all households were single households and 9.8 percent had people aged 65 or over. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.12.
25.7 percent of the population were under 18 years old. 16.2 percent between 18 and 24 years of age, 27.2 percent between 25 and 44 years of age, 19.1 percent between 45 and 64 years of age, and 11.6 percent were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 97.4 males. For every 100 adult women aged 18 and over there were 95.2 men.
The median income for a household in the city is $ 32,819 , and the median income for a family is $ 43,112. Males had a median income of $ 28,865 versus $ 21,338 for females. The per capita income was $ 15,724.
9.6 percent of families and 14.5 percent of the population were below the poverty line.
Places in the county
- GNIS-ID: 485020. Retrieved on February 22, 2011 (English).
- Listing of National Historic Landmarks by State: Kansas . National Park Service , accessed August 30, 2017.
- Search mask database in the National Register Information System. National Park Service , accessed August 30, 2017.
- US Census Bureau - Census of Population and Housing . Retrieved March 15, 2011
- Extract from Census.gov . Retrieved February 17, 2011
- Extract from census.gov (2000 + 2010) ( Memento of the original from July 14, 2011 on WebCite ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 2, 2012
- Lyon County, Kansas , 2000 census data sheet at factfinder.census.gov .