Taubertal cycle path
Path Lovely Taubertal - the classic
|overall length||101 km|
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
|Places along the way||Rothenburg ob der Tauber , Bad Mergentheim , Lauda-Königshofen , Tauberbischofsheim , Wertheim|
Rothenburg odT → Wertheim:
total ascent: 468 m
total gradient: 727 m
Pan-bike path ,
D-Route 9 ,
Radfernweg Romantic Road ,
Altmühltal bike path ,
Hohenlohe-Ostalb way ,
Tauber-Jagst bike path ,
Main-Tauber-Franconian wheel roller ,
Gaubahn bike path ,
Lovely Taubertal - the Sportive ,
Main Cycle Path
|ADFC certification||5 out of 5 stars|
Path Lovely Taubertal - the sporty one
|overall length||161 km|
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
|Places along the way||Wertheim , Rothenburg ob der Tauber|
Lovely Taubertal - the classic ,
Main-Tauber-Fränkischer Rad-Achter ,
D-Route 9 ,
Radfernweg Romantische Straße ,
The Taubertal Cycle Path , officially known as the Liebliches Taubertal - the classic , is a 101 km long cycle path in Tauberfranken . It connects Rothenburg ob der Tauber with Wertheim at the confluence of the Tauber in the Main . The entire length of the path runs through the Tauber valley and has only a few inclines. There are passenger stations at both ends and along the route.
The complementary cycle path Liebliches Taubertal - the sporty one leads 161 additional kilometers from Wertheim back to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
Since 2009 the Taubertal Cycle Path has been awarded 5 stars by the General German Bicycle Club. This highest award from the ADFC has only been given twice in Germany.
Profile and characteristics
The Taubertal cycle path was one of the first cycle paths in Germany. It has been expanded repeatedly since then. The cycle path is fully signposted, easy to use and without large traffic.
The landscape of the cycle path is shaped by the wooded Franconian hill country. A stone bar landscape is typical on the sides of the Taubertal and its side valleys . In the valley lowlands there are extensive fruit and wine-growing areas with small and large wine villages, numerous historical towns and cities, old mills, Romanesque churches and historical monasteries. Culturally significant cities along the way are Weikersheim , Bad Mergentheim and Tauberbischofsheim . The Bronnbach Abbey and Gamburg Castle are also on the route.
The course of the “Taubertal Cycle Path” ( The Classic ) and the complementary alternative route ( The Sportive ) can be viewed in OpenStreetMap .
Lovely Taubertal - the classic
The cycle path "Liebliches Taubertal - the classic" enables 101 km of cycling along the Taubertal. The routing of the signposted Taubertal Cycle Path from Rothenburg to Werbach is, with a few exceptions, identical to the Romantic Road cycle path. Three daily stages are recommended. Alternatively, the classic can also be extended to five daily stages with additional stops in Creglingen and Bad Mergentheim:
3rd day stage - Tauberbischofsheim to Wertheim
Lovely Taubertal - the sporty one
Parallel to the approx. 100 km long classic through the Taubertal, there is the 161 km long Liebliches Taubertal cycle path - the sporty one that leads over the heights of Tauberfranken from Wertheim back to Rothenburg. With a circular route, the route can be extended to a total of 260 km. Five additional daily stages are recommended:
1st stage of the day - Wertheim to Freudenberg
2nd day stage - Freudenberg to Külsheim
3rd day stage - Külsheim to Boxberg
4th stage of the day - Boxberg to Niederstetten
5th stage of the day - Niederstetten to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
The journey can be continued on a bicycle in both directions. From Wertheim on the Main cycle path . From Rothenburg either to the east over the Frankenhöhe on the Altmühltal cycle path , to the north-east on the Aischtal cycle path or to the south over the Romantic Road cycle path to Füssen or the Tauber-Jagst-Weg to the Jagst near Crailsheim and then further over the Kocher-Jagst- Bike path .
