Calendar overview 1690
|Battle of the Boyne , William of Orange defeats the army of James II and ends the Jacobite revolt .|
Johann Wilhelm becomes
Elector of the Electoral Palatinate .
Denis Papin develops
a steam engine .
|1690 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1138/39 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1682/83 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1095/96 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2233/34 (southern Buddhism); 2232/33 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||73rd (74th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1052/53 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||4023/24 (2-3 October)|
|Islamic calendar||1101/02 (New Year 4th / 5th October)|
|Jewish calendar||5450/51 (September 3-4)|
|Coptic calendar||1406/07 (September 10/11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 2000/01 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 2001/02 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1746/47 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
War of the Palatinate Succession / King William's War
- July 1 : In the Palatinate War of Succession , a French army under François-Henri de Montmorency-Luxembourg defeats the allied Dutch and Germans in the Battle of Fleurus .
- July 10th : In the sea battle of Beachy Head , a numerically stronger French fleet defeats a force of Anglo-Dutch squadrons .
- August 18th : French troops win the battle of Staffarda against an army from Savoy . The duchy is subsequently occupied.
- September 12 : After the death of Philipp Wilhelm , his eldest son Johann Wilhelm becomes the new Elector of the Palatinate .
- 16th bis 24. October : The Battle of Quebec City during King William's War in the North American colonies of New England and New France ends with a French victory.
- July 11 : In Ireland , during the Jacobite uprising, William of Orange's Protestant army defeats James II's Catholic army at the Battle of the Boyne .
- August 7th to September: The first siege of the Jacobite- held city of Limerick has to be broken off unsuccessfully by the army of William of Orange.
- August 24th : Job Charnock opens a branch of the British East India Company on the banks of the Hugli River . The city of Calcutta emerged from the settlement .
North American colonies
- A law comes into effect in South Carolina that details the punishment of slaves. The law allows slave owners, etc. a. to whip and mutilate insubordinate slaves, and under certain conditions to kill them.
- January 16 : German monetary history before 1871 / Saxon coin history : Electoral Saxony and the Duchy of Braunschweig-Lüneburg contractually adopt the Leipzig base established by Kurbrandenburg in 1687 as the base for silver coins .
- February 3 : The first paper money in America comes into circulation in the British colony of Massachusetts .
- September 25th : The press flourished very briefly in the British colonies in America. The newspaper Publick Occurrences Both Foreign and Domestick appears for the first time and for the last time because it is immediately banned by the British authorities in New England .
- December 10 : With the issue of letters of credit ("bills of credit") by the colony of Massachusetts , the first currency is created on the American continent.
- First documentary mention of the Ellingen Castle Brewery .
science and technology
- The French mathematician Denis Papin , professor at the University of Marburg , reports on a steam engine he built . It's essentially a cylinder with a little water and a piston inside. When the cylinder is alternately heated and cooled from the outside, the piston moves and provides useful mechanical work . It was the first working heat engine .
- January 14th : Johann Christoph Denner develops the clarinet in Nuremberg .
- October 5th : The Accademia dell'Arcadia is founded in Rome by a group of poets .
