|coat of arms||Germany map|
|County :||Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
|Association municipality :||Betzdorf-Gebhardshain|
|Height :||211 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||9.57 km 2|
|Residents:||10,064 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||1052 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||57518|
|Area code :||02741|
|License plate :||AK|
|Community key :||07 1 32 006|
|City structure:||4 districts|
|Association administration address:||Hellerstraße 2
|City Mayor :||Benjamin Geldsetzer ( SPD )|
|Location of the town of Betzdorf in the Altenkirchen district (Westerwald)|
Betzdorf is a town in the Altenkirchen district in the northern part of Rhineland-Palatinate . It is the administrative seat of the Betzdorf-Gebhardshain community . Betzdorf is a railway town and designated as a medium-sized center according to state planning .
The city of Betzdorf is located about 20 km southwest of Siegen in a basin between Westerwald in the south and Siegerland in the north. Here the river Heller flows into the Sieg . Betzdorf is the largest city in the Altenkirchen district.
The districts of Bruche, Dauersberg and Struthof belong to the city .
The growth of the initially not very important place only began with the construction of the Cologne-Deutz / Gießen railway line with a branch line from Betzdorf to Siegen , making Betzdorf a hub and railway town with a marshalling yard for the surrounding iron ore mines . In 1882, the neo-Gothic St. Ignatius Church was completed for the growing Catholic community .
On April 1, 1886, the municipalities of Betzdorf, Alsdorf (Westerwald) , Grünebach , Sassenroth , Dauersberg , Scheuerfeld , Bruche and Wallmenroth separated from the mayor's office in Kirchen (Sieg) . The municipality of Bruche was incorporated into Betzdorf in 1907. In 1935 the mayor's offices were renamed to offices. Its importance as a railway junction resulted in heavy air raids during World War II , which destroyed two thirds of the city by bombs. On March 12, 1945, 61 people were killed in an air raid. This attack was carried out by the US 8th Air Force using B-17 bombers.
After the Allied forces broke out of the Remagen bridgehead at the end of March 1945, units of the First United States Army came across the Sieg near Betzdorf in April 1945 and formed a bridgehead in the Hohenbetzdorf-Molzberg area. In this area fierce fighting developed between the American and German divisions, in the course of which many soldiers on both sides lost their lives. The battles around Betzdorf lasted until April 6, 1945. The opponents were the 8th and 78th Infantry Divisions on the American side and the 59th Infantry Division on the German side.
1953 Betzdorf became titular town . In the following years, almost all Betzdorf railway systems and facilities, such as the repair shop , the railway depot , the Federal Railroad Operations Office, the marshalling yard , the railway maintenance office, the telecommunications maintenance department, the station administration and goods handling , were shut down, so that Betzdorf is now only used for passenger transport is a small railway junction .
On June 7, 1969, the previously independent community of Dauersberg was incorporated into Betzdorf.
As a result of the administrative reform in Rhineland-Palatinate , the Betzdorf office finally became the Betzdorf Association with its administrative headquarters in the city of Betzdorf, which was merged into the Betzdorf-Gebhardshain Association on January 1, 2017.
The development of the population of Betzdorf in relation to today's urban area; the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
According to the 2011 census , 23.4% of the population were Protestant , 47.2% Roman Catholic and 29.4% were non-denominational , belonged to another religious community or did not provide any information. The number of Protestants and Catholics has fallen since then. At the end of April 2020, Betzdorf had 10,209 inhabitants, 3,991 (39.1 percent) Catholics , 2,109 (21.1 percent) Protestants and 39.8% either had another religion or no religion at all.
The city council in Betzdorf consists of 28 council members, who were elected in a personalized proportional representation in the local elections on May 26, 2019 , and the honorary city mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the city council:
Mayor of the Betzdorf-Gebhardshain community is Bernd Brato ( SPD ). He came in November 2006 through direct elections to the two offices of city mayor for the city of Betzdorf, as well as mayor for the municipality, which he took up in January 2007. He resigned from his position on May 26, 2019. In the local elections that followed, Benjamin Geldsetzer (also SPD) was elected to the office of mayor with 57.6%.
coat of arms
|Blazon : "Split, on the left in black a silver sloping bar, covered with three black boar heads, on the right in red a golden lion with a red tongue looking at the viewer."|
|Reasons for the coat of arms: The lion comes from the coat of arms of the Counts of Sayn and the boar heads from that of the Lords of Freusburg.|
The city of Betzdorf maintains partnerships with the cities
- Decize in France , since 1965, and
- Ross-on-Wye in England , County of Herefordshire , since 1985th
- Denizli in Turkey has had a partnership with the Verbandsgemeinde Betzdorf since 1966.
Culture and sights
The largest regular events are the shooting festival in early September, the Betzdorf shooting club , the spring festival in May, the Barbara festival in October and the Betzdorf Christmas market on the second weekend of Advent. In addition, numerous events by the Betzdorf associations (concerts, theater, carnival, etc.) take place throughout the year.
