|coat of arms||Germany map|
|County :||Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
|Association municipality :||Altenkirchen-Flammersfeld|
|Height :||220 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||2.83 km 2|
|Residents:||279 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||99 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||57612|
|Area code :||02681|
|License plate :||AK|
|Community key :||07 1 32 049|
|Association administration address:||Rathausstrasse 13
|Local Mayor :||Harald Bischoff|
|Location of the local community Hemmelzen in the district of Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
The municipality of Hemmelzen is 7 km from the center of the district town of Altenkirchen between Neitersen and Obernau in the south and Birnbach in the north. In the west is Oberölfen . The community is surrounded by forests belonging to the Altenkirchen state forest .
The size of the district is 2.83 km². The built-up location with currently 61 houses has a total area of approx. 12.5 hectares.
The place Hemmelzen belonged to the parish court Birnbach and was first mentioned in 1491. In 1492 Hyntze von Hemmlzen was a judge in Mehren . After the division of the County of Sayn into Sayn-Altenkirchen and Sayn-Hachenburg, there was a customs station in Hemmelzen in the direction of Obernau, but this was of no importance and was dissolved again in 1687. In 1578 there were 16 houses ("Räuche") in the community, in 1620 there were 10, and from 1667 to 1793 19 houses. In 1888 the population had increased to 39 houses; In 1988 there were 51 houses.
The place name has changed over the centuries: Hemelhusen , Himelsen and Hemelsen finally led to the current spelling Hemmelzen .
The old mill, which is still standing today, was put into operation as a ban mill in 1688 . When electricity arrived in the 1920s, it meant the end of many water-powered mills . In 1960 the Hemmelzer Mühle finally ceased operations.
- See also the list of cultural monuments in Hemmelzen
- Population development
The development of the population of Hemmelzen, the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
In the direct election on May 26, 2019, Harald Bischoff was confirmed in his office for another five years with 80.0% of the votes.
Economy and Infrastructure
With an agricultural area of around 1.65 km² (58% of the municipal area), Hemmelzen was a purely agriculturally structured place in earlier years. Today there are 7 part-time farmers in the village . The community has two hotels with restaurants.
- Traditional costume dance group Almfreunde Hemmelzen
- Kurt Kölbach: The Second World War in Hemmelzen and the surrounding area , in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 45 (2002), pp. 109–113.
- Kurt Kölbach: Agriculture in Hemmelzen in the 30s , in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 46 (2003), pp. 289–295.
- Daniel Schneider: The mill trade in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen , in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 59 (2016), pp. 219–237.
- Local community Hemmelzen on the website of the Verbandsgemeinde Altenkirchen
- Photos of the Hemmelzen mill
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, municipalities, association communities ( help on this ).
- See Daniel Schneider: The mill trade in the County of Sayn-Altenkirchen, pp. 219–233.
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate - regional data .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Local council election 2019 Hemmelzen. Retrieved December 25, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: direct elections 2019. see Altenkirchen-Flammersfeld, Verbandsgemeinde, 23rd line of results. Retrieved December 25, 2019 .