|coat of arms||Germany map|
|Association municipality :||Upper Glantal|
|Height :||263 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||13.07 km 2|
|Residents:||5134 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||393 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||66914|
|Area code :||06373|
|License plate :||KUS|
|Community key :||07 3 36 102|
|LOCODE :||DE WAO|
|Community structure:||Main town and 2 sub-towns|
|Association administration address:||Rathausstrasse 8
|Local Mayor :||Jürgen Schneider ( SPD )|
|Location of the local community Waldmohr in the district of Kusel|
Waldmohr is a municipality in the Verbandsgemeinde Oberes Glantal in the Kusel district in Rhineland-Palatinate . According to state planning, it is designated as a basic center. Until January 1, 2017, it was the seat of the administration of the then disbanded Verbandsgemeinde Waldmohr .
Waldmohr is located on the northern edge of the West Palatinate moorland , directly on the Saarland- Rhineland-Palatinate border, about 7 km north of Homburg . The Glan flows through the middle of the settlement area and was straightened in 1933 at the instigation of the municipality.
The municipality of Waldmohr includes the districts of Eichelscheiderhof and the hamlet of Waldziegelhütte, first mentioned in 1763 as Hengstwalder Ziegelhütte , as well as the residential areas at Autobahnrasthaus Waldmohr, Bahnhaus 2910, Bolsterhof, Erlenhof, Mohrmühle, Ohlbühlerhof and Waldhaus Am Fuchsberg.
Waldmohr is mentioned for the first time in 830 in the Lorsch Codex as "villa Moraha" , ie village on the swamp stream. In 1449 the place came under the rule of the dukes of Pfalz-Zweibrücken and was subordinate to them until the duchy perished in the aftermath of the French Revolution in 1794. In 1798, under French rule, Waldmohr became the capital of the canton of the same name in the Saar department . This is how the history of the place as the administrative center begins. After the end of the French occupation, the Palatinate comes to the Rhine district in the Kingdom of Bavaria , while Waldmohr remains the canton capital for 57 villages between Kirkel and Glan-Münchweiler . It only lost this position after the separation of the Saar area (later called Saarland) , after the First World War , during which the Homburg district office was largely transferred to the Saar area. In 1920 the place is therefore subordinated to the district office of Kusel and seat of a district office branch. In 1946 it was incorporated into the newly created state of Rhineland-Palatinate and in 1971 received back part of its previous competencies as the seat of the Waldmohr community .
The municipal council in Waldmohr consists of 22 council members, who were elected in the local elections on May 26, 2019 in a personalized proportional representation, and the honorary local mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the municipal council:
Jürgen Schneider (SPD) became mayor of Waldmohr in 2014. In the direct election on May 26, 2019, he was confirmed in his office for a further five years with a share of the vote of 71.00%.
Schneider's predecessor was Friedrich Wunn (SPD).
Culture and sights
Waldmohr has a wide range of sports clubs. As a special feature, the handball club HSV Waldmohr belongs to the Saar handball association despite its location in Rhineland-Palatinate .
The Westricher Madrigalchor is a mixed choir that emerged from the singers' association in 1998.
The Musikverein Waldmohr e. V. was founded - in this form - on October 8, 1922. A “Musikverein Waldmohr” was officially mentioned for the first time at the fourth Palatinate Music Festival, which took place in January 1830 in Speyer . Today the Musikverein Waldmohr consists of a youth wind orchestra and a saxophone quartet.
The “Bruchwiesen Waldmohr” recreation area is located in the municipality, in whose area the Glan is being renatured.
See also: List of natural monuments in Waldmohr
Economy and Infrastructure
Today Waldmohr lives mainly from industrial and craft businesses. It is the largest industrial site in the Kusel district . The largest employers are a furniture factory (CS Schmal, around 590 employees, insolvent since 2018) and a mechanical engineering company that also deals in aluminum profiles (around 260 employees).
The public transport in the transport association Rhein-Neckar integrated (VRN). The Glantalbahn , which used to run through Waldmohr, has been closed in this area. Waldmohr and the neighboring village of Jägersburg owned a train station on it , the name of which had always caused a dispute due to its location. So he was in the Jägersburg district, but closer to the Waldmohr settlement area. Until 1905 it was called Jägersburg-Waldmohr , from 1905 to 1912 and from 1936 to 1947 Waldmohr-Jägersburg and from 1912 to 1921 Waldmohr and from 1921 to 1936 and from 1947 Jägersburg . This was given up for passenger traffic in the mid-1950s. In 1967 the Waldmohrer industrial area received a siding.
