Music year 1914
|Music year 1914|
Fiddlin 'John Carson is the winner of
the second Georgia Old-Time Fiddlers' Conventions .
- February 19 : In the Teatro Regio in Turin which is opera Francesca da Rimini by Riccardo Zandonai premiered.
- April 1st : The world premiere of the opera Notre Dame by Franz Schmidt based on the novel The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo takes place under the direction of Franz Schalk at the Hofoper in Vienna. The soprano Marie Gutheil-Schoder sings the role of Esmeralda. The performance of the opera, which was written in 1903-06, had previously been rejected by Gustav Mahler and Felix Weingartner . The work was Schmidt's greatest success, but was soon forgotten.
- May 10 : The world premiere of the opera Die Sutlerin by Engelbert Humperdinck on the libretto by Robert Misch takes place in Cologne.
- May 15 : The opera Mârouf, savetier du Caire by Henri Rabaud is premiered at the Paris Opéra-Comique .
- June 11 : The world premiere of Don Juan's last adventure by Paul Graener takes place in Leipzig.
Also in 1914 the opera Cléopâtre by Jules Massenet appears
- January 4th : The world premiere of the operetta Die goldene Hanna by Leo Ascher takes place in the Apollo Theater in Vienna.
- January 31 : The world premiere of the operetta The First Kiss by Ludwig Rochlitzer takes place at the Carltheater in Vienna.
- February 10 : The world premiere of the operetta Endlich alone by Franz Lehár on a libretto by Alfred Maria Willner takes place at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna.
- February 14th : The operetta Jung-England by Leo Fall is premiered in Berlin .
- October 1st : The world premiere of Walter Kollo's operetta Always firm druff takes place in the Theater am Nollendorfplatz in Berlin.
- November 9th : The world premiere of the operetta All About Love by Oscar Straus takes place at the Johann Strauss Theater in Vienna.
- December 17th : The world premiere of Leo Ascher's operetta Was ist nicht aus der Liebe , at the Ronacher establishment in Vienna.
Further operetta premieres in 1914:
- Edmund Eysler : Spring on the Rhine .
- Carl Michael Ziehrer : The stupid heart (in Vienna).
- Emmerich Kálmán : I gave gold for iron (in Vienna).
- Heinrich Berté : The Prince Charming (in Hanover)
- Robert Stolz : The Lumperl in the Wilhelma Theater in Stuttgart.
- Ralph Benatzky : Prince's spring awakening! (Operetta); Anno 1914 (Singspiel); The Devil's Checkbook (Operetta); General Wutsikoff (operetta)
- May 27th : A London Symphony by Ralph Vaughan Williams premieres at Queen's Hall in London. The performance was a success, but a short time later the score was lost in the mail to the conductor Fritz Busch in Germany, around the same time as the First World War broke out.
- January 1st : New Year's premiere in Europe's theaters. After the 30-year copyright protection has Bayreuth no longer the monopoly on Parsifal by Richard Wagner .
- September: WC Handy releases the St. Louis Blues .
- October 15 : The Italian tenor Beniamino Gigli makes his operatic debut in Rovigo with the role of Enzo in Amilcare Ponchielli's La Gioconda .
- During the Mexican Revolution , the song La Cucaracha, directed against the troops of President Venustiano Carranza , became popular.
- Fiddlin 'John Carson is the winner of the second Georgia Old-Time Fiddlers' Conventions .
January to April
- January 1st : Edith Picht-Axenfeld , German harpsichordist († 2001 )
- January 9 : Kenny Clarke , American jazz musician († 1985 )
- January 15 : Kiyoshige Koyama , Japanese composer († 2009 )
- January 16 : Richard Eaton , Canadian choir director, organist and composer († 1968 )
- January 16 : Eugene "Buddy" Moss , American blues guitarist, harmonica player and singer († 1984 )
- February 9 : Ernest Tubb , American country singer and pioneer of honky tonk music († 1984 )
- February 10 : Larry Adler , American harmonica player († 2001 )
- February 18 : Pee Wee King , American country musician († 2000 )
- February 20 : Hans Pischner , German harpsichordist and musicologist († 2016 )
- February 24 : Otto von Rohr , German opera singer († 1982 )
- February 27 : Winifred Atwell , pianist from Trinidad († 1983 )
- March 5 : Philip Farkas , horn player and co-founder of the International Horn Society († 1992 )
- March 11 : William Lloyd Webber , English church musician and composer († 1982 )
- March 12 : Jan Kapr , Czech composer († 1988 )
- March 13 : Bob Haggart , American jazz musician, composer and arranger († 1998 )
- March 18 : César Guerra-Peixe , Brazilian composer († 1993 )
- March 30th : Sonny Boy Williamson I. , American blues musician († 1948 )
- April 7th : Madeleine Malraux , French pianist († 2014 )
- April 21 : Carlos García , Argentine tango pianist, orchestra conductor and composer († 2006 )
- April 22nd : Hans Baumann , German poet, songwriter, author of children's and young adult books († 1988 )
