|coat of arms||Germany map|
|County :||Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
|Association municipality :||Daaden-Herdorf|
|Height :||427 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||19.56 km 2|
|Residents:||4243 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||217 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||57567|
|Area code :||02743|
|License plate :||AK|
|Community key :||07 1 32 018|
|City structure:||2 districts|
|Association administration address:||Bahnhofstrasse 4
|City Mayor :||Walter Strunk ( SPD )|
|Location of the town of Daaden in the district of Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
Daaden is a town in the Altenkirchen (Westerwald) district in Rhineland-Palatinate . In Daaden is the administrative seat of the Verbandsgemeinde Daaden-Herdorf , to which it also belongs. Daaden is classified as a basic center according to state planning .
The Daade flows through the towns of Daaden and Biersdorf . The stream rises at the Stegenkopf and flows into the Heller near Alsdorf . In the middle of Daaden the Friedewalder Bach flows into the Daade .
The Sottersbach rises northeast of Daaden and is not far from the village, separated only by the Mühlberg . Other mountains around Daaden are the Hahnenkopf and Auf der Burg . Daaden lies at an altitude of.
Nearby was the Daaden military training area (Stegskopf camp) of the German armed forces . The area of the military training area is partly a nature reserve , as there is a low moor with approaches to the high moor ("Derscher Geschwämm") with rare plants.
In 1219 Daaden was first mentioned under "Gerardus sacerdos de Dadene". A priest named Gerhard from Daaden had sealed a document together with a pastor from Burbach in a monastery near Seck . Since the early Middle Ages, Daaden was the seat of the parish and the administration in the former Friedewald office of the County of Sayn .
Mining began in the Daade Valley in the 18th century. In 1712 the Füssenberg mine in today's Daaden-Biersdorf district was first mentioned. Up until their closure in 1965, as one of the last two mines in the Siegerland ore district , the mines shaped the economic image of Daaden and especially Biersdorf. With a depth of over 1,000 m and several million tons of iron ore extracted, the mine was also one of the larger in the entire region. Other pits were Glaskopf , Krain , Morgenstunde , Reuschenberg or Freiheit crown , which apart from Glaskopf all had little economic importance. Around 1800 an iron and copper smelter was in operation in Daaden , but it was shut down in the 1870s.
The industrial boom and with it the prosperity in the Daadetal came after the construction of the Betzdorf-Daaden line in 1884/1885.
In 1815, under Prussian administration, the Daaden mayor's office was re-established, which resembles today's Daaden community. The administrative seat was Daaden. Today's local community was created on June 7, 1969 through the formation of the previously independent communities of Biersdorf (1,616 inhabitants) and Daaden (3,150 inhabitants).
The development of the population of Daaden in relation to today's municipal area; the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
Based on a resolution by the municipal council, an application was made to the state government in July 2016 to grant city rights. The approval was given on March 7, 2017 by Interior Minister Roger Lewentz . The city charter was awarded during a city festival on June 11, 2017.
The distribution of seats in the municipal council:
The honorary city mayor is Walter Strunk (SPD), he was directly elected in the 2014 local elections with 54.1 percent of the vote . In the direct election on May 26, 2019, he was confirmed in his office with 72.35% of the votes.
Culture and sights
According to Hermann-Josef Roth, the Protestant parish church is “one of the most beautiful baroque churches in the Westerwald ”. The square west tower is reminiscent of the Romanesque predecessor building from 1136, which had to give way to the new building from 1722 to 1724. As a special feature, an angel is mounted on the top of the church tower as a weather vane.
In the main town and in the district of Biersdorf you can see some old half-timbered houses from the 18th and 19th centuries. The stone house Alte Post was originally the seat of the count's chief magistrate von Schütz, built in 1671 as a castle-like mansion by NW Simolt. The building housed the post office for 80 years, in 1979/1980 it was restored and an annex was added in which the community center is located. The Daadener Land local history museum is located in the Alte Post .
Economy and Infrastructure
- Daaden is the end point of the Daadetalbahn , which departs from Betzdorf and on which the trains of the RB 97 line of the Westerwaldbahn of the Altenkirchen district run daily, mostly every hour, according to the Rhineland-Palatinate cycle .
- Furthermore, some journeys on the BRS line R23 Neunkirchen - Herdorf (-Daaden) lead into the municipality in order to ensure good connections via Neunkirchen to Siegen (R22) and to Burbach (R44).
Daaden is on the state roads 280 and 285. Their expansion in the village meant that the two streams of the Emmerzhäuser Bach and the Friedewälder Bach, which merge into the Daade , are now partially underground and in some places are no longer visible.