After passenger traffic in this area ended in 1981, the main line between Waldmohr and Schönenberg-Kübelberg was dismantled in 1989 . The driving force was the community of Waldmohr, as they wanted to tear down a railroad overpass at the entrance to the village to enable trucks to pass through. The Glan-Blies-Weg is now on the railway line from Waldmohr to Glan-Münchweiler . Even before the Glantalbahn was officially opened, the so-called Nordfeldbahn went into operation in 1903 , which ran from the said station through the middle of the Waldmohr buildings up the Glan to the Nordfeld pit . In this context, the Glantalbahn section Homburg – Jägersburg was unofficially put into operation with the opening of this freight railway. The aforementioned pit had to close due to a lack of profitability, which is why the railway line was also discontinued after only two years of operation. During this time, the so-called Landdebitbahnhof , which was responsible for the land sales of the mine, was located in the center of Waldmohr .
The next railway line is now the Mannheim – Saarbrücken connection, about six kilometers south of Waldmohr . Buses society regional bus Saar-Westpfalz connect Waldmohr with the stations Homburg , Bruchmühlbach-Miesau and Landstuhl on this route. The district town of Kusel and Glan-Münchweiler on the Kusel – Kaiserslautern railway line can also be reached directly by bus.
Waldmohr has a junction (and a rest stop with a motel ) on the federal motorway 6 ( Saarbrücken - Waidhaus ) - also known as " Via Carolina " - and is thus not only connected to national German road traffic, but also to France and the Czech Republic . In addition, the federal road 423 ( Mandelbachtal - Altenglan ) runs through the town and thus provides a regional connection in the Saar and Palatinate area. Landesstraße 354 , which has its starting point in Frohnhofen , as well as district roads 2 and 3 , which begin on the border with Saarland , also ends in Waldmohr .
The Rothenfeld School is a connected elementary and secondary school plus . Since the 2007/2008 school year, it has been the only school in Rhineland-Palatinate to offer full-day care during the holidays.
Sons and daughters of the church
- Theodor Berkmann (1802–1870), lawyer, politician and revolutionary
- Ludwig Ritterspacher (1883–1964), politician (CDU)
- Fritz Schwitzgebel (1888–1957), politician (NSDAP)
- Kurt Eichner (1898–1969), politician (NSDAP)
- Kurt Hans-Wolf Buchinger (* 1943), writer, presenter and musician
People who worked in the place
- Joseph Heine (1803–1877), a doctor, applied to Waldmohr as a canton doctor.
- Georg Friedrich Koch (1808–1874), botanist, physician and natural scientist, most recently as a doctor in Waldmohr
- Hippolyt August Schaufert (1834–1872), author, was from 1864 to 1866 police inspector in Waldmohr.
- Adolf Berdel (1860–1925), lawyer, was the royal chief magistrate in town.
- Robert Erbelding (1891–1965), painter and graphic artist
- Jakob Knissel (1905–1940), politician (NSDAP), was from January 1, 1938 district leader of Landstuhl-Waldmohr
- Shlomo Lewin (1911–1980) worked as a teacher in the town before the Second World War.
- Günther Fuchs (* 1947), soccer player, grew up in Waldmohr.
- Waldmohr parish
- Local community Waldmohr on the website of the Verbandsgemeinde Oberes Glantal
- Waldmohr at regionalgeschichte.net
- State Statistical Office of Rhineland-Palatinate - population status 2019, districts, communities, association communities ( help on this ).
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate - regional data
- State Statistical Office Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): Official directory of the municipalities and parts of the municipality. Status: January 2019 [ Version 2020 is available. ] . S. 156 (PDF; 3 MB).
- Municipal council elections 2019 - Waldmohr. State Returning Officer Rhineland-Palatinate, accessed on August 19, 2019 .
- Local community Waldmohr - Waldmohr community council. Retrieved August 19, 2019 .
- The Regional Officer Rhineland-Palatinate: Municipal elections 2014, city and municipal council elections
- Regina Wilhelm: Waldmohr municipal council shows a rare unanimity. Die Rheinpfalz, June 30, 2019, accessed on May 9, 2020 .
- The Regional Officer of Rhineland-Palatinate: direct elections 2019. see Oberes Glantal, Verbandsgemeinde, 21st line of results. Retrieved May 9, 2020 .
- "First stress test" passed with flying colors. Die Rheinpfalz, December 7, 2015, accessed on May 9, 2020 .