Economy and Infrastructure
- RE 9 of the DB Regio ( Aachen - Düren - Cologne - Siegburg / Bonn - Au (Sieg) - Wissen (Sieg) - Betzdorf (Sieg) - Siegen ) on the victory route ,
- RB 90 and RB 93 ( 3LänderBahn ) of the Hessian State Railway (HLB) ( Limburg (Lahn) - Westerburg - Nistertal-Bad Marienberg - Hachenburg - Altenkirchen - Au (Sieg) - Betzdorf (Sieg) - Siegen - Kreuztal / Bad Berleburg ) on the Oberwesterwald- , Westerwald-Sieg- and Rothaar-Bahn ,
- RB 96 also of HLB (Betzdorf (Sieg) - Herdorf - Neunkirchen - Burbach - Hickengrund - Haiger - Dillenburg ) on the Hellertalbahn as well as to
- RB 97 of the Westerwaldbahn GmbH (Betzdorf (Sieg) - Daaden ) on the Daadetalbahn .
Alternatively, various bus lines run from the bus station in the center of the city by four transport companies that connect neighboring communities and other districts. Most trips serve as school trips, which is why they mainly only run in the morning and early noon. Since the state border with North Rhine-Westphalia is not far away, communities and districts are inevitably also served there.
Betzdorf is about 20 kilometers off the A 45 on the federal highway 62 . The nearest regional airport is Siegerland Airport ; the next international airports Cologne / Bonn and Frankfurt can be reached by train. The Betzdorf-Kirchen airfield is 4 kilometers northwest of Betzdorf.
In Betzdorf there are two primary schools , the Bertha-von-Suttner Realschule plus , the Integrated Comprehensive School Geschwister Scholl Betzdorf-Kirchen, the Freiherr-vom-Stein-Gymnasium as well as a vocational school , a library and an adult education center .
Leisure and sports facilities
In addition to several smaller sports fields, there is the Eurogreen stadium “Auf dem Bühl” in Betzdorf , which serves as the home stadium of SG 06 Betzdorf and is owned by the city, as well as the Molzberg leisure sports facility, which belongs to the Betzdorf-Gebhardshain community and the Kirchen community . The Molzberg leisure pool is also operated by the two municipalities .
electric energy supply
A few kilometers south of the city center there is a substation named after the nearby district of Dauersberg , which contains switchgear for 380, 220 and 110 kV. It is one of the largest nodes in the German energy supply network , where a large part of the high-voltage lines connecting the Rhine-Ruhr and Rhine-Main metropolitan regions converge.
see also: → Dauersberg substation
Betzdorf owned the largest Easter egg in Germany, which was located at the entrance to the village on the B 62 (coming from Kirchen). It came to a height of 9.27 m and a diameter of 5.71 m. The Easter egg was created in spring 2008 as part of the “City Talks Betzdorf”. Since it was damaged several times by vandals, it was finally wrapped in a large jute cloth until it was finally removed in October 2011.
sons and daughters of the town
- Joseph Fröbes (1866–1947), priest, philosopher and psychologist
- Peter Günther (1882–1918), world champion in cycling in 1911
- Fritz Pullig (1887–1963), aviation pioneer
- Robert Götz (1892–1978), composer of folk songs (we move out of gray city walls through woods and fields; their tents were on the other side of the valley)
- Heinz Vonhoff (1922–1998), elementary school teacher, religion teacher and writer
- Helmut Steinbach (1929–2019), conductor
- Erhard Rittershaus (1931–2006), manager and politician
- Hermann-Josef Burbach (1935–2013), Catholic broadcasting officer in WDR and member of the broadcasting council
- Norbert Heinen (* 1936), District Administrator
- Brigitte Wormbs (* 1937), garden architect and author
- Heribert Schwan (* 1944), writer and author of numerous television documentaries
- Stefan Baldus (* 1949), politician
- Gerhard Mester (* 1956), caricaturist
- Matthias Deutschmann (* 1958), cabaret artist
- Jürgen Alzen (* 1962 in Kirchen), automobile racing driver
- Uwe Alzen (* 1967 in Kirchen), automobile racing driver
- Katharina Schultens (* 1980 in Kirchen), writer
Personalities who have worked on site
- Karl Hartmann (1857-1910); Dialect poet and boarding school founder
- Mariano Freiherr von Droste zu Hülshoff (1907–1997), head forester, bombed out in the Betzdorf Forestry Office on March 12, 1945
- City of Betzdorf on the official website of the Verbandsgemeinde Betzdorf-Gebhardshain
- Internet portal on the city and association of Betzdorf-Gebhardshain and its history
- Betzdorf History e. V.
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, municipalities, association communities ( help on this ).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate - regional data
- Siegerländer Heimatkalender 1977, p. 10, Verlag für Heimatliteratur
- Official municipality directory (= State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate [Hrsg.]: Statistical volumes . Volume 407 ). Bad Ems February 2016, p. 159 (PDF; 2.8 MB).
- City of Betzdorf Religion , 2011 census
- Betzdorf Municipal Statistics 2019 , accessed on June 3, 2020
- Results of City Council Betzdorf 2019 , accessed on August 7, 2019
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Municipal elections 2014, city and municipal council elections
- Brato is leaving one of his offices. In: Siegener newspaper. January 16, 2019, accessed May 30, 2019 .
- Andreas Neuser: 57.6 percent: Benjamin Geldsetzer mayor of Betzdorf. In: Rhein Zeitung. May 27, 2019, accessed May 30, 2019 .
- See Thomas Kapielski : time container. Small festive order. Merve, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-88396-270-2 , p. 64.
- Andreas Neuser: Demolished: Betzdorfer egg is history. In: Rhein-Zeitung , October 31, 2011
- Father Hermann-Josef Burbach died ( Memento from August 16, 2013 in the web archive archive.today )