As the seat of the association, Daaden houses its administration.
Daaden has two primary schools ( Daadetalschule and Biersdorf Primary School ) and a Realschule plus ( Hermann Gmeiner School ).
Leisure and sports facilities
The Verbandsgemeinde Daaden maintains an indoor swimming pool in Daaden. There is also an outdoor pool run by the local community. In Daaden you will also find a skater park, a tennis court, a shooting range, an artificial turf field, a mini golf course, a beach volleyball court, a football field and two gyms (one has a climbing wall).
- Hans-Artur Bauckhage (1943–2018), politician (FDP), former Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Economics, Transport, Agriculture and Viticulture of Rhineland-Palatinate, former member of the state parliament
- Friedrich Bellingrodt (1830–1904), born in Daaden, worked as a pharmacist and voluntary local politician in Oberhausen, did research on the history of pharmacies in Cologne in retirement, and was an honorary member of the German Pharmacists' Association
- Erich Heckelmann (* 1935), teacher and politician
- Jephza (* 1990), musician
- Arthur Knautz (1911–1943), member of the German handball Olympic team, which won the gold medal in Berlin in 1936
- Thomas Kraft (* 1988 in Kirchen), soccer player, grew up in Daaden
- Hans-Dieter Moritz (* 1940), former member of the state parliament in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Gerhard Roth (* 1933), former member of the state parliament
- Horst Scheel (* 1950), actor
- Walter Scheel (1919–2016), Federal President, politician (FDP), spent years of his childhood in Daaden
- Karl Schneider-Pungs (1914–2001), Rear Admiral, Commander of the Mürwik Naval School
- Claus Scholl (1945–2015), legal scholar, grew up in Daaden
- Margit Stein (* 1966), marksman , participant in the Olympic Games in 1988 (Seoul) and 1992 (Barcelona)
- Horst Koch: 775 years of Daaden. A walk through the anniversary congregation and its eventful history . Siegen 1994. ISBN 3-928343-04-1 .
- Hans Schell: All around the bridge head. From the fauna and flora of the Daaden military training area and its neighboring communities . Westerwald association "Friends around the bridge head". Daaden 2003.
- Gerhard Beck, Horst Walter Overkott, Daadener Land Home History Working Group (ed.): Lithographs and colored postcards of the Daadener Land . Cardamina-Verlag, Plaidt, 2nd edition 2011, ISBN 978-3-938649-83-1 .
- Daniel Schneider: The development of denominations in the county of Sayn in plan , in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 58 (2015), pp. 74-80.
- Gerhard Beck: Herdorf and the struggle for communal independence. The disputes between Herdorf and Daaden over a period of 80 years (1875–1955). Self-published, September 2015.
- Local community Daaden on the website of the Verbandsgemeinde Daaden
- Brief portrait of Daaden on SWR television
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, communities, association communities ( help on this ).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate - regional data
- Siegener Urkundenbuch, Volume I, Siegen , 1887, p. 8, no. 7.
- On denominational development cf. Daniel Schneider: The development of denominations in the county of Sayn in plan, in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 58 (2015), pp. 74-80.
- The "Daadener Land" on http://www.daaden.de/
- Presentation of the local history on the pages of the Verbandsgemeinde Daaden
- Official municipality directory 2006 ( Memento from December 22, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) (= State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate [Hrsg.]: Statistical volumes . Volume 393 ). Bad Ems March 2006, p. 174 (PDF; 2.6 MB). Info: An up-to-date directory ( 2016 ) is available, but in the section "Territorial changes - Territorial administrative reform" it does not give any population figures.
- Message on the website of the Daaden-Herdorf Association
- report at www.ak-kurier.de from March 7, 2017
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: City Council Election 2019 Daaden. Retrieved November 11, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Municipal elections 2014, city and municipal council elections.
- The Regional Officer for Rhineland-Palatinate: Local elections 2014, election of the honorary local and city mayors
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Direct elections 2019. Accessed on November 11, 2019 (see Daaden-Herdorf, Verbandsgemeinde, first line of results).
- "The Daaden Local History Museum provides surprising insights"
- On the development of the "Steinches Mühle", the Daadener Mühle and the Biersdorfer Mühle in Daaden cf. Daniel Schneider: The milling industry in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen. In: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 59. 2016, pp. 219–237.
- The references to culture are taken from the book "Westerwald" by Hermann-Josef Roth (DuMont, Cologne, 1981).