In several cities and towns, the Taubertal Cycle Path touches the Jakobsweg Main-Taubertal and the Panoramaweg Taubertal . In Tauberbischofsheim there is a connection to the Odenwald-Madonnen-Weg . In addition, there is a connection between Röttingen and Tauberrettersheim to the Gaubahn cycle path and to the Main-Tauber-Franconian cycle eight .
In 2012 the Main-Tauber-Kreis published a cycle path concept as a cycle traffic plan. The cycle path concept serves as an important basis for funding applications from the district and the municipalities. In the cycle path concept, the construction or expansion of several cycle paths in the side valleys of the Taubertal cycle path is suggested.
The Taubertal Railway with the sections Crailsheim – Königshofen , Königshofen – Lauda and Lauda – Wertheim serves as a means of transport for cycle tourism in the Taubertal. The bicycles is Monday to Friday from 9:00 pm and on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays all day for free.
Culture and sights
Lovely Taubertal - the classic
The following places and sights are on the Liebliches Taubertal Der Klassiker cycle path (101 km):
Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Creglingen
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- The medieval crime museum is the most important German legal museum and gives an insight into the legal events of the last 1000 years.
- St. Jacob's Church with Holy Blood reredos by Tilman Riemenschneider .
- City wall with battlements and towers, inner city wall around 1172, outer city wall around 1360–1388
- Romanesque church with a Riemenschneider altar
Creglingen - Weikersheim
The second section between Creglingen and Weikersheim (17 km) offers the following sights:
- medieval town center, town wall with towers, Brattenstein Castle
- Sundial path and wayside shrine
- Stone bridge by Balthasar Neumann - master builder of the Würzburg residence
- medieval old town
- Weikersheim Castle with a baroque garden with many statues, alchemy exhibition
- Tauberland village museum, forest museum, observatory and game reserve
Weikersheim - Bad Mergentheim
The third section between Weikersheim and the spa town of Bad Mergentheim (14 km) has the following features:
- Kneipp facility on the Tauber beach
- Public bookcase on Möhlerplatz
- Bad Mergentheim (health resort)
- historic city center, Teutonic Order Museum in the Teutonic Order Castle with castle park, Deutschmeistermuseum
- Münsterschatz, Ottmar-Mergenthaler memorial, Stuppacher Madonna, wine trail
- Spa park with a total area of 160,000 m², Kneipp facility in the spa park
- "Solymar" leisure pool and three outdoor pools
- Kneipp facilities in the spa gardens by the spa guest's house and in the Solymar leisure pool
- Wildlife Park Bad Mergentheim , on an area of around 35 hectares, various animal species native to Europe live
Bad Mergentheim - Tauberbischofsheim
- Bad Mergentheim
- medieval old town, local history museum, town fortifications, town church St. Jakobus from the 14th century with rich baroque furnishings, steam engine monument
- Outdoor terrace and indoor pool with sauna
- historic old town, market square at the town hall, town church St. Martin , Liobakirche , Bonifatiuskirche
- Kurmainzisches Schloss Tauberbischofsheim with Schlossplatz, Türmersturm and Tauberfränkisches Landscape Museum
- Olympic base Tauberbischofsheim the fencing club Tauberbischofsheim
- solar-heated Frankenbad , as well as an indoor pool with sauna and a Kneipp facility
Tauberbischofsheim - Wertheim
The fifth section finally leads from Tauberbischofsheim to Wertheim (28.5 km). The following sights and cultural features are located along the route:
- Bronnbach Monastery with monastery church and Romanesque-Gothic cloister, a former Cistercian abbey founded in 1151
- historical old town with city wall and many architectural monuments and a public bookcase
- Kittsteintor, collegiate church, court keeping (today town hall), angel fountain, Kilian's chapel, lady chapel, pointed tower
- Glass museum and county museum with Otto Modersohn cabinet in the old town hall
- Wertheim Castle , one of the oldest castle ruins in Baden-Württemberg.
