The Golden Europe is the oldest German television award . It was awarded annually from 1968 to 2003 by the Saarland Broadcasting Corporation (SR). Only in 1989 and 2001 there were no awards. Since 1981 the gala has also been televised as a recording. With a few exceptions, the prize was always awarded in Saarbrücken .
The original sculpture "Golden Europe" from 1968 is the work of the sculptor Herbert Strässer .
The award, which goes back to a personal idea by artistic director Franz Mai , was originally created with the aim of supporting German artists and producers with their music against competition from the USA and England . Therefore, in the early years only German-language hits and their interpreters were awarded. The moderator Dieter Thomas Heck contributed significantly to the establishment of the television award. When in 1979 the management of Saarländischer Rundfunk decided to also award foreign artists the Golden Europe, Heck turned his back on the project and launched the Golden Tuning Fork . In later years, the Golden Europe was also awarded in other areas such as comedy, entertainment, politics, sports or drama.
Prize winners of the Golden Europe.
- 2003 from Bremen as part of the Festival of German Schlager
- Jeanette Biedermann received the special award of the SR 1 Europawelle
- Bro'Sis as a newcomer (national)
- Sarah Connor as Artist of the Year (national)
- DoRo's video producers received a special award
- Josh Groban as Discovery of the Year
- Patricia Kaas as Artist of the Year (international)
- Michael Kunze for the musical Elisabeth
- Reinhard Mey for his life's work
- Nicole for 20 years of success
- Uwe Seeler on behalf of the German national soccer team
- Shakira as shooting star of the year
- Jutta Speidel
- Fritz Wepper
In 2001 the Golden Europe was not awarded. In the opinion of the SR leadership, the sharp drop in quotas for the program from the previous year did not justify the high production costs.
- a-ha for the comeback of the year
- Anastacia as artist of the year
- ATC as Newcomer of the Year
- Ayman received the special award of the SR 1 Europawelle
- Franz Beckenbauer for his efforts towards the 2006 World Cup
- Iris Berben received the special award from Gala magazine
- Andrea Bocelli in the field of classical music
- DJ Ötzi as chart breaker of the year
- Really as a group of the year
- Bryan Ferry for his life's work (international)
- Hans Klok as entertainer of the year
- Udo Lindenberg for his life's work (national)
- Frank Nimsgern as the best young artist
- 1996 from Innsbruck
- 1995 from Bolzano
- 1994 from Budapest
In 1989 the Golden Europe was not awarded. The reason was the rescheduling of the event. Until 1988 the Golden Europe took place in autumn, from 1990 it took place in spring. Because the time gap between the last autumn broadcast in 1989 and the first spring broadcast in 1990 would have been very short, the broadcast was canceled once.
- 1969 from Wiesbaden as part of the local film ball
- 1968 from Wiesbaden as part of the local film ball