The Miss Universe competition is a beauty competition that has been carried out since 1952 , the winner of which is Miss Universe for one year . It was founded by the US textile company Pacific Mills to compete with Miss World .
The competition came into being after Yolande Betbeze refused to pose in a bathing suit for photographers for reasons of chasteness after her Miss America freestyle in 1951, as intended by the organizers and sponsors. One of the main sponsors, the swimwear manufacturer Catalina, which belongs to the Pacific Mills group, then launched two of its own competitions, in addition to the Miss USA election, namely the Miss Universe, in which the most beautiful woman in the world was to be determined.
The first choice for Miss Universe took place in Fontana ( California ) in 1952 , with the seventeen-year-old Armi Kuusela from Finland . By 1958, however, the title was dated the following year, so officially Kuusela was Miss Universe 1953. In 1955 the competition was broadcast on television for the first time.
The competition took place in California until 1959, and then in Miami Beach , Florida from 1959 to 1971 . In 1972 the first election outside of the United States took place at the election site of Dorado in Puerto Rico . The following year, Athens was the only Miss Universe election on European soil to date. As a result, the venue changed annually from country to country; some cities have often come to the train.
In 1996, Donald Trump bought the contest from ITT Corporation . In 1998 the headquarters of the organizer Miss Universe Organization were relocated from Los Angeles to New York City . CBS , which had televised the show since 1960, did so until 2002. In 2003, NBC acquired the broadcast rights to the competition.
In June 2015, NBC canceled all business relationships with Trump and the Miss Universe Organization in response to Trump's statements about illegal immigrants crossing the border from Mexico. In September 2015, Trump bought NBC's 50% stake in the company, making it the sole owner of the company. Three days later he sold the competition to the William Morris Agency and the International Management Group . After the change of ownership, Fox and Azteca América received the broadcasting rights in October 2015. The current president of the Miss Universe Organization is Paula Shugart , who has held this position since 1997.
List of winners
Titles with the same name 1926–1935
Two precursors of the same name existed three decades earlier:
"International Pageant of Pulchritude" in Galveston
The first competition was launched in 1920 by local businesspeople in the Texan coastal town of Galveston to attract tourists. It was initially a national bathing suit competition (Annual Bathing Girl Revue) in competition with Miss America , which was chosen in Atlantic City . The winner of Galveston received the title Miss Sunshine (according to the sash label).
It was not until 1926 that the event was also referred to as the International Pageant of Pulchritude and given the title Miss Universe . The first foreigners to take part were one from Mexico and one from Winnipeg (Canada). The first non-American winner of the Miss Universe title was Lisl Goldarbeiter from Austria in 1929. However, more than three-quarters of the candidates still came from the United States.
|1926||17th of May||Catherine Moylan||Dallas, Texas , USA A||37 from the USA and 2 foreign women|
|1927||23. May||Dorothy Britton||United States||29 from the USA and 8 foreign women|
|1928||June 4th||Ella Van Hueson||United States||32 from the USA and 10 foreign women|
|1929||June 11th||Lisl gold worker||Austria||27 from the USA and 9 foreign women|
|1930||5th of August||Dorothy Dell Goff||United States||32 from the USA and 7 foreign women|
|1931||June 16||Netta Duchâteau||Belgium||28 from the USA and 8 foreign women|
“Concours international de beauté” in Europe and South America
From 1930 there was also a Concours international de beauté , at which the title Miss Universe (or French Miss Univers ) was awarded. This competition took place outside the USA at irregular intervals : 1930 in Rio de Janeiro ( Brazil ), 1932 in Spa ( Belgium ), 1935 during the world exhibition in Brussels (Belgium).
|year||date||Winner||country||Place of choice||Applications|
|1930||October 13th||Yolanda Pereira||Brazil||Rio de Janeiro , Brazil||26th|
|1931||not carried out B|
|1932||July 31||Keriman Halis||Turkey||Spa , Belgium||28|
|1933-34||not carried out|
|1935||September 29th||Charlotte Wassef||Egypt||Brussels , Belgium||28 (30) C.|
Not to be confused with the beauty competition is a title of the same name in bodybuilding , where it is awarded in various categories by the competing associations NABBA and NABBA International Inc.
- Miss Universe
- Miss Universe competitions in Galveston near Pageantopolis ( Memento from March 28, 2010 in the Internet Archive ).
- Beauty Contest 1930 (album) at brazilpostcard.com ( Memento from October 14, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Prestigious Beauty Pageant: Four Big Ships Dominate International Beauty Pageants . November 18, 2013. Archived from the original on December 2013. Retrieved June 2014.
- Miss USA Olivia Culpo is Miss Universe 2012! . December 2012. Accessed January 2016.
- Jonathan Foreman: Mistress of the Universe . In: New York Post , January 1999. Retrieved February 2011.
- Cynthia Littleton, Cynthia Littleton: WME / IMG Acquires Miss Universe Organization From Donald Trump . September 14, 2015.
- Jim Rutenberg: Three Beauty Pageants Leaving CBS for NBC . In: The New York Times , June 2002. Retrieved October 2013.
- Kate Stanhope: NBC Cuts Ties With Donald Trump Over "Derogatory Statements," Pulls Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants . In: The Hollywood Reporter . June 2015. Accessed June 2015.
- NBC Universal cuts ties with Donald Trump . In: CNN Money , June 2015.
- Trump Sells Miss Universe Organization to WME-IMG Talent Agency . In: The New York Times . September 15, 2015. Accessed February 2016.
- Jethro Nededog: Donald Trump sells the Miss Universe Organization . In: Business Insider . September 14, 2015. Accessed January 2016.
- Miss Universe and Miss USA Pageants to Air on Fox . In: TV Insider . Accessed January 2016.
- PAULA M. SHUGART . Miss Universe Organization. Archived from the original on July 2015. Retrieved June 2015.
- Miss Universe: Rhode Island cello player is the new Miss Universe on faz.net, December 20, 2012 (accessed December 20, 2012).
- "Miss Universe" 2013: Smile for Putin at spiegel online, November 9, 2013 (accessed November 9, 2013).
- 2015 MISS UNIVERSE® PAGEANT