- "In den Christwiesen" outdoor pool in the Besteheid district
Lovely Taubertal - the sporty one
The Liebliches Taubertal cycle path The classic can be continued on the additional stages of the Der Sportive cycle path (161 km). The following places and sights are on the additional route:
Wertheim - Freudenberg
The first section leads from Wertheim to Freudenberg (25 km) and has the following special features:
- Variant left bank of the Main
- Green word
- Moon field
- Variant right bank of the Main
- Kreuzwertheim Castle
- Ferry to the left bank of the Main to Mondfeld
- Village Proceedings
- Cherry ford
Freudenberg - Külsheim
The second section between Freudenberg and Külsheim (30 km) offers the following sights:
- Dürrhof with forest and forest house
- Ornate wayside shrines
- Classicist parish church from 1787
- Historic old town with numerous fountains ("Brunnenstadt") and more than 180 wayside shrines in and around the city
- Martinskirche from Romanesque times (around 1200), late Gothic Katharinenkapelle from 1468
- Külsheim Castle , a medieval square castle from the 12th century
- Public bookcase and Kneipp facility
Külsheim - Boxberg
The third section between Külsheim and the spa town of Boxberg (36 km) has the following features:
- Esselbrunn farm
- Heckfelder See , from there on the Schüpfbachtal cycle path to Unterschüpf
- Fortified church from the 12th century
- Keep silent
Boxberg - Niederstetten
The fourth section leads from Boxberg to Niederstetten (37 km). The following sights and cultural features are located along the route:
- rose Garden
- Castle ruins
- Kurpfälzisches Amtshaus, today's town hall
- Kneipp facility
- Old and new Kilian's Church
- Steffeskirchle with church attendance
- City and sports park Schlosswiesen with Kneipp facility
Niederstetten - Rothenburg ob der Tauber
The fifth section finally leads from Niederstetten to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (33 km) and offers the following sights:
- Albert-Sammt-Zeppelin-Museum, Winepress and Wine-growing Museum, Mörike Memorial Room
- Historic old town with Ferkelmarkt fountain and town hall with Schimmelturm
Wild animal stream
- Fortified church complex with a walled cemetery from the High Middle Ages, village arrest cell in the gate tower from the 19th century
- Wolf book
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Historic old town with many half-timbered houses, city wall with battlements and wall towers, various museums
In 2009, the General German Bicycle Club (ADFC) awarded the Taubertal Cycle Path as the first Baden-Württemberg and second German long-distance cycle path with five stars. The year before, the adjoining Main-Radweg was the first to receive this award.
The main variant of the Taubertal Cycle Path - the "classic" - was again confirmed in 2012 and 2016 with the highest rating of "5 stars" by the ADFC and has therefore been awarded this highest award since 2009 without interruption.
Refreshment station in Röttingen
Car-free Sunday in Schäftersheim
Car-free Sunday between Schäftersheim and Tauberrettersheim
Refreshment station in Weikersheim
Cycle path churches
Ultramarathon Taubertal 100
The Taubertal 100 ultramarathon has been taking place every year on the first weekend in October since 2014 along the Taubertal Cycle Path . Four different distances (100 miles; 100, 71 and 50 kilometers) each start in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Most of the running route is on the Taubertal Cycle Path.
Travel guides and maps
- Bikeline: Lovely Taubertal: The classic - the sporty one: Between Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Wertheim . Esterbauer, Rodingersdorf 2013, ISBN 978-3-85000-463-3 .
- Publicpress: Cycling map of the Liebliches Taubertal cycle path - Leporello folding: With excursion destinations, refreshment and leisure tips, weatherproof, tearproof, wipeable, GPS-accurate. 1: 50000. Map - Folded Map . Publicpress-Verlag, Geseke 2007, ISBN 978-3-89920-325-7 .
Non-fiction and specialist books, directories
- Tourist association Liebliches Taubertal (publisher): Cycle paths churches . Brochure. 12 pages. District Office Main-Tauber-Kreis, Tauberbischofsheim.
Fairy tales and legends
- Hans Werner Siegel (Ed.), Hugo Pahl: Between Day and Dark: Sagen u. Stories from the Taubergrund . Association of Tauberfränkische Heimatfreunde e. V., Tauberbischofsheim 1982.
