Gabriele Lohs started out as a sculler and was the GDR youth champion in 1972 with the double foursome . In 1975 she won the Spartakiade and the junior championships of the GDR. Before the 1976 season she switched to oars , her trainer Richard Wecke formed a four-man team at SC Einheit Dresden with Karin Metze , Bianka Schwede , Gabriele Lohs, Andrea Kurth and taxwoman Sabine Heß . At the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal, women's rowing had its Olympic premiere. The boats from the GDR won four gold medals and two silver medals in the six boat classes. The first decision was the four with a helmsman and here the Dresden boat won the first Olympic gold medal in women's rowing. In 1977 all five rowers from the gold four were in the GDR eight, which won the third consecutive world championship in Amsterdam.
In 1978 after their marriage, Gabriele Kühn was the only rower from the 1977 world championship boat in the GDR eighth which won the silver medal behind the boat from the Soviet Union at the World Championships in New Zealand. In 1979 the eighth from the Soviet Union also won ahead of the boat from the GDR, but Gabriele Kühn was not there. In 1980, trainer Dieter Grahn changed hands again in the GDR eight: Martina Boesler , Kersten Neisser , Christiane Köpke , Birgit Schütz , Gabriele Kühn, Ilona Richter , Marita Sandig , Karin Metze and helmsman Marina Wilke won the 1980 Olympic Games by one second on the Soviet boat.
In 1976 and 1980 she was awarded the Patriotic Order of Merit in silver.
Gabriele Kühn studied civil engineering and worked in the Dresden branch of VEB Spezialhochbau Berlin.
- Volker Kluge : The great lexicon of GDR athletes. The 1000 most successful and popular athletes from the GDR, their successes and biographies. Schwarzkopf & Schwarzkopf, Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-89602-348-9 , page 224.
- the honor for the Olympic team of the GDR. Awarded high government awards. Patriotic Order of Merit in silver. In: New Germany . ZEFYS newspaper portal of the Berlin State Library , September 10, 1976, p. 4 , accessed on April 10, 2018 (free registration required).
- Neues Deutschland, August 22, 1980, p. 3
- Gabriele Kühn in the Sports-Reference database (English; archived from the original )
- German medals at world rowing championships
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lohs, Gabriele|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German rower|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 11, 1957|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dresden|