|coat of arms||Germany map|
|County :||Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
|Association municipality :||Daaden-Herdorf|
|Height :||466 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||8.49 km 2|
|Residents:||2246 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||265 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||57586|
|Area code :||02743|
|License plate :||AK|
|Community key :||07 1 32 113|
|LOCODE :||DE WFX|
|Community structure:||2 districts|
|Association administration address:||Bahnhofstrasse 4
|Local Mayor :||Karl-Heinz Keßler ( SPD )|
|Location of the community of Weitefeld in the district of Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
Weitefeld lies at an altitude of about Rhineland-Palatinate in the Hohen Westerwald on the northern edge of the Neunkhausen-Weitefeld plateau. The Dreisbach rises in the village, which flows into the Daade at Niederdreisbach , and the Elbbach flows into the Sieg at Schönstein . The Klinglerskopf lies north of Weitefeld, the Steinkopf to the northwest and the Galgenkopf to the east of Oberdreisbach.in northern
Neighboring communities of Weitefeld are Niederdreisbach in the north, Daaden (with Biersdorf ) in the northeast, Friedewald in the southeast, Langenbach bei Kirburg in the south, Neunkhausen in the southwest and Elkenroth in the west.
The community consists of the now overgrown districts Weitefeld, Oberdreisbach and the residential areas "Vor dem See" and "Waldhaus".
Weitefeld was first mentioned in 848 as Witafelde (wide field).
In the Middle Ages Weitefeld and Oberdreisbach were part of the Daaden parish in the county of Sayn . After the introduction of the Reformation in County Sayn, the inhabitants became Lutheran and later Reformed . After the division of the County of Sayn in the 17th century, Oberdreisbach and Weitefeld belonged to the County of Sayn-Altenkirchen . In 1770 there was evidence of a mill in the valley near Weitefeld and Oberdreisbach. The county of Sayn-Altenkirchen came to Prussia by inheritance in 1791 and in 1803 was assigned to the Principality of Nassau-Usingen in the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss , which became part of the Duchy of Nassau in 1806 . A participant in the Congress of Vienna made (1815) agreements, the territory of the former saynischen counties was to the Kingdom of Prussia ceded . Under the Prussian administration, both localities were assigned to the Daaden mayor's office in the newly established Altenkirchen district , which from 1822 belonged to the Rhine Province . In 1817 Weitefeld had 286 inhabitants with the Weitefeld mill and Oberdreisbach 158.
School instruction in Weitefeld was first mentioned in 1707. The first school building followed in 1752, which was replaced by a new one in 1874. In 1914 it was replaced again due to lack of space. In the same year both old school buildings burned down. In 1996/1997 the existing building was expanded.
Today's community was formed on June 7, 1969 from the communities of Weitefeld (then 1,531 inhabitants) and Oberdreisbach (498 inhabitants).
- Population development
The development of the number of inhabitants in relation to today's municipal area; the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
The municipal council in Weitefeld consists of 16 council members, who were elected in the local elections on May 26, 2019 in a personalized proportional representation, and the honorary local mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the municipal council:
- FWG = Free Voting Group of the community of Weitefeld e. V.
- WfW = We for Weitefeld e. V.
The local mayor of Weitefeld is Karl-Heinz Keßler (SPD). In the direct election on May 26, 2019, he was confirmed in his office with a share of the vote of 83.52%.
coat of arms
|Founding of the coat of arms: Since 1982, the local community has had a coat of arms that contains three symbols that have historical references. The double-tailed, looking Sayn lion indicates the former rule of the Counts of Sayn , to which a large part of the Altenkirchen district and thus Weitefeld belonged. The cross formed by nettle leaves is derived from the coat of arms of the Lords of Greifenstein , it can also be found as the "Greifensteiner Kreuz" in the former jury and court seal of Daaden and in the current coat of arms of the Daaden community. These fish symbolize three fish-rich lakes that belonged to Marienstatt Abbey and no longer exist today. Today only corresponding hallway names remind of them.|
Economy and Infrastructure
- Weitefeld primary school. The school authority is the Weitefeld community.
- Peter Lücker (1875–1957), local history researcher
- Günther Langenbach: Eleven hundred and fifty years of Weitefeld. In: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 41. 1998, pp. 93–97.
- Peter Lücker: Festschrift for the 1100th anniversary of the Westerwalddorf Weitefeld. Weitefeld 1948.
- Ortgemeinde Weitefeld (Ed.): Festschrift for the 1150th anniversary of the Weitefeld community. Weitefeld 1998.
- Horst Walter Overkott: The teachers at the elementary school in Oberdreisbach from 1776 to 1949. In: Daadetaler Geschichtsbriefe 1. 2010, pp. 25–28.
- Alfred Schneider: 50 years ago: End of the war in Weitefeld. In: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 39. 1996, pp. 147–148.
- Daniel Schneider: The milling industry in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen. In: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 59. 2016, pp. 219–237.
- Daniel Schneider: The development of denominations in the county of Sayn in the plan. In: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 58. 2015, pp. 74–80.
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, communities, association communities ( help on this ).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): Official directory of the municipalities and parts of the municipality. Status: January 2018 [ Version 2020 is available. ] . S. 9 (PDF; 2.2 MB).
- Daniel Schneider: The development of denominations in the county of Sayn in plan. Pp. 74-80.
- Daniel Schneider: The milling industry in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen. P. 231.
- On the historical development of the mills in the County of Sayn cf. Daniel Schneider: The milling industry in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen, pp. 219–239.
- Weitefeld primary school ( Memento from August 1, 2012 in the web archive archive.today )
- Chronicle of the FF Weitefeld ( Memento from November 17, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Official municipality directory 2006 ( Memento from December 22, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) (= State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate [Hrsg.]: Statistical volumes . Volume 393 ). Bad Ems March 2006, p. 200 (PDF; 2.6 MB). Info: An up-to-date directory ( 2016 ) is available, but in the section "Territorial changes - Territorial administrative reform" it does not give any population figures.
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate - regional data
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: City Council Election 2019 Weitefeld. Retrieved November 12, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Municipal elections 2014, city and municipal council elections
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: direct elections 2019. see Daaden-Herdorf, Verbandsgemeinde, last line of results. Retrieved November 12, 2019 .