- Reiner Röber: Murder in the lovely Taubertal: a Tauberfrank crime thriller . TRIGA - Der Verlag Gerlinde Heß, Gründau-Rothenbergen 2013, ISBN 978-3-89774-873-6 .
- Südwestrundfunk : Mobile in Tauberbischofsheim. Cycling in the Taubertal . (Video, 3:31 min). April 22nd, 2016. An SWR report about the Taubertal cycle path and the mountain bike trails around Tauberbischofsheim.
- Touristikgemeinschaft Liebliches Taubertal
- Cycling guide for the Taubertal cycle path
- Taubertal Cycle Path in OpenStreetMap
- BicycleRoutes & Tours: Lovely Taubertal - the classic , with map, GPS download, altitude profile, sights and accommodations
- Miltenberg (Main) - Rothenburg (Tauber) - Leutershausen by bike (map to download, covers the Taubertal cycle path from Tauberbischofsheim to Rothenburg)
- Cycle Path Liebliches Taubertal The Classic ( Memento of the original from June 5, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , ADFC tour portal
- Touristikgemeinschaft Liebliches Taubertal: Cycling - The classic online at www.liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Touristikgemeinschaft Liebliches Taubertal: Five stars for the "classic" ( memento of the original from September 12, 2012 in the web archive archive.today ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: Tauber newspaper . Online at www.swp.de. October 31, 2009. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ADFC: Cycle Route Liebliches Taubertal confirms five quality stars . Online at www.adfc.de. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Touristikgemeinschaft Liebliches Taubertal: Cycling - The Sportive Online at www.liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- OpenStreetMap: Cycle Path Liebliches Taubertal - "The Classic"
- OpenStreetMap: Cycle Path Liebliches Taubertal - "The Sportive"
- Microsoft Word - Radwegekonzept.doc - 2177 965 1st PDF. (PDF) In: main-tauber-kreis.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- Cycle trains and buses - Liebliches Taubertal Tourist Association. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved April 19, 2020 .
- 1st day stage - Rothenburg odT to Weikersheim - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- 2nd day stage - Weikersheim via Bad Mergentheim to Tauberbischofsheim - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- Franconian news: Igersheim. BNW Ingrid Kaufmann-Kreußer presents the activities. "A valuable seam" . June 30, 2018. Online at www.fnweb.de. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Lovely Taubertal: water treading facilities . Online at www.liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- 3rd day stage - Tauberbischofsheim to Wertheim - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- City of Wertheim: Book cell offers reading pleasure. The telephone booth is now a mini library . July 6, 2018. Online at www.wertheim.de. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- 1st day stage - Wertheim to Freudenberg - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- Fränkische Nachrichten: New offer. The "open bookcase" in the tourism and culture office is first of all an attempt to sound out the acceptance among the citizens. The principle is: take, read, give . February 8, 2011. Online at www.fnweb.de. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- 2nd day stage - Freudenberg to Külsheim - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- 3rd day stage - Külsheim to Boxberg - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- Franconian news: Königheim. Book cell In the Münzgasse in Königheim, bookworms can now find enough material to browse through. An exchange place for good reading material . August 3, 2018. Online at www.fnweb.de. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- 4th stage of the day - Boxberg to Niederstetten - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- 5th day stage - Boxberg to Niederstetten - Liebliches Taubertal tourist office. In: liebliches-taubertal.de. Retrieved August 3, 2020 .
- Evangelical regional church in Baden: cycle path churches in the lovely Taubertal . Online at www.ekiba.de. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- Church district Wertheim: Church and Tourism ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Online at kirchenbez-wertheim.de. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- Tourism Association Liebliches Taubertal (Ed.): Cycle Path Churches . Brochure. 12 pages. District Office Main-Tauber-Kreis, Tauberbischofsheim.
- Taubertal 100: Taubertal 100 home page . Online at www.taubertal100.de. Retrieved October 7, 2018.
- Taubertal 100: Results of the 1st Taubertal 100 in 2014 . Online at www.taubertal100.de. Retrieved October 7, 2018.