First half of the year
- January 10 : Georg Friedrich von Amstel , Prussian major general and commander († 1757 )
- January 22nd : Nicolas Lancret , French painter († 1743 )
- January 23 : Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel , German composer and music theorist († 1749 )
- January 28 : Friedrich Bernhard Werner , draftsman († 1776 )
- January: Barbara Christine von Bernhold , imperial countess, mistress and confidante of Landgrave Karl von Hessen-Kassel and confidante, adviser and grand stewardess of his son and successor Wilhelm VIII († 1756 )
- February 1 : Francesco Maria Veracini , Italian violinist and composer († 1768 )
- February 3 : Tilmann Joseph Godesberg , German priest and official in the Archdiocese of Cologne († 1754 )
- February 21 : Christoph Stoltzenberg , German composer († 1764 )
- February 28 : Alexei of Russia , Tsarevich (Crown Prince) of Russia († 1718 )
- March 18 : Christian Goldbach , Prussian mathematician († 1764 )
- March 20 : Giuseppe Gonzaga , Duke of Guastalla († 1746 )
- April 9 : Johan Henrik Scheffel , Swedish portrait and miniature painter († 1781 )
- April 13 : Joachim Wagner , German organ builder († 1749 )
- April 25 : Gottlieb Muffat , Austrian organist and composer († 1770 )
- May 30th : Anton Sturm , German baroque and rococo sculptor († 1757 )
Second half of the year
- August 29 : Agostino Masucci , Italian painter († 1768 )
- October 14 : Leopold Philipp Karl Joseph von Arenberg , Duke of Arenberg († 1754 )
- October 14 : Olivio Sozzi , Sicilian painter († 1765 )
- October 29 : Martin Folkes , English mathematician and numismatist († 1754 )
- November 5 : Peter Adolf Boysen , German Protestant theologian, philosopher and historian († 1743 )
- November 5 : Friedrich Ludwig von Württemberg-Winnental , electoral Saxon cavalry general and imperial general field master († 1734 )
- November 10 : Christine Charlotte zu Solms-Braunfels , Princess of Hesse-Homburg († 1751 )
- November 17 : Noël-Nicolas Coypel , French painter († 1734 )
- November 23 : Ernst Johann von Biron , Duke of Courland († 1772 )
- November 24th (baptized): Carl Theodorus Pachelbel , American organist and composer († 1750 )
- November 28 : Carlo Lodoli , Italian architectural theorist , priest, mathematician and teacher († 1761 )
- November 30th : Andreas Charitius , German Lutheran theologian († 1741 )
- December 22 : Marie Gabrielle Éléonore de Bourbon-Condé , Abbess of Saint-Antoine-des-Champs († 1760 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Francesco Barsanti , Italian composer, oboist and flutist († 1770 )
- Charles Bridgeman , British horticultural architect († 1738 )
Born around 1690
- Anne Bonny , Irish rebel and pirate
First half of the year
- April 15 : Michael I. Apafi , Prince of Transylvania (* 1632 )
- April 16 : Gesina ter Borch , Dutch painter and draftsman (* 1633 )
- April 17th : Caspar Ziegler , German lawyer, poet and composer (* 1621 )
- April 18 : Charles V , titular duke of Lorraine (* 1643 )
- April 20 : Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria , Bavarian princess and wife of the heir to the French throne (* 1660 )
- April 25 : David Teniers the Younger , Flemish painter, draftsman and curator (* 1610 )
- May 6th : Philipp Matthäus , Dutch medic (* 1641 )
- May 15 : Eberhard Werner Happel , German polymath, translator, novelist and journalist (* 1647 )
- May 27 : Giovanni Lenzei , Italian composer (* 1626 )
Second half of the year
- August 3 : Gottfried Meisner , German Protestant theologian (* 1618 )
- August 29 : Christoph Hartmann Schacher , German lawyer (* 1633 )
- September 5 : Gottfried Welsch , German medic (* 1618 )
- September 12 : Philipp Wilhelm , Elector Palatinate (* 1615 )
- September 15 : Thomas Bartholin the Elder J. , Royal Archivist in Copenhagen. (* 1659 )
- October 7th : Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton , English nobleman (* 1663 )
- October 7th : Jacques Savary , French merchant and co-founder of commercial science (* 1622 )
- October 15 : Adam Frans van der Meulen , Flemish painter (* 1632 )
- October 15 : Juan de Valdés Leal , Spanish painter and sculptor (* 1622 )
- October 17th : Margareta Maria Alacoque , French nun, mystic and saint of the Catholic Church (* 1647 )
- October 30 : Hieronymus van Beverningh , Dutch statesman and diplomat (* 1614 )
- November 3 : Jean-Baptiste Colbert , French statesman (* 1651 )
- November 4th : Johann Wilhelm , Duke of Saxony-Jena (* 1675 )
- December 19 : Gustav Düben , Swedish court conductor, organist and composer (* around 1628)
- December 26th : Joachim Ernst von Grumbkow , Elector Brandenburg General and Minister of War (* 1637 )