|coat of arms||Germany map|
|County :||Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
|Association municipality :||Betzdorf-Gebhardshain|
|Height :||450 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||8.15 km 2|
|Residents:||1834 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||225 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||57578|
|Area code :||02747|
|License plate :||AK|
|Community key :||07 1 32 025|
|LOCODE :||DE EKT|
|Association administration address:||Hellerstraße 2
|Local Mayor :||Peter Schwan (FWG)|
|Location of the local community Elkenroth in the district of Altenkirchen (Westerwald)|
The community is located in the Westerwald between Betzdorf and Hachenburg on the northern edge of the "Neunkhausen Plateau". The highest elevation in the district is the Hasselichskopf (508 m above sea level). Neighboring communities are Dickendorf and Kausen in the north-west, Weitefeld in the east, Neunkhausen in the south-east, Nauroth in the south and Rosenheim in the south-west.
Until the middle of the 17th century, Elkenroth belonged to the county of Sayn . After the introduction of the Reformation in the county of Sayn, the inhabitants were first Lutheran and later reformed . In 1611 there is evidence of a mill in Elkenroth. After the division of the County of Sayn in the 17th century, Elkenroth was part of the County of Sayn-Altenkirchen .
Due to the agreements made at the Congress of Vienna (1815), the region was ceded to the Kingdom of Prussia . Under the Prussian administration, Elkenroth was assigned to the mayor's office in Gebhardshain in the newly established Altenkirchen district ( Koblenz district ), which belonged to the Rhine province from 1822 onwards.
Elkenroth has been part of Rhineland-Palatinate since the state was founded .
- Population development
The development of the population of Elkenroth, the values from 1871 to 1987 are based on censuses:
The local council in Elkenroth consists of 16 council members, who were elected in a personalized proportional representation in the local elections on May 26, 2019 , and the honorary local mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the municipal council:
|2009||by majority vote||16 seats|
- WGH = voter group Heidrich (open list with "Citizens for Elkenroth")
- WGA = voter group Arndt - citizens for Elkenroth
- WGK = voter group Krombach
Local mayor of Elkenroth is Peter Schwan (FWG). In the direct election on May 26, 2019, he was re-elected with 74.16% of the vote.
coat of arms
|Blazon : "Under the head of the shield, dividedby a red-silver pewter cut ,in red, 3 obliquely left silver diamonds , accompanied at the top by a silver rose with a golden lug ."|
|Foundation of the coat of arms: The von Gevertzhagen family, first mentioned in a document in 1220, later shows the sideline "Gevertzhagen von Luitgenrode", which owned the so-called "Hildburg" between Elkenroth and Dickendorf . For them, the pewter cut stands in the head of the shield. The von Gevertzhagen family “von Gebhardsayn gen. Von Lützerath” has three white diamonds lined up diagonally right next to each other in red. This coat of arms can still be found today in a window of the Elkenroth church with an oblique left-hand arrangement of the diamonds. Elkenroth revered as a church and local patron the St. Elizabeth . Their attribute , a rose, is also in the lower part of the shield. The coat of arms of the local community Elkenroth was introduced in 1987.|
The Elkenrother Weiher is an artificially created pond in the "Weidenbruch" nature reserve in the Elkenroth district. Its origins go back to several fish ponds laid out one behind the other in the Middle Ages on the upper reaches of the Elbbach between Elkenroth and Weitefeld. Today there is an educational trail of the fishing club, which they laid out around the pond a few years ago. The built fisherman's hut not only serves the local fishing club, but also invites you to take a break in the local recreation area. The Elkenrother "Backhaus" is also a sight that the local community of Elkenroth has to offer. In addition, the local community of Elkenroth has a DFB mini football pitch. The centrifugal wheels of the former sand mill on Weitefelder Straße are set up in Steinbornpark.
The 300 m long bridge spanning the Elbbachtal near Elkenroth is one of the largest state road bridges in Rhineland-Palatinate.
- Konrad Fuchs: History of the Gebhardshain Association. 1815-1970 . Verlag Hermann Schmidt, Mainz 1982, ISBN 3-87439-082-9 .
- Daniel Schneider: The mill trade in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen , in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 59 (2016), pp. 219–237.
- Daniel Schneider: The development of denominations in the county of Sayn in plan , in: Heimat-Jahrbuch des Kreis Altenkirchen 58 (2015), pp. 74-80.
- Heinrich W. Arndt: ELKENROTH, chronicle of my hometown, 2009, published by the local community of Elkenroth; ISBN 978-3-00-028958-3
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, municipalities, association communities ( help on this ).
- Daniel Schneider: The development of denominations in the county of Sayn in the ground plan, pp. 74-80.
- Daniel Schneider: The milling industry in the county of Sayn-Altenkirchen, p. 222, 229.
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate - regional data
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Elkenroth municipal council election 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Elkenroth municipal council election 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Local council election 2009 Elkenroth. Retrieved November 15, 2019 .
- Citizens for Elkenroth: Citizens for Elkenroth. Retrieved November 15, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: direct elections 2019. see Betzdorf-Gebhardshain, Verbandsgemeinde, sixth result line. Retrieved November 15, 2019 .