|Canton||Voiron (main town)|
|Community association||Pays Voironnais|
|surface||21.90 km 2|
|Residents||20,108 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||918 inhabitants / km 2|
Voiron is a municipality with 20,108 inhabitants (at January 1, 2017) in the department of Isère in the region Auvergne Rhône-Alpes and is located in the southeast of France , about 23 of kilometers north-northwest prefecture Grenoble , 72 of the city km southeast Lyon and 100 km south-southwest of the City of Geneva (beeline). Voiron is bordered by the Massif du Vercors in the south and in the east by the Massif de la Chartreuse .
Various branches of industry are located in Voiron:
- Ski manufacture ; the Rossignol company is world famous.
- Textile industry
- Metal processing
- Furniture industry
- Food and luxury food industry
- retail trade
- Paper industry
- Road: Voiron can be reached via the French A48 motorway , exit “Voiron-Champfeuillet”.
- Rail: Voiron station is on the SNCF railway line between Lyon and Grenoble.
- the "Lazer", a regional high-speed train, connects Voiron with Grenoble several times a day.
- The closest airport is Grenoble / Saint-Geoirs .
As a holiday region, Voiron has a lot to offer:
- The necessary infrastructure for winter sports is available in the Vercors Mountains.
- The surrounding mountain ranges offer ideal opportunities for mountain hiking.
More than 40 years ago, in 1966, the city entered into a partnership with the German district of Herford and its nine municipalities in North Rhine-Westphalia . A partnership agreement followed in 1971 with Šibenik in Yugoslavia and in 1985 with Bassano del Grappa in the Italian province of Vicenza , Veneto .
During the Second World War , the surrounding Vercors Mountains were the stronghold of the French Resistance and the scene of bloody battles between French and Germans. At the scenes of the fighting there are plaques commemorating what happened and the victims of the " hereditary enemy " of that time .
- The chalk formations of the Vercors Mountains favor the creation of stalactite caves
- In the "Massif de la Chartreuse", the first is the Carthusian monastery , La Grande Chartreuse , the monks selected from 130 to 1737, a high percentage in their composition secret herbs liqueur making: The "Elixir Végétal" with 71 percent by volume of alcohol , with 55 percent alcohol by volume the “ Chartreuse green” (Chartreuse verte) and with around 40 percent by volume the “Chartreuse yellow” (Chartreuse jaune). The distillery in the city center can also be visited.
- The cityscape is dominated by the Saint Bruno church , built in the style of a cathedral in the 19th century .
- One of the oldest buildings in the city is the former parish church of Saint Pierre , built in the Middle Ages .
- A somewhat arduous ascent of around three quarters of an hour leads to the statue of Notre-Dame-de-Vouise on a hill above the city (737 m) with a beautiful view of the city and surrounding mountains.
- The city park with an area of 30,400 square meters was left to the city by will in 1921 by Marie-Thérèse Castelbon, née Becquart.
- Twice a week there is an open-air public market in the city.
- Homepage of the City of Voiron (French)