May to August
- May 9 : Ángel E. Lasala , Argentine composer and pianist († 2000 )
- May 9 : Carlo Maria Giulini , Italian conductor († 2005 )
- May 9 : Hank Snow , Canadian country singer († 1999 )
- May 9 : Peter Wehle , Austrian composer, author and cabaret artist († 1986 )
- May 22 : Sun Ra , jazz composer and jazz musician († 1993 )
- May 30 : Bobby Sherwood , American jazz guitarist († 1980 )
- May 31 : Akira Ifukube , Japanese composer and professor († 2006 )
- June 5 : Felix Aprahamian , British music critic and author († 2005 )
- June 7th : Ernst Bader , German song writer and composer († 1999 )
- June 9 : Hermann Haller , Swiss composer († 2002 )
- June 10 : Marvin Duchow , Canadian composer, musicologist and music teacher († 1979 )
- June 10 : Rosita Serrano , Chilean singer and actress († 1997 )
- June 19 : Lester Flatt , American country musician († 1979 )
- June 26 : Wolfgang Windgassen , German tenor († 1974 )
- June 29 : Rafael Kubelík , Swiss conductor and composer († 1996 )
- July 8 : Link Davis , American musician († 1972 )
- July 8 : Billy Eckstine , American jazz singer and band leader († 1993 )
- July 11 : Aníbal Troilo , Argentine musician, arranger, band leader and composer († 1975 )
- July 18 : Herbert Collum , German church musician († 1982 )
- July 19 : Josef Páleníček , Czech pianist and composer († 1991 )
- July 24th : Riccardo Malipiero , Italian composer († 2003 )
- July 31 : Isolde Ahlgrimm , Austrian harpsichordist († 1995 )
- August 2 : Roman Ryterband , Polish composer, conductor and pianist († 1979 )
- August 5 : Stjepan Šulek , Croatian composer and conductor († 1986 )
- August 8 : Ana Mercedes Asuaje de Rugeles , Venezuelan composer and music teacher († 2012 )
- August 9 : Ferenc Fricsay , Hungarian conductor († 1963 )
September to December
- September 5 : Guillermo Graetzer , Argentine composer, music teacher and musicologist († 1993 )
- September 7th : Graeme Bell , Australian jazz pianist, composer and bandleader († 2012 )
- September 14 : Michał Spisak , Polish composer († 1965 )
- September 15 : Gail Kubik , American composer, violinist and music teacher († 1984 )
- September 21 : Leroy Stewart , American jazz musician († 1987 )
- September 23 : Norman Cazden , American composer († 1980 )
- September 24 : Lee Moore , American country musician († 1997 )
- September 24 : Andrzej Panufnik , Polish composer († 1991 )
- September 24th : Horst Winter , German-Austrian musician († 2001 )
- October 3 : Sylvio Lacharité , Canadian conductor and composer († 1983 )
- October 10 : Ivory Joe Hunter , American R&B singer, pianist and songwriter († 1974 )
- October 12 : Thomas Windisch , composer, architect, painter, poet and pianist († 2005 )
- October 17th : Michael Danzinger , Austrian pianist, entertainer and composer († 2007 )
- October 19 : Gerd Sannemüller , German composer and musicologist († 2008 )
- October 20 : Fayard Antonio Nicholas , American dancer, singer and actor († 2006 )
- November 2 : Felicitas Kukuck , German composer († 2001 )
- November 13 : John Latouche , American writer and librettist († 1956 )
- November 14 : Eric Crozier , English opera director and librettist († 1994 )
- November 15 : Jorge Bolet , American-Cuban pianist († 1990 )
- November 20 : Fritz Goller , German composer († 1986 )
- November 25 : Eddie Boyd , American musician († 1994 )
- December 2 : Pops Staples , American gospel and R&B musician († 2000 )
- December 8th : Hilda Horak , Slovenian pianist, music teacher and composer († 1995 )
- December 10 : Erich Pizka , Austrian horn player and professor († 1996 )
- December 17th : Francis Bay , Belgian conductor († 2005 )
- December 18 : Connie Curtis Crayton , American blues singer and guitarist († 1985 )
Day of death secured
- January 14th : Franz Rudolph Wurlitzer , American musical instrument manufacturer
- February 3 : Wenzel Josef Heller , Bohemian composer, church musician, military bandmaster and choir director (* 1849 )
- March 1st : Tor Aulin , Swedish composer (* 1866 )
- March 3 : Victor Nováček , Czech violinist and music teacher (* 1875 )
- March 4 : Benjamin Dwight Allen , American composer (* 1831 )
- March 7th : Henryk Dobrzycki , Polish doctor, philanthropist and composer (* 1841 )
- March 17th : Giuseppe Buonamici , Italian composer (* 1846 )
- March 31 : Hubert von Herkomer , English painter, sculptor, musician and writer (* 1849 )
- April 12 : Josef Nešvera , Czech composer (* 1842 )
- August 2nd : Gabriel Dupont , French composer (* 1878 )
- August 28 : Anatoly Lyadow , Russian composer (* 1855 )
- October 7 : Gabriel Montoya , French chansonnier and poet (* 1868 )
- October 28 : Richard Heuberger , Austrian composer (* 1850 )
- November 26th : Eduard Kremser , Austrian composer, arranger and conductor (* 1838 )
- December 25 : Bernhard Stavenhagen , German composer (* 1862 )