|Bundesstrasse 403 in Germany|
|Operator:||Federal Republic of Germany|
|Overall length:||61 km|
The federal highway 403 (abbreviation: B 403 ) is a north-west-south-east connection in the westernmost tip of Lower Saxony . It begins on the Dutch border near Coevorden / NL. There it takes over the traffic of the Euregio route of the national road N382 and leads southeast over Nordhorn to the A 31 . The last two kilometers are already in North Rhine-Westphalia.
This road runs mostly through the territory of the Grafschaft Bentheim . In contrast to the important Flemish Road (today's B 213 ), this road is only of regional importance. The northern section (Nordhorn – Uelsen – Hardenberg) was created in 1860, the southern section (Nordhorn – Bad Bentheim – Ochtrup – Münster) was created in 1861.
The national highway 403 was established in the early 1950s and expanded accordingly. In 1958 the asphalt federal road ended in Emlichheim, in the direction of Coevorden there was still only a simple sand road. This prompted the schoolchildren of the then Vorwald elementary school to write a protest poem to the then Federal Chancellor Konrad Adenauer , which was answered by the Federal Transport Minister Hans-Christoph Seebohm . On April 23, 1963, the completion of the extension of the B 403 to Coevorden could be celebrated, about which Seebohm then again sent a poem to the school.
Since the completion of the A 31, the B 403 no longer ends in Münster, but at the Ochtrup-Nord junction.
In recent years (as of 2011), numerous construction measures to relieve traffic in the neighboring cities ( bypass roads) and construction measures for road safety have been carried out. In 2003, after many years of preparation, the southern bypass in Neuenhaus was inaugurated. The B 403 was led around the city of Neuenhaus over a length of four kilometers, around 10.5 million euros were invested. In September 2010 a central junction for agricultural roads was inaugurated on the B 403 in Brandlecht , replacing four access roads. On December 16, 2010, the new level crossing on the B 403 was inaugurated in Hestrup with half barriers and a new signal system; In addition to increasing road safety, this should also serve to prepare for the reintroduction of local rail passenger transport in Grafschaft Bentheim.
The city of Nordhorn will receive a north bypass. The new route of the B 403 will run on the western section, the eastern section will be a new route of the B 213. Together, both roads will run southwards via the extended Nordhorn bypass. The corresponding plan approval procedure was initiated on January 22, 2008. The planning approval decision was made on May 31, 2011, construction began in 2015 with the first bridge structures.
- Lower Saxony
- North Rhine-Westphalia
The federal road 403 is one of the central traffic arteries in the Grafschaft Bentheim district. It is particularly important for the logistics of the Grafschafter economy. It serves as a feeder to the A 30 and A 31 motorways and integrates the Europark cross-border freight center in Emlichheim / Coevorden into the road transport infrastructure . In addition, the B 403 is an important location factor for the adjacent commercial and industrial areas.
- Project homepage of the northern bypass Nordhorn B 403 / B 213 at the Nds. State authority for road construction and traffic
- Grafschafter Nachrichten of August 26, 2004: A poem to "Landesvater" Adenauer .
- Grafschafter school history: Vorwald primary school ( Memento from December 15, 2010 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on July 2, 2011.
- Grafschafter Nachrichten of November 20, 2003: The end of an almost never-ending story. Southern bypass - Neue Straße clears the way to relieve traffic in the city of Neuenhaus .
- Grafschafter Nachrichten of September 30, 2010: accident blackspots defused. New central hub on the B 403 for agriculture .
- Grafschafter Nachrichten of December 17, 2010: Passenger train can come. BE puts modern security systems on the B 403 into operation .
- Lower Saxony State Authority for Road Construction and Transport: Nordhorn bypass in the course of federal highways 213 and 403 . April 5, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013
- A huge success for the region. Europark first cross-border freight center in Germany. , Grafschafter Nachrichten of June 18, 2011
- Good demand for commercial space , Grafschafter Nachrichten of October 8, 2010